It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Huskies in the news

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
shirl51
Puppy
Puppy
shirl51

Female Join date : 2011-09-08

Huskies in the news Empty
PostSubject: Huskies in the news   Huskies in the news EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 10:14 pm

As we know Huskies are on the bad dog list for insurance companies, finally some attention is being done.

http://cbs12.com/news/top-stories/stories/dogs-deemed-dangerous-condo-assoc-3144.shtml

Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Huskies in the news   Huskies in the news EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 10:27 pm

Oh how funny! I was about to post this! These two people are part of our meet up group! Denise is actually a good friend and Phill runs the husky rescue!
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Huskies in the news   Huskies in the news EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 1:24 am

The sad thing is we had the same problem moving into the city. No one wanted to allow us to have Huskies and this was before I got Anna. I would tell them I'm sorry I'm going to pick up this puppy we will have to find somewhere else.

I asked one of the ladies and she said the list is not based off of whether they are aggressive, like the name of the list, but what dogs can do the most damage. Yes there are very, very few cases of Huskies biting people but the cases that have happened were damaging or so I was told. So I personally think the list is dumb. The apartment complex we did finally find even allows German Shepherds which is very uncommon. They only deny Pit Bulls, Rotties, Chows, and Dobermans I think. But our company was bought by another and if they told me I couldn't have Anna and I had to get rid of her I would have to find someone to sublease my apartment.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Huskies in the news   Huskies in the news EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 1:30 am

I'm having this problem right now Sad It's impossible for me to move out because even if I can find a place that accepts dogs, every single time I mention I have a husky I get 'oh we can't have those' or if I ask if there is a list of breeds they dont accept husky is the second or third one they mention. It's extremely frustrating.
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

PostSubject: Re: Huskies in the news   Huskies in the news EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 1:46 am

I understand. Keep looking and stay positive! Thankfully the one place we found was a little expensive but it is very nice and it allows us to have our big baby:)
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Huskies in the news   Huskies in the news EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 1:48 am

I found out today that my brother lost his homeowners insurance because they got a Rottie puppy. I think it's crazy that they can do that no matter the breed.
Back to top Go down
Robinhuskylover2231
Teenager
Teenager
Robinhuskylover2231

PostSubject: Re: Huskies in the news   Huskies in the news EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 2:10 am

I don't think that we have any lists here... the only dog I know is banned is pitbull but that's all I've ever heard of.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Huskies in the news   Huskies in the news EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 2:38 am

26nikita wrote:
I found out today that my brother lost his homeowners insurance because they got a Rottie puppy. I think it's crazy that they can do that no matter the breed.

That sucks! Who was his carrier?

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Huskies in the news 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Huskies in the news   Huskies in the news EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 8:07 am

anastasiya'smom wrote:
But our company was bought by another and if they told me I couldn't have Anna and I had to get rid of her I would have to find someone to sublease my apartment.

I'd fight/sue on that one. You have a lease which should be grandfathered in from previous building management. The new company would have the option to NOT renew your lease once your present one expires but for the present lease they should have to honor it.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Huskies in the news   Huskies in the news EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 9:17 am

Around my area there are plenty of apartments that will accept Huskies, but they are really run down places that are pretty ghetto.

The nicer places around here that don't have strict breed restrictions have weight limits. The dog or combined dog's can't exceed 35 pounds.

Very frustrating.
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

PostSubject: Re: Huskies in the news   Huskies in the news EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 2:04 pm

Here4thePics wrote:
anastasiya'smom wrote:
But our company was bought by another and if they told me I couldn't have Anna and I had to get rid of her I would have to find someone to sublease my apartment.

I'd fight/sue on that one. You have a lease which should be grandfathered in from previous building management. The new company would have the option to NOT renew your lease once your present one expires but for the present lease they should have to honor it.

Thankfully they haven't that was just an if they do situation. The company seems very strict. We won't be renewing our lease anyways. They want us to have $500,000 in renters insurance.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Huskies in the news   Huskies in the news EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 3:27 pm

Thankfully base housing isn't very strict on dogs...you do have to pay a pet deposit if you have a pit but not for any other dog although any wolf breeds are not allowed. But then in Hawaii pits aren't allowed at all. If we get the orders we want next we'll be buying a house and then no one can tell us anything.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Huskies in the news   Huskies in the news EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 4:01 pm

Roxy, your base doesn't have restrictions? Unless grandfathered in, all the bases I've heard of don't allow mastiffs/pits and possibly dobies or rots, can't remember on the last two, just know pits and mastiffs as not allowed for sure.
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Huskies in the news   Huskies in the news EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 4:15 pm

Most places around here have weight restrictions on dogs, usually no more than 25 lbs and you can usually only have 2 animals. I'm sure they also have breed restrictions, but I haven't gone that deep into it. That's my biggest issue with when me and my fiance move in together, we're trying desperately to be able to buy a house and I'm really reluctant to move into an apartment because I know it will be nearly impossible to find one that will allow a bigger dog.

Shorty4lyfe89
Teenager
Teenager
Shorty4lyfe89

Female Join date : 2012-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Huskies in the news   Huskies in the news EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 4:27 pm

I'm going through this now too. We are still waiting for the lady to return our money...4 months later because "we knew" she was dangerous. I'd rather never get my money back then have to give my dog up.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Huskies in the news   Huskies in the news EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 8:57 pm

Quote :
Roxy, your base doesn't have restrictions? Unless grandfathered in, all the bases I've heard of don't allow mastiffs/pits and possibly dobies or rots, can't remember on the last two, just know pits and mastiffs as not allowed for sure.
Well I thought there would be too, but when I looked into it, just to make sure it was OK for us to have Karli, they don't. Besides the fact that over half the houses here have pits in the backyard. So either they're allowed with a hefty fee or people aren't telling housing that's the kind of dog they have.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Huskies in the news   Huskies in the news EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 9:07 pm

cinnamonbits wrote:
Quote :
Well I thought there would be too, but when I looked into it, just to make sure it was OK for us to have Karli, they don't. Besides the fact that over half the houses here have pits in the backyard. So either they're allowed with a hefty fee or people aren't telling housing that's the kind of dog they have.

I'd bet on the latter, since there's a DoD wide ban on Pits (as well as some others). Do contact the housing office the next time you PCS, because there are some bases that do ban Huskies. So far I know Beale AFB and Naval Station Great Lakes do for sure, and I've been digging around trying to find others that do as well. One of these years I'll have time to get that little project done, because I'd like to post a complete list here for all our military members.

On a side note, I have heard that a lot of bases are upping their pet limit from 2 to 4 Smile

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Huskies in the news 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Huskies in the news   Huskies in the news EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 9:59 pm

blueeyedghost wrote:
26nikita wrote:

That sucks! Who was his carrier?

I don't think they mentioned it, they just told me they had to go to State Farm. Apparently SF doesn't have a banned list.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Huskies in the news   Huskies in the news EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 12:50 pm

http://animaltracks.today.com/_news/2012/12/18/15994738-hero-husky-honks-horn-helps-police-rescue-trapped-animals?lite

I saw this story and people made me so mad to do this to these animals.

The husky is a hero.
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Huskies in the news   Huskies in the news EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 12:58 pm

My Mom called to tell me about that last night. Poor things. I just can't imagine why the heck anyone would leave the animals in a vehicle. How horrible. I don't get how people can do such sick things to cute innocent animals. All they do is love their owner unconditionally, and they get treated like that?! Mad I hope those 2 get a nice long prison sentence.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Huskies in the news   Huskies in the news EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 1:03 pm

Wow they could get the dogs back! Wow, just wow, hope they don't have the D to do that and I hope they find the owners, so sad

Puppy
Puppy
SierraCalloni

Female Join date : 2012-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Huskies in the news   Huskies in the news EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 2:12 pm

I am so thankful i live out in the country! I dont know what i would do if someone said i couldnt have my Oakley!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Huskies in the news   Huskies in the news Empty

Back to top Go down

Huskies in the news

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1