It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

In her crate for too long?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Melissa911
Puppy
Puppy
Melissa911

Female Join date : 2012-12-12

In her crate for too long?  Empty
PostSubject: In her crate for too long?    In her crate for too long?  EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 1:17 pm

Hey guys,

So i'm just wondering about the length of time Kyra spends in her crate. My boyfriend and I love that we can still have some kind of a life in between, and it's doing WONDERS for potty training, but i'm starting to question if she is in it too much?

She is over 9 weeks now and the current routine is wake up, bathroom, eat, play for 1-2 hr and then she'll go back into her crate and will sleep/be quiet for 2.5-3.5 hours at a time throughout the day. During the night she sleeps/stays quiet in her crate for 10-12 hours. She won't start making whimpers to come out until 930-10am. Should I be interrupting her and taking her out more especially during the night or just be blessed with what we got? I was just expecting to be up every few hours throughout the night with her, and a whining puppy that doesn't want to be crated during the day lol.

Also, currently the crate is in our bedroom, at which point would we transition it into a more common area?

Thanks guys Smile
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: In her crate for too long?    In her crate for too long?  EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 1:23 pm

The first two nights we brought Bode home, I would set an alarm and get him up every few hours, because I was expecting he would need to. Well I stopped when I realized that he was content sleeping, and so was I. Each pup is different, so I would say if she's sleeping through the night, let her (if she's not having any accidents).

Our crate is still in the bedroom, but that's more because we don't have room for it anywhere else. Bode is 7mo old, and he doesn't sleep in it at night anymore, but we do crate him during the day while we're gone.

The point of the crate is for her to have a safe place (for both herself and your house!). If she is using it on her own, or content being in it, I think you're doing fine.
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Female Join date : 2012-05-31

PostSubject: Re: In her crate for too long?    In her crate for too long?  EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 1:29 pm

If she's holding her bladder adn not kicking up a fuss I'd just leave her be.

Freya's crate was never in my room, so I cant really give you a time to move her out.

Freya isnt crated at all any more. She's 8 months old.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/For-the-Love-of-Readi
Melissa911
Puppy
Puppy
Melissa911

PostSubject: Re: In her crate for too long?    In her crate for too long?  EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 1:35 pm

Ok thanks guys Smile
We plan to keep crating her during the day when we can't be around, I'm looking forward to when she can finally hold her bladder and can sleep out of the crate during the night!
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

PostSubject: Re: In her crate for too long?    In her crate for too long?  EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 2:04 pm

I started bed training Freya, I had a crazy lady some to my door and try to get into my house, because Freya was in her crate she didnt bark (because Freya is a big alert barker - Thats the Bull Mastiff in her) and the crazy lady couldnt see that I had a big dog that looked intimidating.

She did really good. That was when she was about 6 months old. I feel much safer and secure having my big baby sleeping snuggled up next to me, she makes a great spooning buddy.

She wakes me up if she needs to go to the bathroom, she licks my face and eventually if I'm completlly dead to the world, she nibbles gently on my fingers.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: In her crate for too long?    In her crate for too long?  EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 2:18 pm

Is you pup drinking enough water? If she does not wake up and is not messing in her crat maybe you got lucky.... but as for a lift don't leave her to long during the day as a puppy she can't hold it all day. As for crates it up to you where you keep it. Some crate during the day and let the pup sleep in the bedroom uncrated but locked in, we do that with a baby gate.

Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

PostSubject: Re: In her crate for too long?    In her crate for too long?  EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 3:01 pm

Hmm. Soshanna used to be able to sleep at least 6 hrs straight at night, around 10weeks.
I never liked to let her, though. We had an alarm every 2.5 hrs, and if she was asleep, it didn't matter, I would wake her, leash her, and take her out to potty for 5 minutes. That alarm slowly got spaced apart, until I had to wake up one time in the middle of the night, and by 20 weeks, only had to wake up an hour earlier than my normal time, and probably didn't have to do that. Shortly after, we had her sleep on my bed with the door closed. I'm the lightest sleeper on the planet, so if she stepped Id wake. I wish I had kept her crated and moved her into the living room first, though, because she used to hate sleeping on the otherside of the door from me. I don't crate any of the 6 dogs at night or when we are away now. We just gate off the kitchen and the cat box. I think every dog here was able to do that by 6 to 8 months.
Back to top Go down
Melissa911
Puppy
Puppy
Melissa911

PostSubject: Re: In her crate for too long?    In her crate for too long?  EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 1:50 am

She drinks water like it's going out of style! but we take her out twice before we put her to bed and we don't let her drink much water if any when she comes in. During the day when she is in her crate we don't let her stay in there past 2-2.5 hours. Only during the day if she has had a play date with my friends dog (whom has all it's shots etc) will we let her stay asleep for 4-4.5 hours but that's because she comes home exhausted! lol

It's crazy how she will sleep all night and hold it for so long but if she is out playing around she could go every 30-45min depending how often she is drinking water lol.
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

PostSubject: Re: In her crate for too long?    In her crate for too long?  EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 8:51 am

It sounds like you just got that lucky, and years of waking up all night for puppies kind of makes me hate you for it. To this day, Mixie will wake up in the middle of the night and demand to go pee.
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

PostSubject: Re: In her crate for too long?    In her crate for too long?  EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 9:59 am

Freya has been waking up every night at about between 2-30 and 4 to be let out to go pee.
I dont know if it's coz it's really hot weather and she's drinking more, or because she find it really funny to wake her Mumma up at ungodly hours by licking her face and nibbling her hands.

Eric is right, It sounds like you got lucky with your pup and her strong bladder.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: In her crate for too long?    In her crate for too long?  Empty

Back to top Go down

In her crate for too long?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1