It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Freya is a woman!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Female Join date : 2012-05-31

Freya is a woman!  Empty
PostSubject: Freya is a woman!    Freya is a woman!  EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 3:10 am

Over the last few weeks I've been thinking seriously about getting Freya sterilised. I've considered lots of different things from the pill to chemical sterilisation and surgery.
I was talking to hte vet last week and made the decision to go surgical, but I wanted to wait until christmas and new years was over so I could get some money together and be a little more organised.

This morning while making my bed I noticed a few drops of blood and instantly my heart dropped. Fre has been licking herself A LOT recently, but I thought it may have been the heat and she was wanting to keep herself fresh. Silly me didnt put 2 and 2 together.

I'm freaking out. I really dont want puppies.
I've heard that when a male scents a female in heat he gets really agressive. I'm frightned that a male will jump the fence and try to get to Fre. I'm frightned that males will come to my front yard and try to get to her. If a male comes to the front yard and I'm out there I'm frightned he'll attack me in an attempt to get to Freya.

Obviously I still have to let her out to go potty, how many times should that be over the course of the day? She wont be going out any time she pleased any more until this thing is over.
I dont wanna risk her getting knocked up. Thats the last thing I need. My teenage daughter coming home and telling me she's expecting.

I'm going to go to the pet supply warehouse and get disposable doggy diapers. I put a human diaper on her, cutting a hole in it for her tail.
Not only did she look rediculous but it didnt stay on for long. It was the largest ones they have and she's too big for them.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/For-the-Love-of-Readi
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

Freya is a woman!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freya is a woman!    Freya is a woman!  EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 3:26 am

Freya's Mummy wrote:

I dont wanna risk her getting knocked up. Thats the last thing I need. My teenage daughter coming home and telling me she's expecting.
killed me lol!

Anyway, definitely put a diaper on it. If a male dog does mount her it would be difficult for the dog to tie with her since the diaper would be in the way. You could also purchase Bitch Spray, it helps mask the scent female dogs give off while in heat http://canineconcepts.co.uk/en/dog-on-heat/2017-bitch-spray-150ml-5000476010201.html
Also if you're taking her for walks carry a spray bottle for if an offleash male dog comes up to you, spraying the dog will keep him off you.
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

Freya is a woman!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freya is a woman!    Freya is a woman!  EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 3:29 am

LOL. Mixie and Soshanna are flowering women. If you noticed, we don't own male dogs Wink

Your dog can usually hold their potty roughly the number of months old they are in hours, up to 8, where its not good for them to hold longer than that. Just watch her while she's outside.

As for male dogs, yes they smell that from at least a good mile away. My friend lives .97mi from me, and owns Soshanna's unaltered brother, Blewett. When Soshanna is bleeding, but not Mixie as much, Blewett will escape his house if possible, and come sit on my front porch for me to get home. He's excited but still plenty social. I usually let him wander around with Soshanna and the dogs (Closely monitoring that) smell his fill, and then jog him home. Sometimes he comes multiple times a day. He doesn't show for Mixie, nor have other male dogs, though. I'm sure other dogs are capable of being aggressive, but honestly if you're careful, you probably won't have to worry.

Also, DO definitely get diapers. My poor passed away goosedown comforter appeared to have chicken pox because of my laziness and their heats.

Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Freya is a woman!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freya is a woman!    Freya is a woman!  EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 8:21 am

Do you think perhaps that the reason why Blewett doesnt show any agression is because he already knows and trusts you?

I'm deffinatelly going to invest in some of the Bitch spray. It looks good, and may help put my mind at rest.
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

Freya is a woman!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freya is a woman!    Freya is a woman!  EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 9:32 am

Some males do get aggressive when they smell a girl in heat, but it's normally with other male dogs (unless they are aggressive toward humans to begin with). They will smell it, particularly in the areas she uses the potty; so have her go potty in places where no boys go. (No walks in public - stay in fenced yard) Also, don't leave her alone outside - not even in for a nanosecond in a securely fenced yard. Boys can get mighty creative when it comes to breaking in. The time she will be most vulnerable is actually when the bleeding starts to stop. This is where a lot of owners make the mistake of thinking it's over, because the bleeding stopped, but that's actually when they are fertile. It's also when the girls will want the boys to notice them. That scary phase lasts about a week. Once the whole thing is over, you will know because the girl parts lose the swelled look and become normal again.
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Freya is a woman!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freya is a woman!    Freya is a woman!  EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 9:55 am

She's being 100% supervised when she's going potty now, I'm taking no chances. She's not going anywhere in public. It's summer here right now, so her energy levels have dropped and she's content to fool around with my sons as aposed to going for long walks.
She's outside for a few minutes to do her business and then straight back inside again.

Would a male be able to smell her on me? We sleep in the same bed and are always with each other unless I'm out, in which case Freya is inside.

Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

Freya is a woman!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freya is a woman!    Freya is a woman!  EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 9:59 am

lol! I'm sorry but this post made me burst out laughing! The way you worded everything just tickled me pink!

Anyway, it's not a big deal! I was planning on getting Nicky spayed about a month ago and the vet told me she was coming into heat. By the next morning she was bleeding and I was freaking out!

I live in a house with 3 other male dogs and they were going CRAZY!!! That was probably the worst thing about the entire heat cycle, so that they were constantly trying to hump her. If they couldn't get to her, they were crying and they weren't listening, because they were a bunch of horn dog's! Sleeping was damn near impossible, but thankfully managed to make it through some how! None of them got aggressive, just super happy.

This is her first week off of it and she is getting spayed ASAP! No way I could ever deal w/that mess again! Bloody Mary is getting dewomanized!
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

Freya is a woman!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freya is a woman!    Freya is a woman!  EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 10:57 am

Males will possibly smell her on you and may seem extra happy to smell you down. But I highly doubt they will do much else except maybe wish they could follow you home.
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Freya is a woman!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freya is a woman!    Freya is a woman!  EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 11:28 am

Hayden_69 wrote:
lol! I'm sorry but this post made me burst out laughing! The way you worded everything just tickled me pink!

None of them got aggressive, just super happy.

We aim to please Smile

That actually makes me feel a lot better to think they were really happy, rather than agressive.

I was attacked by a dog when I was a kid and since then I've had quite a strong fear. Dash my late rescue really helped me out of it, and now with Freya I'm alot more confident in myself and other dogs around me, but still I find myself frightned sometimes, especially in situations I have no control over.
Back to top Go down
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

Female Join date : 2012-01-15

Freya is a woman!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freya is a woman!    Freya is a woman!  EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 2:55 am

I never had any issues with males going crazy after smelling Ava on me - and this is while I was working at a high volume vet clinic. Snickers tried to get frisky with her every now and then when she was in heat, but he's neutered so it doesn't really matter anyway. The big dummy was mounting her head anyway Freya is a woman!  1625187496

Ava went through a few heats before she was spayed and it was really no trouble. I bought some little girl's panties and added a tailhole, but we rarely used them. Some females will keep themselves really clean and you won't have a drop of blood, and then some females don't care and bleed everywhere. It just depends on Freya's personality. Ava was very clean and we didn't need to put panties on her, except maybe when she went to bed for the night.

We've never had any issues with males during heat. For potty breaks, we still let Ava out whenever she asked, but someone was with her in the backyard at all times. At night, we clipped a little light onto her collar so we could see her better. For potty walks, always use a harness for more control - especially if Freya can slip a collar like Ava can. There are several males around my house that run loose (although I'm not sure if they're neutered or not) and we never had one come to our house or follow us on walks or anything. If you're concerned about that, invest in some pepperspray or something for walks. I definitely wouldn't restrict her potty breaks though. I've even read that females in heat will often have to pee more often because its some sort of natural mechanism for them to spread their scent around.

When is her spay scheduled for? You definitely don't want to do it while she's in heat! Its more dangerous for her and much more stressful for her body. You wanna wait until she's been out of heat for a few months before the surgery.

Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Freya is a woman!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freya is a woman!    Freya is a woman!  EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 7:20 am

You know, I don't think I ever had a problem with male aggression while working at the board and train kennels, either..

Dogs get excited for it, but not really aggressive, apart from to each other. Such as, all unaltered males had to board alone, to avoid fights when unaltered girls came into season.

We still handled them and played with them, though.
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Freya is a woman!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freya is a woman!    Freya is a woman!  EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 8:03 am

Freya's been very good at keeping herself clean. I've found some spots on my doona cover because she sleeps in my bed w/ me. And there are a couple of spots on the floor when I came back from a birthday party.

We have a fenced in yard so as long as no dogs jump the fence she's alright on her potty breaks. I am still not letting her out without 100% constant supervision though.

I havnt scheduled her spay yet, I'm thinking maybe end of Jan begining of Feb? She'll be over her heat then hopefully.

I got her a pair of doggy diapers with inserts today. She's wearing her big girl panties.
Now when she's behaving badly (not that my baby girl ever would Razz) I can tell her not to get her panties in a knot.
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Freya is a woman!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freya is a woman!    Freya is a woman!  EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 8:08 am

LOL. My duvett cover is off, ill have to remind myself to take a photo of the current comforter I use, and the abstract art my dogs are making on it(the dry cleaner probably thinks I'm into some weird stuff).

Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Freya is a woman!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freya is a woman!    Freya is a woman!  EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 10:02 am

Haha, I bet they would.
I just posted a pic of Freya wearing her new nickies on Facebook, My cousin is now questioning if I'm a responsible owner now lol.
Ahh, these non-Husky owners will never get it.

Freya is a woman!  Fre080_zps32e64c4a
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Freya is a woman!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freya is a woman!    Freya is a woman!  EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 3:52 pm

I can't do that to my poor dogs (the picture, not the underwear) they would die of embarassment.
Back to top Go down
Dragula64
Teenager
Teenager
Dragula64

Female Join date : 2012-07-22

Freya is a woman!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freya is a woman!    Freya is a woman!  EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 5:00 pm

That picture is great! I'm giggleing to myself and can't stop.
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Freya is a woman!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freya is a woman!    Freya is a woman!  EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 11:19 pm

Hehe, I quite like the pic too. She's wearing panties, whats not to love? lol.

1st night in the panties and she did great!
I let her out for a potty break when she woke me up by licking my face and nibbling my hands (Her way of saying 'Mum! I'm gonna pee, wake up!') She did her business and I let her back inside. Well conveniently she decided she would shake all over my white tiles. They're no longer white but polkadotted. Thankfully I was out of the line of fire by about a foot.

So gross, she' got put back in her panties.
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Freya is a woman!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freya is a woman!    Freya is a woman!  EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 11:23 pm

Polkadotted with mud or blood? I'm imagining blood, but part of my brain refuses to believe the flow can be that heavy.
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Freya is a woman!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freya is a woman!    Freya is a woman!  EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 1:20 am

Blood, it wasnt that heavy, just because she decided to shake while she had a few drips.

Today however it seems she is bleeding the red sea - perhaps a little melodramatic on my part lol.

I came back from taking my son to school and she wasnt wearing her pants - She was in a tiled area of the house so it's easy enough to clean up - any where she has layed down to rest there is a puddle of blood.
Unfortunatelly I put her pants in the wash trying to keep everything nice and hygenic not thinking she'd get to a heavy flow yet. Fool on me.
She's now issolated to the laminate and tiled areas until her pants are dried. Shouldnt be too long, it's summer here so the sun is shinking which will help kill any bacteria that may have decided to grow.

Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Freya is a woman!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freya is a woman!    Freya is a woman!  EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 1:30 am

Awww, man. Its the worse when they just free drip around the house..
I really need to get my girls fixed, but I want a working Kelpie to stud Soshanna, for herding trial dogs.
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Freya is a woman!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freya is a woman!    Freya is a woman!  EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 1:46 am

I had every intention of getting Fre done before she went into heat. Apparantly the risk of mamary tumors and cervical cancer increases with each heat.
I've already got one child with cancer I really dont need two. Even if one is covered in furr.

Kelpies are amazing. My late Great Uncle Arther was a dog trainer, he did amazing things with Kelpies. He had whole acts coriagraphed out and would travel all across the country with these dogs putting on shows.
When he passed away he left his dogs to his grandaughter, but she wasnt as into training them as he was.
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Freya is a woman!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freya is a woman!    Freya is a woman!  EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 1:54 am

They're amazing. Soshanna is a half dingo, and I want to put her bloodline (being so rare outside of Aus.) To good use. Most intelligent dog I have ever trained, which isn't neccesarily a good thing. She can climb ladders and such
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Freya is a woman!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freya is a woman!    Freya is a woman!  EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 2:27 am

I get asked all the time if Freya is a dingo (because of the colouring I guess, which she gets from her dad's 1/4 Bull Mastiff). I've never had a dog with Dingo in it, I've also never encountered a dingo, not even as someone's pet.
It's not unheard of here in Australia, but it's not too common either. It's deffinatelly not saught after here.

Is there a market for dingo pups in the US?

yes, Lots of inteligence meanls lots of stimulation needed, both mental, and physical.
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Freya is a woman!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freya is a woman!    Freya is a woman!  EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 2:40 am

There isn't a market for them, among the general public. Most people just go "Oh! Dingo ate my baby!". But we do agility, and dock diving, and have friends in search dogs, and herding, and shutzhund that would love a durable athletic intelligent dog like Soshanna or her siblings . Kelpies would be, in my opinion, the best breed to mix her bloodline with. I would likely keep half the litter, and require sterilisation in my adoption contracts. There are tons of mixed breed dog events out here where good working temperment is far desired over breed standards. Its still not even concrete, yet. I want to do it right if I do it at all.
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Freya is a woman!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freya is a woman!    Freya is a woman!  EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 2:59 am

haha, most people still go 'Oh a dingo ate my baby here too.' Theres really intence documentaries on it and everything. I'm more inclined to believe it was the mother of the child rather than a naturally shy wild dog. But I wont go into it.

THats right, it's the qualities that are found in the dog rather than the purity of the blood lines that matter when it comes to working.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Freya is a woman!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freya is a woman!    Freya is a woman!  Empty

Back to top Go down

Freya is a woman!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next