It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 23 ... 27  Next
AuthorMessage
Hollyfrost
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2013-10-24

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 19 EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 8:54 am

n/t n/t

Last edited by Hollyfrost on Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hollyfrost
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 19 EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 4:27 pm

n/t n/t

Last edited by Hollyfrost on Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Playing with the Big Dogs
Adult
Adult

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 19 EmptySat Mar 29, 2014 9:35 pm

This is my almost 5 month old husky puppy.

Please keep in mind I have no show experience and this is just my sister holding him while I take pictures with my cell phone. I never have the good camera when I have someone to help.  

Also Simon needs a bath his coat normally does not look that bad but I have been wanting the have the show people tell me how Simon measures up for a bit and haven't had an option or place to get pictures.

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 19 Img_2020

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 19 Img_2021

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 19 Img_2022

Yorkie for scale.
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 19 Img_2023
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

Female Join date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 19 EmptySun Mar 30, 2014 11:16 am

Wow, I didn't realize how big Simon has gotten! He's still got that fluffy "show" look. Of course, with puppies it's hard to judge against the standard but it looks like he's on the right track. Smile
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 19 EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 9:56 am

Ha ha, at first, I thought it said, "Yorkie for sale." I need more coffee...

I think Simon is developing very nicely. Slowly, but nicely. I wish Dizzy would have grown more slowly. Smile

Here is a thread I started about him when he was around the same age as Simon. You can see how grown up he looks in these pix as compared to Simon. https://www.itsahuskything.com/t10721-dizzy-stack-pic-pedigree-questions?highlight=dizzy Also, some other members posted some pix of their show puppies so I could see a comparison between the two which was very helpful.

Overall, I really like how balanced Simon appears. Diz was kind of a mess at that age ha ha. Simon has nice length of leg and a nice neck. I always notice neck because Diz had none at that age. I think Simon is a little short in body, but that will definitely change as he gets older. Dizzy has definitely gotten longer.

Are you planning to show Simon? Smile
Back to top Go down
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 19 EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 4:35 pm

No Jen my mom would be pissed if I sold her dog.

Wow Simon looks way younger than Dizzy did at the same age. And he is really fluffy compared to a lot of the other young dogs even the show ones. I like that both Simon and Dizzy let there ears droop if they are tired or just relaxing.

Simon has been getting longer every time I look at him he just looks huge. But I have always though he looked like a very well proportion dog.

I am pretty sure his breeder said I could show him if I wanted to. I would double check with her before considering. But I don't think so. I just don't have any experience with either grooming or showing and it would be just for fun at the shows close by so I wouldn't want to pay a handler and a groomer and not get to be the one having fun. If I knew people close who did it I might consider it but I don't.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 19 EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 6:15 pm

Simon is likely going to have an overly plush coat, not entirely incorrect but not the ideal coat either. It's in his lines. Given that, grooming for show will be much more time consuming. Denali has spots of overly dense coat, I have to line comb weekly to keep it separated, and then daily 2 weeks before showing. Not what my 'idea' of a starting show dog was, but I figure if I can groom this boy a more appropriate coat won't be that difficult Wink

I agree he's looking kinda cobby bodied, which again you'll be fighting genetics on that as well. The lines he comes from are slower maturing, but I assume you were told that. It will be interesting to see how he turns out.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 19 EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 9:51 pm

HuskyMom09 wrote:
Simon is likely going to have an overly plush coat, not entirely incorrect but not the ideal coat either.  It's in his lines.  Given that, grooming for show will be much more time consuming.  Denali has spots of overly dense coat, I have to line comb weekly to keep it separated, and then daily 2 weeks before showing.  Not what my 'idea' of a starting show dog was, but I figure if I can groom this boy a more appropriate coat won't be that difficult Wink

I agree he's looking kinda cobby bodied, which again you'll be fighting genetics on that as well. The lines he comes from are slower maturing, but I assume you were told that.  It will be interesting to see how he turns out.

Thank you for your response I was hoping you would chime in. I know you know more about his lines than most although his mom didn't look super plushy to me. But his dad and grandpa are kind of fluff balls. Could you explain what :"line comb" means?

Yeah the breeder said she normally doesn't make her final call on show dogs until they are 2 (unless they have a clear flaw) because they normally don't fully grow up until then. Question on that, should I wait a little longer with biking and sledding if he is going to be growing longer?

In a few months I will take some more pictures so we can see how he is changing.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 19 EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 12:35 am

Line Combing- http://www.netplaces.com/dog-grooming/brushing-101/line-brushing.htm

You'll have to remind me who Digit was bred to, I thought Salle but at the same time I don't think that's right...June?

I'm not sure where Digit got that plush coat, Ash certainly didn't have a plush nor did Jaime...his sister Mira isn't overly plush either.  Though it seems Digit has had no issue passing his coat style on.  I'd have to take a deeper look into the grandparents than what I have.  His coat and body style were two major deciding factors for me to pass on him when he was offered to me, beyond the health issues.

As far as working a dog- I always suggest waiting until 15-24months when the growth plates are closed.  It will be interesting to see who's body style Simon develops...right now it seems he's following his sire.

As you can see Mira is a much different dog than Digit (if you even got to see him)
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 19 529091_577125972305283_495677222_n

Last edited by HuskyMom09 on Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 19 EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 9:08 am

What breeder is Simon from?
Back to top Go down
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 19 EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 10:17 pm

I got my puppy from a breeding between Kaniska Siberian Huskies from Washington and Rocky Ridge Siberians also from Washington. I mostly communicated with Kaniska Siberian Huskies but do to some pregnancy issue I actually bought Simon from Rocky Ridge Siberians.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 19 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 11:18 pm

Still working on training the kennel help Wink

Keegan 5mos
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 19 10155494_10152312769646590_70693846986004635_n
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 19 EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 7:20 pm

This one is much better than yesterday's Still room for improvement

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 19 10178072_626656867402545_5229458813434010785_n
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 19 EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 11:10 pm

Ok, so I didn't want to hijack the thread by Jen about the weird looking paw but I had a few questions about the conformation/gait.

How should the back legs look during the gate? Is it normal for the paws to be closer together than the hips, and by how much? Or should they carry themselves with a wide stance at the rear?

The tail- I'm always confused on the tail. I see so many different images but I still don't quite understand a "fully snapped" tail versus an acceptable tail. I know Shaqua's tail is a bit off, but I'm trying to figure out if Journey's tail fits the standard.
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 19 EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 11:13 pm

mbarnard0429 wrote:
Before I evaluate anyone but Dizzy (only because I know Jen is looking at this from a conformation point of view) I want to make it clear that any comments made are not to demean the dog or owner. If I say a dog is pet quality due to certain features, it's only meaning the dog is not good breeding stock. Every dog is wonderful in its own way - that does not mean it should be bred.

I hope everyone understands.

Oh, and I love this. Smile So true. Smile I find people take offense when I tell them their dog is way to big for standard... It's not an insult, just a fact of standards.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 19 EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 11:33 pm

Appropriate tails-
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 19 Tails110

Inappropriate tails-
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 19 Tails210
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 19 EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 11:42 pm

As far as how the gait looks-  The Siberian is what they call a 'single tracking' gaited dog. The tracks in the snow would look like this a single track:
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 19 Sngltrck

If your dog is overreaching the tracks would look like this:
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 19 Ovreach

If the dog is moving wide in the front:
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 19 Widefrnt

If the dog is moving wide in the rear:
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 19 Widerear

The view of the dog gaiting from the rear correct and with faults:
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 19 Rearga10

The view from the front correct:
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 19 C311
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 19 EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 11:50 pm

Awesome, thank you so much Lani! Smile That answers my questions perfectly. Smile
Back to top Go down
GeorginaMay
Teenager
Teenager
GeorginaMay

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 19 EmptyThu Apr 17, 2014 3:53 am

I have another question about the tails, are they judged while a dog is gating or what? Orion holds his tail differently for almost every situation so how do I judge if it is correct or not?
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 19 EmptyThu Apr 17, 2014 2:27 pm

Tails, and more importantly the total package of the dog, are being constantly judged. If at any point the tail snaps over onto or past the top line it is a fault-
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 19 EmptyThu Apr 17, 2014 2:41 pm

This was a dog sold as a show prospect, with an extremely faulted tail set.

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 19 Pizap_11
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 19 EmptyThu Apr 17, 2014 3:21 pm

It's interesting to me when there is (seemingly to the layman eye) one glaring out of place characteristic, like on the picture above with the tail.

There's a female here in Seattle who is literally Link's twin in every way possible, but she has a snapped tail that touches her back. She looks just like a show quality Husky except for the tail.

It's as though in the whole formula for that dog someone screwed up on thing only.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Hollyfrost
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 19 EmptyFri Apr 18, 2014 5:33 am

n/t n/t

Last edited by Hollyfrost on Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 19 EmptyFri Apr 18, 2014 8:20 am

Layla freestacks from time to time. I'll have to make sure I have my camera on hand next time she does it ...
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 19 EmptyThu May 01, 2014 6:30 pm

Not a true stack but you get an idea of body structure.

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 19 Photo+5
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 19 Empty

Back to top Go down

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 19 of 27Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 23 ... 27  Next