It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!! Need advise or suggestions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
stevedette
Newborn
Newborn
stevedette

Female Join date : 2012-08-23

my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!!  Need advise or suggestions Empty
PostSubject: my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!! Need advise or suggestions   my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!!  Need advise or suggestions EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 9:30 pm

I have had my husky Evelyn since she was 8 months old....she will be 1 in January. All of a sudden, within the past week or so, she has gotten into EVERYTHING....She has chewed my clogs, chewed my reading glasses, and today, my husband's very expensive Oakly sunglasses...he was not a happy camper. She has started even chewing the electrical cord for my laptop.....she is just out of control.

There has been a change in house. My husband is home with her every day but he took a temporary job for the holidays and now she is home alone alot. I told my husband that she is acting out and she is lonely. I bike jor with her every day on the weekend and she gets walked every day and has off leash play with our neighbor's dog...or I should say was.....when my husband was home.

Here's my dilemma.....my husband will hopefully find permanent work soon but if this behavior is an indication of things to come, this is not good.....I am considering adopting another husky but not sure if that is going to help. Any advice anyone???'

Thanks...Claudette
Back to top Go down
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

Female Join date : 2012-07-26

PostSubject: Re: my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!! Need advise or suggestions   my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!!  Need advise or suggestions EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 9:38 pm

That's how I feel about Luna, They do good in packs from what I've been told. They will tire each other out. We going to wait until she's 1 to make that big change. I hope people can an answer your question about adding because more than half have two huskies.

When Luna was chewing, we just add hot sauce and it been working perfectly. Some people would say about this apply spray, truth be told Luna would lick it Suspect
Back to top Go down
theredofshaw
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!! Need advise or suggestions   my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!!  Need advise or suggestions EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 9:40 pm

is she crated while away? could also be the husky "teenage phase"
Back to top Go down
stevedette
Newborn
Newborn
stevedette

PostSubject: Re: my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!! Need advise or suggestions   my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!!  Need advise or suggestions EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 9:45 pm

She has never been crated. She is confined to the kitchen during the day....the undesirable behavior gets worse when we get home.....and believe me, this pup has so many toys, it puts most kids toyboxes to shame...(no not really) but she does have a lot of toys to occupy her.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!! Need advise or suggestions   my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!!  Need advise or suggestions EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 9:53 pm

Oh, I feel your pain! Teenage stage for sure. So, you said that she only goes into destructive mode when you're home, right? Unfortunately, they can't be left unattended. I'm constantly after Asia. If she's not where I am I immediately go find her because I know that she's up to no good. Same with Kody when he was one. Mya too. If she's being destructive when she's home alone then crate training would be your best bet.

It's much, much, much easier when you have two IMO. They tire each other out and take the energy out on each other. I would never have just one again. Ever. Razz I regret waiting so long to get a 2nd when we just had Mya. We got Kody when she was 4! She would have benefited so much from having a brother/sister when she was younger.
Back to top Go down
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

Female Join date : 2012-07-26

PostSubject: Re: my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!! Need advise or suggestions   my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!!  Need advise or suggestions EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 9:56 pm

When should i Expect Teenage stage for Luna,right now she's going to turn 6 months in the 19th.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!! Need advise or suggestions   my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!!  Need advise or suggestions EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 10:25 pm

Sounds like the teenage stage for sure. None of mine went through that with me, Sophie just got real bratty with maya and still is. I'd say just keep her near you when your home. Then you know exactly what she's doing when she's doing it.

Two is a lot better then one. Twice the fun and they tire each other out. I'm still trying to figure out if three is better then two.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!! Need advise or suggestions   my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!!  Need advise or suggestions EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 10:41 pm

MayaAndSophie wrote:

Two is a lot better then one. Twice the fun and they tire each other out. I'm still trying to figure out if three is better then two.

Same here scratch BUT i love my lil baby Asia and wouldn't have it any other way!
Back to top Go down
Garebear
Teenager
Teenager
Garebear

Male Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!! Need advise or suggestions   my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!!  Need advise or suggestions EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 10:42 pm

How long does the teenage phase last?
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!! Need advise or suggestions   my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!!  Need advise or suggestions EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 10:42 pm

Kizmat wrote:
When should i Expect Teenage stage for Luna,right now she's going to turn 6 months in the 19th.

In my experience I'd say 8-10 months! And then it lasts a while..lol
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!! Need advise or suggestions   my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!!  Need advise or suggestions EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 11:04 pm

MelissaI wrote:
MayaAndSophie wrote:

Same here scratch BUT i love my lil baby Asia and wouldn't have it any other way!
I love my little Kay too, they'll just have to learn to get along. Razz
Garebear wrote:
How long does the teenage phase last?
I think it depends on the dog but I'm not sure.
Back to top Go down
stevedette
Newborn
Newborn
stevedette

PostSubject: Re: my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!! Need advise or suggestions   my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!!  Need advise or suggestions EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 11:45 pm

okay, you all got me laughing...right now, she is putting her two paws on her bone and she pushes it forward around the living room (we have hard wood floors) and this makes it all worth it.

Back to top Go down
lovecheese45
Puppy
Puppy
lovecheese45

Female Join date : 2012-11-26

PostSubject: Re: my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!! Need advise or suggestions   my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!!  Need advise or suggestions EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 11:53 pm

I adopted my husky at 2 years old. just in the past week, I've noticed if I do not give her the exercise she needs... She will demand it!

How long are your walks? Juno gets one at 6am and 3pm for 1 hour each. It sure wears her out.
Back to top Go down
stevedette
Newborn
Newborn
stevedette

PostSubject: Re: my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!! Need advise or suggestions   my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!!  Need advise or suggestions EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 12:33 am

Evelyn gets two walks a day....about 1/2 an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening....before my husband went to work, she was able to play with the neighbor dog for a good hour and a half.....

I truly think her behavior is because he is not home as much......
Back to top Go down
stevedette
Newborn
Newborn
stevedette

PostSubject: Re: my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!! Need advise or suggestions   my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!!  Need advise or suggestions EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 12:37 am

One hour walks don't normally cut it....I took her hiking last week and we were on some aggressive trails......We were hiking for 3 hours....I was beat but at the end of the hike, it was almost like she got a second wind and had more energy. It wasn't until she calmed down in the car did she exhibit any sign of being tired.
Back to top Go down
bellecma
Teenager
Teenager
bellecma

Female Join date : 2012-09-21

PostSubject: Re: my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!! Need advise or suggestions   my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!!  Need advise or suggestions EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 1:00 am

Lola is one also and just decided to talk back and put my hands and feet in her mouth. It is like she is teething but she has her adult teeth. When she gets this way, we will play ball or go for a walk or do some training. Sometimes i give her a cow ear.

Is there a different time of day she can play with the neighbors dog? Their dog is probably missing the play time too.
Back to top Go down
stevedette
Newborn
Newborn
stevedette

PostSubject: Re: my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!! Need advise or suggestions   my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!!  Need advise or suggestions EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 1:07 am

I am giving my neighbor my house key...She is home all day and we are going to see if she will come and get Evelyn to play with her dog....and yes, Duke(a male boxer) misses it too......my neighbors come knocking at our door to see if Evelyn can come out and play. And I thought I was done raising my kids.....hehehehehehehehehehee
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

PostSubject: Re: my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!! Need advise or suggestions   my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!!  Need advise or suggestions EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 1:25 am

I adopted my rescue Husky at 10 months old, and she is now 1yr 1mo, has grown a helluva lot more comfortable, and has succesfully started chewing things when we test her home alone, outside the crate with the rest of the pack. Mixie and Soshanna both had that phase too. I thinkk supervision and consistent redirection was key in maintaining order until the first two grew out of it, and its working well with Panzer.

I think having a second dog is very beneficial. Huskies especially need a pack to be part of, but all dogs strive for it. Another dog is someone they can actually compete with in the pecking order, rather than just obey like the alpha. Our 6 run each other wild and Panzer is finally starting to try to find her place among the pack, which has helped her confidence tremendously.
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!! Need advise or suggestions   my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!!  Need advise or suggestions EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 1:45 am

stevedette wrote:
I was beat but at the end of the hike, it was almost like she got a second wind and had more energy. It wasn't until she calmed down in the car did she exhibit any sign of being tired.

I swear they're like toddlers in that they don't want to admit they're tired. I was at the dog park with her for three hours one Saturday and it wasn't until she went in her crate for dinner that she showed any signs of being tired.
Back to top Go down
Chiviri's mum
Newborn
Newborn
Chiviri's mum

Female Join date : 2012-12-16

PostSubject: Re: my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!! Need advise or suggestions   my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!!  Need advise or suggestions EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 2:34 am

Unfortunately, I cant trust shiva anymore. Shes ruined 2 couches, multiple granite/wood furniture and walls. If my absence is over an hour I just crate her. If its under I put a muzzle. I love her to death, but enoughs enough. Ive been doing that for a while so I dont know if shes outgrown it and Im not brave enough to find out. I constantly buy her toys and play with her. But when shes alone she gets bored and anxious so I cant trust her. Until I can get a pal, shes staying on that routine. Thats just what I had to do.

It definitely sounds like that change is what has made her that way. I know boredom is just the leading cause of chewing in most dogs. I know this one guy on the internet is an engineer and he makes robotic toys for his dog that self move and interact while hes away. I think the neighbor idea sounds great. Hope that works as she adapts.
Back to top Go down
stevedette
Newborn
Newborn
stevedette

PostSubject: Re: my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!! Need advise or suggestions   my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!!  Need advise or suggestions EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 2:51 am

I am not sure if I can crate her now....she has never been....one time we tried it....and she went bezerk.....she actually moved her crate across the room and howled and whined...I know people say tough love...but it kills me when she gets like that. I also am hoping that having a second husky is going to be double the trouble......
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!! Need advise or suggestions   my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!!  Need advise or suggestions EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 3:03 am

Here's what I know about the teenage chewing:

Teenage chewing usually starts around 1 yr old (can be earlier or later) and last indefinitely. They begin chewing things up and misbehaving more at this stage because they start feeling like they can challenge the established hierarchy of the house. They chew your stuff because they're saying they think its theirs now.

Here's the method I've found most effective for chewing:

Find a toy your dog just loves, preferably a really chewy one. Whenever your dog is chewing on something inappropriate, tell him No and take it away, but replace it with his toy, and when he chews that, praise him for it. Simple redirection. The dog learns that his stuff is the stuff you give him, and that he can chew that when bored, but that its not okay to go find something to chew up. It can take a while, but I haven't had a dog fail to respond to that yet, that I have trained.
Back to top Go down
Chiviri's mum
Newborn
Newborn
Chiviri's mum

Female Join date : 2012-12-16

PostSubject: Re: my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!! Need advise or suggestions   my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!!  Need advise or suggestions EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 6:36 am

Ugh, the teenage phase. Boy, that was a load of fun.... Months of training went down the drain during that phase (most of it) and man, did she test me. During that phase she would actually disregard commands, have selective hearing, did more damage chewing since she had more strength, potty training went backwards, etc I wanted to choke her lol. Luckily she grew out of it and has become more obedient then before. Thaaaank goodness.
Back to top Go down
xredrainx
Teenager
Teenager
xredrainx

Male Join date : 2012-05-24

PostSubject: Re: my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!! Need advise or suggestions   my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!!  Need advise or suggestions EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 3:11 pm

Lol just reading all this makes me feel like my husky is defective or a late bloomer XD

Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!! Need advise or suggestions   my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!!  Need advise or suggestions EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 3:40 pm

I wish one of my dogs would have been defective in the way that caused them to miss the terrible teen years... We buy gently used furniture, but 3 sectional couches in 2 years was still pretty hard on the wallet.

...The things you never remember to calculate into the cost of owning a dog.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!! Need advise or suggestions   my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!!  Need advise or suggestions Empty

Back to top Go down

my one year old has turned into a hellion!!!! Need advise or suggestions

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next