It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Luna is spayed finally :)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

Female Join date : 2012-07-26

Luna is spayed finally :) Empty
PostSubject: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 11:46 am

I have few question about spayed. This morning i dropped Luna off at the vet to get spayed. They weighted her at 37.6 pound and they going to charge us 312 buck for the spayed I think that's Ridiculous, but then again I don't know how much a Typically a spayed is.

My question: how fast is recovery time? I'm calling out of work for tomorrow so I can watch her all day and my girlfriend is calling out on Friday this way we can watchher for the next 7 days.

After surgery how long must I wait to bring her to doggy daycare?

When your dog got spayed/Neutered did you get them chip? ( we don't have the money now Sad)

Is it true getting spayed cut back on their life

so when I dropped Luna off at the vet she was fine, 30min after I got home they call and told me Luna is Vomiting and she popped and they found corns. I have no idea how ate corn or where she found it,we have no corn at the house. They then told me she have Diarrhea. I dropped everything and went to pick Luna up. She was fine to me. They have to Reschedule the spayed. I think they after more money. I'm in the process of looking for another vet. This is Outrageous.

THis is our bill

[img][/img]Luna is spayed finally :) Image20

Last edited by Kizmat on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:37 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 2:36 pm

Recovery time: The vet will usually tell you not to let her jump, play, or do anything that takes too much physical exertion for about a week. Although, every dog is different, some may take longer, and same may seem better in a shorter period of time.

Daycare: I (personally) wouldn't take her to daycare for a few weeks after the surgery. I woudn't want her to get rough with another dog and hurt herself.

Microchip: I did get the microchip for Lycus when he was neutered, and the same for my female cats when spayed, and for me it wasn't too expensive. You can always get it when you do have the money.

Cut back: Personally, I've never read up on this so I don't know anything about it lol.
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 2:47 pm

Wow that is a high price for a spay. Honestly I wouldn't go there unless that is the norm for the area. A spay here is 90-120 normally.

yes,I microchip them when they are out for a surgery.

I bet that is a myth, it reduces the cancer risks for the dogs so I don't see that shortening their lives
Back to top Go down
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 2:55 pm

kevo wrote:
Wow that is a high price for a spay. Honestly I wouldn't go there unless that is the norm for the area. A spay here is 90-120 normally.

yes,I microchip them when they are out for a surgery.

I bet that is a myth, it reduces the cancer risks for the dogs so I don't see that shortening their lives

We are in the process looking for another vet.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 3:06 pm

$312 is slightly above normal from a regular conventional vet. It depends on your area, too. There are low-cost spay/neuter clinics everywhere, but some have better reps than others. I got lucky with my low-cost spay (a friend spayed her pup before mine, and she healed nicely - that's how I knew she was done right). Mine was around $160 with spay, 3 pain pills, 41+ pound procedure complete with anesthesia, blood work ($50) cone ($6), and a microchip ($30).

Juneau was 6 1/2 months old when she was spayed. 41 pounds. The surgery was at 8AM and I picked her up at 3PM. All Juneau did was sleep til about 8PM. She did not have ANY food - this is normal. They are pumped with some type of gas (and fluids) during the surgery. Juneau's recovery only took about 4 days.

Be prepared for nausea/vomit/diarehea. When I picked Juneau up, she had some poop around her butt and I had to clean it up. Sad

She will be very gassy! Juneau would actually hike up her hind leg and let out a nasty fart. It was funny at first but it's like a stink bomb! Watch out. Twisted Evil

Luna's movements will be kinda slow on the first day/night. Don't let her jump on the couch or run hard. I stayed up with Juneau til 4AM because I didn't want her to keep the collar on while she was sleeping, so I just watched her sleep. I ended up making her wear it the first night (it took me an hr to get her comfortable). If you don't like using the cone (or they can't sleep with it), use a body towel and tie it around their neck. Make sure it isn't too tight (obviously). One knot is enough. Keep her on a leash for the first 2 days when you let her go potty. We wouldn't want any nasty infections!

The next morning, give her a pain pill. She will probably eat 1/2 of what she normally eats. That is normal. Keep her restricted on a leash once again for potty breaks. Try not to let her jump on the couch, even though she'll try. I never made Juneau wear the cone during the day because she actually left it alone! I was so shocked. Check the incision at least two times a day. Dried blood/swelling is normal for 2-3 days afterwards.

By Day 3 she should be moving normal again. She'll want to run around and etc. Her eating habits should be normal too, but remember - it all depends on the dog!

You can probably take her to the daycare 1 week after surgery, but I would wait 2.

Spaying actually prelongs their life because it reduces their risk of cervial cancer.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 3:14 pm

Oh my goodness. I bet you are outraged! So sorry!

Did you ask for heartgard or flea preventative?

I'm not sure what the first item is - hopefully someone can chime in.

A fecal test does not cost $90 (where they test for gardia). It's actually included in our "office" fee (which is $55 for me).

That sucks! So you are absolutely certain that she had no corn? This is so strange. Sad
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 3:17 pm

That was today's bill? They did stuff and then couldn't do it after all today? Seems fishy. I hope you find a new better vet.
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 3:20 pm

Lucian's neuter is only going to cost me $64. I went through a website called friendsofanimals.org. I got the certificate, and scheduled his neuter for next week. Maybe you can go through the website. It will give you a list of vets that accept the certificate. I know a spay cost a bit more, I think it was around a hundred bucks.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 3:23 pm

Why did they give her fluids and canned food? Also did you ask for the heartguard and Advantix? Were you there when they did all that including the fecal? Seems VERY strange if they did all that without you there or asking.

Luna is spayed finally :) Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 3:23 pm

VintageJeans wrote:
Oh my goodness. I bet you are outraged! So sorry!

Did you ask for heartgard or flea preventative?

I'm not sure what the first item is - hopefully someone can chime in.

A fecal test does not cost $90 (where they test for gardia). It's actually included in our "office" fee (which is $55 for me).

That sucks! So you are absolutely certain that she had no corn? This is so strange. Sad

We asked for heartgard and flea because we forgot to order online.
I am 100% sure she had no corn. They told me she's Vomiting and diarrhea. I see none of that. Right now she's laying on the couch with me. They are looking for ways to suck the money out of us.
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 3:24 pm

That's ridiculous. That I'm aware of, a fecal test shouldn't cost that much. I hope she gets better soon.
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 3:25 pm

Plus, if she were vomiting and having diarrhea, shouldn't they have given you something to help with it?
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 3:28 pm

Looks like that fecal was included with a wellness test, hence the price, though it still seems a bit high. And looks like they gave her fluids and canned food for her diarrhea which seems a bit overkill. I've only had fluids given to my girls once and that was when Siku was a little puppy and very, very dehydrated after throwing up worms (she came from a not so great breeder). I wouldn't think fluids would have been necessary for your girl unless she was really dehydrated and wouldn't drink on her own.

Back to top Go down
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 3:28 pm

Kevin, that's the bill for today, she was in there for about a hour before they call me to come pick get up.

Christina, thank you I'm going to look this up now. I don't care if I have to cross state line to do it. I really can't be paying all that money.

Sara, the canned food is for her "Diarrhea" I've been told . I was not around because I dropped her so she can get spay. They call md 45min later with all the " problems" she's having and I need to come puck her up.
Back to top Go down
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 3:33 pm

I called another place they asking 500. What F**k is wrong with people in Rhode Island? All the places here are above 300. My last Option is to call the animal shelter to see if they can do it.

Can I have it done in a different state? Boston is not far from here
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 3:35 pm

I would be mad at my vet if they gave one of my girls a canned food I don't personally like that much and then tried to claim it was to help with the diarrhea. Normally you withhold food if your dog has an upset stomach!

BTW, I got Siku spayed for $100. One vet quoted me $300-$400 because they do everything, fluids, check liver first, etc., but I've seen so many dogs get spayed and neutered that go through my mom's rescue who got it done the cheaper way and they all did just fine. So I opted to go with a cheaper vet. I could have gotten is done even cheaper at the SPCA, but opted for the vet that a friend of mine works at. I liked having her there to watch the spay and me being able to call her to see how Siku was doing.

Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 3:36 pm

As far as I know you should be able to cross lines to do it. That is crazy, 300 is bad 500 is just obscene
Back to top Go down
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 3:49 pm

My girlfriend coworker told her that maybe she Vomitted because of the sedation shot. Before I call the vet and give them my 2 cents is that a Possibility?
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 3:55 pm

That sounds like a possibility to me.. I know humans can get sick to their stomachs from that..
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 3:57 pm

Man, I would've been outraged. Cloud's neuter was $65, but it's easier to neuter than to spay so it was probably quite a bit cheaper. My vet wants $210 to spay Yuki. I'd definitely look into a new vet xD
Back to top Go down
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 4:28 pm

Keyda81 wrote:
Lucian's neuter is only going to cost me $64. I went through a website called friendsofanimals.org. I got the certificate, and scheduled his neuter for next week. Maybe you can go through the website. It will give you a list of vets that accept the certificate. I know a spay cost a bit more, I think it was around a hundred bucks.

I freaking love you I love you , we found a vet outside Rhode Island with the friendsofanimals that will do it for 90. She said we'll have to pay for the med. I'm assuming its not a lot. I'm doing the "do a little dance " right now I'm so excited.

Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 4:30 pm

Still it will be less than the visit was even today i bet, awesome job! Hope you like this vet
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 4:53 pm

Kizmat wrote:
Keyda81 wrote:

I freaking love you I love you , we found a vet outside Rhode Island with the friendsofanimals that will do it for 90. She said we'll have to pay for the med. I'm assuming its not a lot. I'm doing the "do a little dance " right now I'm so excited.

Glad I could help! Hopefully everything goes well with the new vet.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 5:13 pm

Kizmat wrote:
Keyda81 wrote:

I would call and get a quote on the meds. It shouldn't be too much, but always know ahead of time. It could be between $50-100 for medication depending on what they are giving her. Prescriptions after the spay are one thing, but if they are talking about anesthesia and drugs DURING surgery, it could be costly. I had a Friend of Animals coupon and it ended up costing almost $200 after the $90 spay and "meds". I ended up going with my personal vet who did it for just over $200. Friends of Animals was a vet I'd never been to and wasn't thrilled about.

Luna is spayed finally :) Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 5:26 pm

I'm surprised at how many people think that 300+ is "too much" for a surgery.

Bella's spay was 342 and she's "special needs"

For less care at my old vent I'd be paying the same amount with a lot more risk. Because of where I live the average for a spay at a vet runs anywhere between 250 and 450 depending on the weight and sex of the dog (from what I know females always cost more)

A low cost clinic wouldn't do Bella because they felt doing it there wasn't safe for her - I could have had her spayed and chipped for 180. Had I gotten a male it would have been much cheaper.

Luna is spayed finally :) Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) Empty

Back to top Go down

Luna is spayed finally :)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next