It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

New Husky owner

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MikeMac
Newborn
Newborn

New Husky owner Empty
PostSubject: New Husky owner   New Husky owner EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 12:31 pm

Hi,
I am a Brand New Husky owner. I have had 2 other dogs before. (Bull terrior and English Bulldog) They are no longer with me since my sister moved out and wanted to take them. Sad Now My fiance and I just got a new 8 week old Husky puppy. She has had her 1st shots and getting he 2nd tomorrow. I have read tons about having a Husky and know it is alot of work. Right now she is in doggy day care because I dont want her to be left alone at home. She will be at doggy dare care 4 days out the week 9-5. I make sure I wake up around 7 am so we can play for about an hour then go to the day care. When I get home we exercise. Do you guys see day care as a problem? Also Lexy dosent have many acciendents (since I am constantly going outside with her to use the restroom )in here kennel which we are trying to train her, but it is very diffucly because it seems like she dosent like any doggy treats, So the only way to acknowlege her good is to be super happy and pet her. Are there any treats that huskys love? Right now she does not like being in the crate at night and crys most of the night. I try to tire her but still nothing. I need adivice on what to d at not so she wont whine. Any adive given would be a great help. I love Lexy already and will never give up on her, not like what I read from other places. I know she is still young and has plenty to learn but help on how she could learn would be great thanks.

PS Al; she does is know her Name nothing else. The treat thing is what I need help with the most atleast if she did well on bathroom, sitting or anything she could be congrated for it.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

New Husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Husky owner   New Husky owner EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 12:39 pm

Wait so dogs can go into daycare at 8 weeks? O.O I feel really dumb. I've been taking Cloud and Yuki to a friends house while I'm at work because I thought Yuki wouldn't be able to go into daycare until she was 4 months old and had all her shots.
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

Female Join date : 2012-09-05

New Husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Husky owner   New Husky owner EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 12:43 pm

I wouldn't have an 8 week old in daycare just because she doesn't have all her shots yet. You never know what the other dogs have or can carry and pass on to her. Same with pet stores, dog parks, anywhere sick dogs could have been. Wait until she's got all her shots.

Treats don't have to be the only type of reward. Sometimes all they want is that belly rub reward! If she has a favorite toy, you could use that as a reward too. Or mix up the treats. Maybe tiny pieces of hot dog or some reduced fat peanut butter (just make sure she's got water). You can experiment to see what exactly your dog will respond to. Just beware of the things that are toxic to dogs. No chocolate, grapes, raisins, and there's a few other things they shouldn't have.

Continue tiring her out before bed. Something else you could try is putting the crate next to your bed for a little while and putting your hand down to pet her when she cries. You can gradually decrease this and eventually begin moving the crate away but right now, she's not used to sleeping alone. She's most likely been sleeping with her litter for 8 weeks and needs the comfort of knowing someone's there.

Working on crate training during the day will help too. Leave the crate open and occasionally drop treats in there. Eventually start closing the door for a few seconds. Then work on closing the door and leaving the room to come right back in.
Back to top Go down
MikeMac
Newborn
Newborn

New Husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Husky owner   New Husky owner EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 12:53 pm

Great,
From what I heard from the daycare she is not allowed to interact with other dogs. She is allowed out for walks restroom breaks. Human interaction for now because she is so young. I just dont want to leave her in a crate for 4 hours until lunch and then take her out. I would like her to be socialized....
We will be at the Vets tomorrow and find out more info on if it is ok. I will continue to tire her out. i read about a clock ticking? I dont know if anyone else has tried that. Thanks for the help my main concern is just for my puppy to be happy and repsect me.
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

New Husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Husky owner   New Husky owner EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 12:59 pm

I haven't tried the clock ticking. I just kind of suffered through a few sleep deprived nights before Callie got into routine. The daycare situation does sound okay since she's separated from the others but definitely ask the vet. I think you'll find socialization comes easily. If you live in an urban area, you'll meet plenty of people on walks. And once she has her shots, she can meet other dogs at the park or if you take her to petsmart or training classes. And of course, then she'll be able to play with the others at daycare. Don't worry. She'll be your best friend as long as she knows she's loved. Be consistent with your training and she'll respect you.
Back to top Go down
MikeMac
Newborn
Newborn

New Husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Husky owner   New Husky owner EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 10:04 am

Ok tried the hotdog thing and that was a no go. I even tried her own dog food and all she does is ignore it and lay down.... Also I been waking up every 3 hours at night to let her do her business and it seems like even when I let her out and she pee's a couple hours later she a pooped in her crate with poop all over her. Should I start going out every 2 hours? I want her to learn she has to hold it but I understand she is a puppy.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

New Husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Husky owner   New Husky owner EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 12:08 pm

For treats, you could try boiled chicken breast. I usually just buy it with the bone, put it in a pot and boil it for about a half hour until it is done, then pick it off the bone. They are pretty cheap and my dogs LOVE them! I also used Bill-Jac chicken liver. They smell really bad but they respond well to them. You just have to find what your pup will respond to.

With Nikko, I never gave him treats for going potty, just praise and most importantly ROUTINE! It took forever to get him housetrained though, and with Yukon I have been using treats for going potty outside, and he has picked it up faster than Nikko had. I am not sure if this is just coincidence or if it has to do with treats.

As for day care, I think it is a great idea and I wish I could do that with mine. I am surprised they will accept her at such a young age; all of the ones around here make you wait until they have their final shots and the rabies shot. I have a 10 week old pup and I just leave him in the crate while I am at work, and I am gone from 8am until noon and again from 1pm until 5pm. I say, if you can afford it then go for it, but I don’t think it is a necessity. My boys do fine being in their crates during the day, as long as I give them exercise in the evenings.

My advice for sleeping at night, still continue to tire her out before bed and don’t let her eat or drink anything 2-3 hours before bedtime. Then put her in the crate in your bedroom. If she starts whining just tap the crate and say “quiet”. It should take few nights before she gets the hint. If you take her out every time she cries she will continue to do so since she will equate crying with getting out of the crate. She should be able to hold it through the night though, Yukon goes to bed at 10pm and I don’t let him out again until 5am at the earliest. How large is your crate? Dogs don’t soil where they sleep, so if she has too much room then that would be the reason she went inside the crate. All she needs is room to turn around and lay down.

So, what worked for me is to have them on a routine, but not everyone and every dog is the same, so what works for some may not work for you. Here is my schedule for them to give you an idea:

6am – 7am - wake up, potty, eat, walk, play, potty
7am – 12pm - in crate
12pm – 1pm - potty, play, potty
1pm – 5pm - in crate
5pm – 8pm – potty, eat, 3 walks, play, potty
8pm – put water up
8pm-10pm – play, relax time, potty before bed
10pm-6am – in crate for bed
Back to top Go down
MikeMac
Newborn
Newborn

New Husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Husky owner   New Husky owner EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 2:05 pm

Thanks. For treats I will try that. I have tried almost everything to peanutbutter to her own blue buffalo kebble.
I will try to keep her schedule the same right now it is.

730 am potty eat and play
830 am daycare
5pm - 7pm Pick up from daycare potty play
7pm-11pm play play rest potty sleep
2am or 3am depending on what time she went in. I let her out for a potty break. Then back in the crate.

I will start taking water away at 8pm and see if that helps.
Seems like it takes longer than 30 mins for her to poop after eating she pees frequently, just pooping cant really read her on that yet.
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

New Husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Husky owner   New Husky owner EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 2:45 pm

Yeah, it's really all about finding out what your dog will react to. She might not be food motivated. Then you just have to find out what she does like. Callie goes nuts for ice cubes or a tennis ball. If you notice something she really seems to love, use that to your advantage. It can serve as a reward. Is she more playful with toys or does she prefer to always have that human contact? Some dogs are more than happy to listen if it means you'll pet them.

What time is dinner? At first, pottying in a timely manner took forever for me too. Eventually she'll start going right away so she can get to play time. Be sure to let her know she can't play until she does her business. Taking the water away should help a lot. You might see that just by doing that takes out that middle of the night potty break.
Back to top Go down
MikeMac
Newborn
Newborn

New Husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Husky owner   New Husky owner EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 3:07 pm

7 is dinner.
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

New Husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Husky owner   New Husky owner EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 3:16 pm

If you're really having trouble with the potty thing, I'd try moving dinner up. Callie has breakfast about the same time as your pup, but her dinner is between 5 and 6. Then it's outside to potty and play and she stays outside for a good amount of time. Then it's usually just a little bit of water before that's cut off for the night and one more potty break before bed (or a long walk if she's really out of hand). My main thing is everyone says take them out to potty 10 minutes after eating but Callie usually doesn't go until at least a half hour after eating. If you can get an idea of how long it'll be before your dog has to go, you'll have a better idea on when to give dinner and when to go outside.
Back to top Go down
MikeMac
Newborn
Newborn

New Husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Husky owner   New Husky owner EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 11:48 am

Another question how many times should I be feeding her and how much. Right now I am only feeding her twice a day and its only a half a cup full of blue buffalo I feel bad because she looks hungry sometimes eating grass. The breeder told me she shouldnt be eating more though.

Last edited by MikeMac on Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

New Husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Husky owner   New Husky owner EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 11:53 am

For an 8 week old my suggestion is that you feed her 3x per day and about ½ to ¾ cup per feeding. That is what I started both mine on. Once Nikko was about 6 months old I cut down to 1 cup twice per day.

I have been told that you can feed them once a day after they are 9-12 months old, but I think I will keep mine on the twice a day feedings. I think it is better for them to digest rather than eat 2 cups of food in one sitting.

I am going through the same thing with Yukon, he always seems hungry and wanting food
Back to top Go down
KotaBear
Teenager
Teenager

Female Join date : 2012-09-09

New Husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Husky owner   New Husky owner EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 12:25 pm

I know know first hand how stressful potty training and crate training is, as I literally jut went through it. Try not to get discouraged at accidents in the house. It's completely normal. Don't punish her for it because that may just set her back and make training harder. She just doesn't understand yet by with the repetition she will get it just fine!!

Here's my suggestion for potty training: Learn her routin as muh as having her learn yours. With Kota I knew if she drank water, 15 mins later she would need to pee. If we played, she would need to pee, if she ate 30 mins later she would need to poop. You'll learn when she need to Ohio and pick up on little hints she gives when she needs to potty. I recommend keeping her tethered to you as giving her very free roam just so you can consistently keep up I those little indications she needs to potty. With Kota, she either laided on the couch with me or leashed in the living room unless we were playing. She slept a lot as a pup so I knew when she got up and starte getting ansy to take her out. I kept her one the leash till she pottyed so he knew we were there to potty ad not to play. I took her to the same spot EVERYTIME so she knew the smell and it help trigger her to pee/poop. If she didn't we would go back inside and try again every 15 mins till she did. It's a lot of work and time consuming but we ha great results!! I over looked the accidents in te crate while I was gone because I understood she wasn't able to hold it yet. We also feed her and took away her water at the same time everyday. Around 7-8 knowing that I wouldn't go to bed till 10. That gave her plenty of time to empty her bladder and a lot of times we could go an entire night without needing to go outside. It will take time, but keep with it even when it's so frustrating. I would recommend training bells to hang on all your outside doors once she gets older and starts being able to go outside I her own. Kota did great with those. She got use to us ringing them when we took her out and started ringing them too!!

Crate training is one thing I can'th help with as I failed miserably at it. I tried crating her at night but her screaming and crying broke my heart. I ended up just letting her sleep with me. Since she couldn't get off the bed and for some reason she ALWAYS woke me when she neede to potty. We never once had an accident in my bed. I tried everything. Warm water bottles, ticking clock, old shirts, keeping her next to me. Just about every trick in the book and no luck. She could be completely knocked out and the moment se was in her crate she was screaming and crying all night! Durnin the day though I had to crate her because of work. She hated it but I wasn't home to hear her cry whichever it okay I guess. When we were home and not playing we worked on loving the crate. Putting treats in it, sitting in it, just spending time in and around it. Eventually she just started going in it I get own to play with toys and chew on bones. It was er own little safe place. Make sure to NEVER use the crate as punishment. You want er feel safe there and of she knows that's where she goes when she is in trouble she will always hate it. We worked a lot with treats and coaxing her to get in on her home with "Kota get in your house" and now she goes in on her own. I still make ire she has toys and treats but for a dog that was so against it in the beginning she does great now.

So jut like potty training jus keep at it. Don't get frustrated and annoyed because your new baby will get it I promise. Smile
Back to top Go down
Unique Melody
Newborn
Newborn
Unique Melody

New Husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Husky owner   New Husky owner EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 11:19 am

My pups absolutely love carrots so as training treats they get a piece of baby carrot for a properly executed command. They are cold ad crunchy and have worked wonderfully! Good luck.
Back to top Go down
MikeMac
Newborn
Newborn

New Husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Husky owner   New Husky owner EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 10:28 am

I had to bring this tread back.... Lexy is going great with the crate now Very Happy , but now it seems like we have went backwards with potty training. This last week we have had a accident everyday. Poop or Pee. Im thinking that I was letting her out so much she didnt have any way to tell me she needs to go. Now that Im not opening the door to let her out often, she just walks away from us and goes. The odd thing is that she is always sniffing in the house. So I cant tell if she is sniffing to used the rest room or just to be doing it. We use treats now (Blue BUffalo salmon) when she goes outside. Just doesnt seem like she gets it all of the sudden. Before it was simple, she was going on schedule and when I would freak out thinkning she had to go but didnt. Now Im just paying the price thinkng she dosent have to go but does...???? I always take her out at the same time feed her at the same time and for the most part she is ok its just that after dinner time is where it has been blurry for her. In the morning and afternoon she is great and she dosent go in the crate. At night after dinner some times she goes poop and sometimes she dosent thats when its diffuclt for us. When she is sniffing we dont know for what reason. She dosent sit by the door anymore or anything to my knowlege ,she just walks away and we have to follow her and she will just go.

You guys always help and help me so much already any input would help
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Husky owner   New Husky owner Empty

Back to top Go down

New Husky owner

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1