It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Your pet peeves of other dog owners?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

Male Join date : 2012-07-07

Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 12:29 am

What is byb??
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 12:32 am

A BYB is a backyard breeder. Basically the people that are operating small time breeding businesses that really are just in it for the money and not to further the breed. Most of them don't do any sort of health or temperament testing and they'll breed whatever dogs they can get their hands on.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 4 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 12:54 am

Thanks for the insight still learning these acronyms.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 12:55 am

You will catch on. I remember when I first joined this forum - totally overwhelming Smile Go read the stickies. It will help big time.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 1:03 am

Thank you I will.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 5:47 am

Gunnersmatejmac wrote:
What is byb??

Before I came to this forum I use to think it meant Bring Your Beer.
Back to top Go down
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 7:20 am

Here4thePics wrote:
Gunnersmatejmac wrote:
What is byb??

Lol Laughing
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 8:16 am

It took me a while to figure out BYB.
My relatives are in the breeding for the money..
They breed Shelties. I am not real sure if they do health testing.. I really stay away from that topic with them.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 11:17 am

Here4thePics wrote:
Gunnersmatejmac wrote:
What is byb??

lol! You're awesome Len. Haha
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 11:45 am

Thanks for making my day a little bit better Len! Screw work today - and screw this excessive level of pollen. I think my eyes are gonna fall out from all this itching and watering. Sad
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 12:41 pm

My son shared this with me today and, in it's humorous way, it echoes one of our favorite pet peeves!

Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 4 Busine10
Back to top Go down
Phoenixsrequiem
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 6:04 am

Hm let's see... The top 3 things for me are:

1: everyone thinks my dogs are wolves Rolling Eyes they also think my agouti is a "police" dog and are terrified of him. He is 4 months old...He isn't going to hurt you..

2-whenever anyone sees Nova (9 month old red wooly) they MUST pet her. I've had random groups of kids run up to her and start petting her. Thank god Nova loves everyone and everything.

3- the most annoying thing I have encountered is people wanting to buy Nova. One seriously had people pull out their wallet and offer me money. Wtf? Who sells their dog to a random stranger?
Back to top Go down
SaberK
Adult
Adult
SaberK

Female Join date : 2012-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 10:52 am

My biggest pet peeve has got to be loose dogs. There are so many where I live.
Back in December I was walking Saber and a loose Chihuahua came running at us. Well, Saber grabbed him and pinned him on his back. By the time I pulled him off, Saber's nose was scratched and bleeding. Called animal control and the guy finally showed up almost an hour later and then treated me like I had done something wrong! He couldn't understand how a Chihuahua could have scratched my dog's nose. Yeah, like I made the whole thing up!
Needless to say, I had to take Saber to the vet for an injection and some antibiotics since he basically has no white blood cells to fight off any kind of infection. $150 that I never got back because someone decided to let their dog out unsupervised in front of their apartment building.
Back to top Go down
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 11:46 am

Did the chihuahua have any type of identification?
Back to top Go down
SaberK
Adult
Adult
SaberK

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 12:49 pm

Actually, I'm not sure it did. I was halfway down the block watching and two kids let the dog into an apartment building. It was a good thing I was watching where the dog went since animal control took their sweet time getting there.
Back to top Go down
Karen124
Newborn
Newborn
Karen124

Female Join date : 2012-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 4:07 pm

I love the rural area where I live but with no leash laws, it makes it a pain trying to walk your dog. I've resorted to bringing her to the high school and walking on the path outside the track and around the fenced-in parking lot. Then I have to deal with unleashed dogs following us outside the fence, barking their heads off.
Back to top Go down
SaberK
Adult
Adult
SaberK

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 4:22 pm

Wow, I can't imagine if there were no leash laws where I live. As bad as the problem is now, it would be so much worse.
Back to top Go down
g0tmus1c
Puppy
Puppy
g0tmus1c

Female Join date : 2012-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 12:57 pm

I get annoyed with people who are TOO defensive of their dogs at the park. Ok, I understand you don't want your dog to get hurt or bullied, but learn some basic dog body language and stop telling my dog who is just trying to play and be friendly with yours to get away.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 1:45 pm

g0tmus1c wrote:
I get annoyed with people who are TOO defensive of their dogs at the park. Ok, I understand you don't want your dog to get hurt or bullied, but learn some basic dog body language and stop telling my dog who is just trying to play and be friendly with yours to get away.

I hear that! People think Cato is being a butthead - he's a dumb puppy who wants to play with everyone. If your dog doesn't want to play with other dogs...why come to a dog park?
Back to top Go down
xredrainx
Teenager
Teenager
xredrainx

Male Join date : 2012-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 2:38 pm

Oh I hate small dogs that need to pick a fight with every dog at the dog park. Then you have to resort to picking up sed dog by the scruff when he is hurting your dog and putting him in the timeout zone because you rather not have to give that dog the people's elbow and the owner is to much of a twit to supervise their dog's behavior in a public venue.
Back to top Go down
Fenrir
Puppy
Puppy
Fenrir

Male Join date : 2012-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 3:03 pm

Most of these have already been said, but a more convenient soap box has never been set up for venting, so I'm going to jump on it.

1) No leash, no control - My former roommate used to argue with me that my dog would be fine outside without a leash. "Yeah, Apollo (his brother) runs off, but Fenrir's a good dog." He's still a dog, and he will run off, even from me. How often do random dogs just run up and attack people, attack other dogs, hop fences and impregnate the neighborhood bitches? Your dog needs to be walled or under your direct control. What is it with us Americans and our apathy towards inconveniencing others?
2) Clean up after it! - I've confronted numerous people about leaving their dogs' crap at the park (and if I could find the owners of loose dogs, you'd best believe I'd be a their front doors with a poop bag and a treasure map). The average response from these people (all of them have been male, sadly) is "Very Happy Shit happens." Yes, shit does happen, but I've never met anyone whose advice would be to ignore when shit happens. When problems beset you, you address them and move forward. Clean up the issue. Clean up your dog's shit.
3) Understand what playfulness is - It's not uncommon for little dog people to freak out when my dog comes near theirs, even though there's a little dog side to keep them separated and these morons bring them over to the big dog side anyway...ugh, another time, another time, Cameron! Yes, I'm certain that my dog's playfulness is more rough than your little Fluffy is used to. It's because this is the big dog side. We play like big dogs here.
4-a) Understand what playfulness isn't - Aggression - Big or small, aggression is not cute. If your dog continues snapping at my dog when I've put myself between them, that's not playfulness. When your dog snarls and snaps at everything, that's aggression. Get it on a leash and get it out. It does not belong here. My dog plays rough, but when the owner steps in, my dog will back off (except when they pick up the small dog, then Fenrir might start jumping up to look at it, but he never snaps towards it or touches the owner with his paws).
4-b) Understand what playfulness isn't - Humping - Dogs will hump, and most dogs are okay with it. When a dog isn't brought up with any feelings of alpha mentality, they don't seem to mind humping, and it even becomes a game to them. That's fine. Most dogs are okay with it. But if your dog is going around energetically humping everything, and snarling when the favor is returned, it's time to take it home. If I ever see the owners of the German Shorthaired that obsessively humped my dog, then bit his snout open when he humped him back, you'd better believe I'll be going after them for damages.

5) Neutering - I've spaced this one out because I actually want a response to it. When do you think is the appropriate time to neuter/spay a dog? I know some people believe that, if you're not going to breed them, you should fix them. I disagree and, yes, being male, I take it rather personally when people suggest all dogs should just be fixed. My dog is not aggressive nor hyperactive, and he does not assert dominant behavior unless it's asserted to him first, so I see no reason to neuter him. Should he begin to show dominance-aggression and compulsive humping, though, I will gladly neuter him because I refuse to have a dog that puts others in danger because I don't want his nuts cut off. In the meantime, there are plenty of intact dogs that don't cause problems and, as long as the owners watch them, won't be making any accidental puppies.

6) Negligent owners - Not scooping poop, not addressing aggression, not teaching manners, not feeding properly, not taking them to the vet, etc etc etc. My largest issue here is people who drop their dog off at the park and leave. Drives me nuts. Once, some friends and I barbecued in the pavilion just outside the park and we let our dogs inside, but I still asked a couple of people I knew to keep an eye on them for us.
7) Not a petting zoo, not a playground - I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to smack a brat who took over the kiddie pools (there for the dogs), played with the hose, or treated the structures as playground equipment. People bring their kids there and let them run loose, without a care in the world. It's not the kids' faults -- they're kids, this is what they do. It's the negligent parent that doesn't take into account that some dogs don't like kids, especially when they run up to them in mid-play and grab their tails. It's the negligent parent that gets pissed when little Susie gets knocked over by a chocolate lab sprinting at maximum velocity away from a dalmation. Yes, owners should control their dogs, but there is no dial on the park's safety level -- dogs that are being dogs should not have to be restrained because you brought your kid with you. Watch your kid. At least seven times, I've scooped up little kids right before they got mowed over, while their parents just laughed "Oh, that was close!" AGH!
8!) Your Rottweiler is not pulling a cart - So leave the tail alone. I hate that dogs are such a fashion issue these days, small and large. The things that breeders have done to some breeds are horrible, but how do you excuse docking tails and ears for a dog that doesn't need to have their ears or tails docked? If your Rotty isn't pulling carts, it can keep the tail. If your pitbull isn't fighting in a cagematch, there's no reason it can't still have ears. Stop mutilating your damn dogs.
9) Racial profiling - No, a pitbull is not an inherently vicious dog. Neither are shepherds (unless you break into their homes), huskies, akitas, dobermans, mastiffs, great danes, or any of those big, scary dogs.
10) Cry not "Havoc!" - You are not Roman and your Mastiff is not going to war. There is no reason it has to be ridiculously large (100 lb huskies?), there is no reason to teach it to "sick 'em." Your dog is not your servant. It is not there to wait on you hand and foot, it is not there to open your beer can for you. Another former roommate of mine once told me that "his dogs are expected to lay down when he's not fucking with them." No, just...no. If you can't have a dog without giving it a miserable existence, don't get it.

11) I was only going to 10, but let's crank this baby to 11! - Buying a pet is not like buying a television. It is not some inanimate object that sits in your house until you want to play with it. It is not a "set it and forget it" deal. It requires attention and you should expect to invest money into it over an extended period of time. This includes vet bills, grooming, toys, etc. Similarly, you had better know what you're getting into. A husky is not going to just "lay down when you're not messing with it." If you want a pet that you don't have to treat as an investment, get a goldfish. Or a hamster.
Back to top Go down
SaberK
Adult
Adult
SaberK

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 5:08 pm

In response to your neutering pet peeve, my dog was not neutered until he was 5 or 6 years old. He was never aggressive or dominant before that. I got him neutered because he got a UTI while he was being boarded when I was on vacation. The UTI caused his prostate to become enlarged. Fixing him helped the prostate. Unfortunately to this day (he's 13), he has had occasional bouts of prostatitis (prostate infection) and his prostate is still a bit larger than it should be for a dog that's been neutered. It could only be a coincidence, but I think about if I would have gotten him neutered when he was much younger, would he have these problems now?
Anyway, just my thoughts on the subject!
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 5:08 pm

Fenrir wrote:

A husky is not going to just "lay down when you're not messing with it." If you want a pet that you don't have to treat as an investment, get a goldfish. Or a hamster.

You never met maggie the malamute lol! She is super lazy and calm. When she isn't playing she is sleeping all the time! I bring her to dog parks she plays for 10-15 mins then she lays down next to me. one time she did play for an hour I was shocked.

I know what your saying though. I do take time to spend with her but I swear so many malamutes are like this. lol
Back to top Go down
Gilly
Puppy
Puppy
Gilly

Male Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 5:18 pm

Khuno is not fixed. I was going to breed him because his temperament is just so amazing for a husky. I'm not going to do a BYB thing with him.. i think that is just wrong. I would only want to breed him with a reputable breeder if they would agree to it. However, I have not done any research on the subject so that is still up in the air.

Being, 15 months old, Khuno is the way he's going to be the rest of his life until late in it. If something goes wrong with him health wise and neutering will help, then it will be done. other then that, i'm not going to fix him.

He is a great dog, in fact one of the best huskys i've ever come across male or female. does he do some annoying male things like want to mark every tree and bush even though i tell him to leave it? yes... does he do the happy feet dance when he's done marking something that some other dog has marked? yes.. will this make me fix him? no.

btw... 9 more posts until 100!!!!
Back to top Go down
SaberK
Adult
Adult
SaberK

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 5:31 pm

I can tell you, fixing Saber did nothing to stop his marking. It's still as constant as it ever was!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Your pet peeves of other dog owners?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next