It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Luna is spayed finally :)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 5:29 pm

Hell I pay 300 for Delilah, I don't think that is outrageous. You really get what you pay for...she had a full work up, meds, antibiotics, etc...spay is invasive. I feel its better to be safe than sorry.

Resources in your area for low cost:

http://www.rispca.com/Documents/Low%20Cost%20SpayNeuter%20Programs.pdf
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 6:41 pm

300-400 really is "standard" for a spay with all the preferred prescreens/precautions and monitoring... I don't see any sense in paying for all that with a neuter since it's pretty much grab and go, but a spay, yes. I paid $350 for Rogue and don't think I would have ever went for the cheaper option unless I was in a place where I couldn't afford the extra services (which I understand).
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 6:43 pm

I agree with Heather - Cato I went o a clinic and it was 85 + some pain meds. Neuters are much easier.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 8:49 pm

I don't think 300 is that bad for a spay either.

For Nikko's neuter I paid $270. It was $169 for neuter, $65 for bloodwork, plus another $40 for all of the last round of vaccinations. Yukon cost me $320, but I also got hearworm medicine and the lyme shot with that.

I had called my vet before I got Yukon because I originally was going to get a female and they charged $250 just for the spay, and my vet is the cheapest in the area.
Back to top Go down
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

Female Join date : 2012-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 8:50 pm

Thanks Megan, I'm in talk with ricsnc for that 200 spay.

Today when Luna return she ate her canned food, but did not drink water. She popped, but didn't pee since she got home.

Now she's on the kitchen floor whining next to her food bowl. I don't know what to do. We went outside which was fine. Since we got back all she want is the canned food. Which I open another one?
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 8:30 pm

I agree, $300 while expensive isn't all that outrageous. It's outrageous if you aren't paying for all the extra stuff and that is just the spay alone, but that is pretty standard. Spaying isn't an easy surgery, I think a lot of people forget that part because it is so common. So while paying $300 makes me cry inside a little bit, it's perfectly normal..as long as you are actually getting what you are paying for.

When I got my little Lhasa Apso spayed, we went to a vet in Ohio who did state of the art(at the time) laser surgery, gave me three injections of pain medicine, and micro chipped her, so I was VERY happy with them. You need to confident in the vet you pick, because while not common, spays can go wrong. I'm not trying to scare you, but cheaper isn't always better. I forked out a lot of money, but I have never felt so connected to a vet and his staff before that I actually felt like I was cheating them! All I'm saying is that while cheaper is nice for us, it's not always better for our babies.

When Kloe got spayed, I was told to wait 10 days before allowing her to run and whatnot. Where I come from, 10 days is the normal healing period. Most girls are good to go in about 3-4, but you have to think about how easy it is to rip out fresh stitches, especially at doggy day care. I would wait at least a month if it was my girl. If a month isn't plausible for you, then at least two weeks.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 8:50 pm

Our spays always run right about 300 bucks for a full work-up, and that's okay with me. I spent far less time, and they were far less careful with my wisdom teeth, and that was 2500, so it seems fair to me.

However, one time a friendd and retired trainers 7yr old unspayed GSD wound up having a pyometra while over here, and he's not financially well off. They wanted 1500 to try to spay her at the emergency hospital, so one of the techs called a vet that worked with the NOAH center, and he woke up, met us at NOAH's facility, and succesfully spayed and saved the dog for 200 bucks, including the 2 days of IV fluid she was on.

I've never felt more grateful to a human being in my life. It wasn't a question of would we pay any amount to save his dog, no price is too high for a loved one, but it would have been a pretty crippling hit to both of us. That vet easily could have charged 1000 and got it from us happily with no questions asked

Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 9:22 pm

Pyo is the #1 reason I advocate spay and neuter - Mammary Tumors are the second.
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 9:42 pm

Yeah, that experience turned me into an alteration advocate.
Finally got Mixie scheduled, since her other issues are resolved.

Soshanna is to be bred with a tested working Kelpie, first. Dingo saturation in desirable in the working quality Kelpies, and Soshanna is about as healthy and well recorded a dingo mix as you will ever find.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 9:52 pm

A $300 spay in my area is pretty normal if not on the cheap side. I called one vet's office and they quoted me $800+ to get Nicky spayed.

If you go through an animal shelter and get a voucher they usually cut the bill down by at least half and you can go to any participating vet of you're choice.
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 9:57 pm

.... for $800 they better gold plate my dogs vagina, or something...
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 11:24 pm

Great topic for anyone looking to spays, lots of info and options on here! Typing in free spay neuter [city name] into google generally nets you some good results you can then research to see if they do a good job. For any on a low income, many spay/neuter procedures are free or discounted.

For anyone wondering what the "meds" are they are generally an antibiotic and pain meds. I pick up dogs for our rescue at either shelter clinics or at independent vets that they contract to and pay in the $50-90 range for both. However, as Tori said, definitely ask ahead of time. They usually offer a one time antibiotic shot and a pain shot, but some offer pills. If they do, check to see the prices and if the meds are available via prescription for less money (however, less convenient to have to go pick up meds!).

Good luck with Luna! Smile
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 11:40 pm

Without the neuter certificate I got from friends of animals Lucian's neuter would have cost me $364.00! Shocked Only thing I had to pay out of pocket was the 20 bucks for the cone of shame. They sent him home with 3 days worth of pain meds too.
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 11:44 pm

Holy crap! Neuters are so cheap out here that you would think the vets do them more for their own enjoyment than for money. It's like 50 bucks, I swear.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 1:47 pm

A neuter is still a surgical procedure, where balanced anesthesia is needed. Most spay and neuter clinics, IMO, don't do near as good of a job as a vets office, thier volume is too high to spend special attention to each individual patient. I've witnessed patients being recovered on cold cement floors with no blankets, and these were people's babies. Yes I think a $350 dollar neuter is outrageous, but lets not sound crass about the procedure, anything can happen during recovery, and I'd rather have my baby watched carefully by all staff, than in a cage alone with a tube still in thier throat, and nobody watching. That's just from my observations from over the years and my personal opinion.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 2:41 pm

Hmm, I don't own male dogs, as a principle. I'm just going off what people with male dogs tell me about their experiences. I, personally, go to any lengths for my dogs. They are as close to children as I'm ever going to have.
Back to top Go down
uelrindru
Puppy
Puppy
uelrindru

Male Join date : 2012-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 7:53 pm

$300 is around the norm for my area as well. I looked at those spay certificates and after talking to the vets that took them found out I would need to take her to a visit before the spay, run blood work pay for everything that was the man with the knife in his hands and then have another visit afterwards which all totalled more than my current vet would charge to do it because Bella was already a patient there.
He's a good dog vet so I'm not concerned but I wouldn't let him near my cat, he always seems bored with my cat. Very into Bella though.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 1:04 am

I'm shopping around because the vet I currently go to is known as the "expensive" vet in town. His initial visit prices are twice what everyone else in town's is. His med prices are normal, but just asking what the price of the spay would be scares me. I did talk to the vet on base here and was surprised at the decent price. It would be $127 for the spay and meds plus microchipping which was another $27. That's reasonably priced for me so if my regular vet wants to charge an arm and a leg for the spay then I'm gonna go with the vet on base. I keep explaining to my hubby that a spay is an invasive surgery and if they are going to cut my baby open they better be doing it right. But my biggest stipulation is that I want her home with me the same day. I would notice a change in her before anyone else and I know the signs of infection just as well as they do. When I asked the vet at the base about it, they said they go home same day. So when Karli goes for her bordatella booster in two weeks I'm gonna ask about the spay prices and make my decision then. A friend's cat had the mammory tumor issue after they found her and it cost them almost $500 to get her taken care of (this was in Canada) and there is always the chance that it could come back. I'd rather get the spay and have peace of mind.
Back to top Go down
EmmaGraceCalder
Newborn
Newborn
EmmaGraceCalder

Female Join date : 2013-01-01

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 3:41 pm

I'm not sure how it works over the water. But in U.K......

IDEXX is a lab test. So that's the fecal test which is marked at wellness + fecal which indicates the fecal was extra (were you aware)? wellness tests are some practices policy and they will not let you opt out. However they should of told you that that was being involved regardless of if you had an option or not.

If they did the test after the vomiting and diarrhoea then that would make sense to make sure there was no underlying issue. But they should of warned you that that is what they were going to do.

In regards to how much you are being quoted for a spay, i know some practices (not the one i work at) charge more for husky as generally (sorry guys) they bleed a lot and they may have to use extra drugs, or other veterinary equipment (swabs, ferret chloride, cautery iron) I know its ridiculous, and personally I don't agree, but I know that's what some places do and if you question them on it, they tend to discount it.

Hope this helps...
Back to top Go down
Clm
Teenager
Teenager
Clm

Male Join date : 2012-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 12:45 am

apologies if im bringin up an old topic or anything, but 300+ for spay and the price of that bill seems rather high. i just took blu to the best for shots 3 weeks ago, they gave him rabies shot, gave him some meds for his diarrhea (was in the process of changeing his food to something higher quality then what he was on when i got him) ran a poop check, gave me 6 months of heart worm meds, and 6 months of flea and tick for around 140 bucks. and spay/neuturing (includeing being chipped) is 160 (120 without the chip)... maybe i just got lucky and found a reasonable local vet but 300 just seems really over priced to me. i've even seen some low cost neuturing clinics around that will do it for as low as 60 bucks.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 12:48 am

Clm wrote:
apologies if im bringin up an old topic or anything, but 300+ for spay and the price of that bill seems rather high. i just took blu to the best for shots 3 weeks ago, they gave him rabies shot, gave him some meds for his diarrhea (was in the process of changeing his food to something higher quality then what he was on when i got him) ran a poop check, gave me 6 months of heart worm meds, and 6 months of flea and tick for around 140 bucks. and spay/neuturing (includeing being chipped) is 160 (120 without the chip)... maybe i just got lucky and found a reasonable local vet but 300 just seems really over priced to me. i've even seen some low cost neuturing clinics around that will do it for as low as 60 bucks.

A lo of it depends on location - where are you at?
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 12:48 am

Clm wrote:

A lo of it depends on location - where are you at?
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 5:29 am

Clinics send out normal fecals to IDEXX? Lol I do them myself under the microscope haha wow, I'd go with $24 rather than $55 for a client anyday! Lol we only send out fecals when the diarrhea is chronic and all our in-house tests are neg, which is rare. Never heard of a husky bleeding more either. We have done plenty of husky and mal spays and neuters (and my Kale's obstruction surgery) and all have been routine with minimal bleeding. Interesting. All the northern breed dogs that we have seen have been very sensitive to medications, especially narcotics, so generally we go with low-dosing. Kale can't have Morphine; he has a prolonged recovery time of 15 hours. Scared me to death. He's also extremely sensitive to Propofol; had to sigh him every 30 seconds for 15 mins due to the fact that he wasn't breathing on his own. Same went for another female siberian that was spayed not too long ago, only I wasn't the one assisting during that procedure.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

Female Join date : 2012-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 8:36 pm

Luna had her spayed done today.

Sorry for the late reply, we found another place that was recommended from someone here, but can't think of the person name right now. The place is about not far our house, Came highly recommended by one of our husky friend and the Animal shelter.

My question is how can I make her feel Comfortable, since got back from the spay she been whining all day. She's not eating and she hate cone. Must she wear it all the time? It break my heart seeing her like this Sad I know she's in pain in I can't help her

Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 2 Image21

Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 2 Image22
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 8:39 pm

awwe poor thing! Did the vet give you any pain meds for her? Neither of mine had to wear the cones so I don't know about that (they are both boys anyway). Maybe try a bland diet for her, like boiled chicken and rice. I think it is normal for them not want to eat much right after. My vet told me not to put them on their regular diet until the next day.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Luna is spayed finally :)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next