It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Help...duped by a backyard breeder

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
goaliechick41
Teenager
Teenager
goaliechick41

Female Join date : 2012-12-28

Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 3:50 am

They are in Bremerton. That's very good to know. Yea, 7 pups, at $800-1000 a piece... I highly doubt.they're going to claim the income either.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 4:18 am

One of the perks of dealing with military is if someone is being shady or doing something wrong, contacting their command is free and requires no legal fees Wink
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 12:52 pm

Here are the phone numbers and email for Naval Base Kitsap-Bremerton housing:

(800) 876-7022 opt. 3
or
(360) 396-4399

nbk-housing@navylifepnw.com

I'd start by contacting them and inquiring about the regulations on breeding animals in their housing. I looked at the Jackson Park housing regulations and I didn't see anything specific about breeding animals, but some other bases do have that in the verbage. Regardless, they are pretty strict on the 2 pet limit, which these people are clearly in violation of. Anyway, start with the housing office and go from there. Good luck.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 2 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
itsjosieb
Teenager
Teenager
itsjosieb

Female Join date : 2012-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 2:00 pm

My husband is in the navy and as far as I've been told, huskies are even a restricted breed on some bases (which is one of the many reasons we haven't tried to live on base at all). And only 2 pets are allowed at a time. I'm certain their navy-landlords would not be amused.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 2:08 pm

The only bases for sure that ban Huskies (that I've been able to find, anyway) are Great Lakes and Beale AFB. That being said, Bremerton may be another of those bases. I didn't see anything specific to breeds when I was looking at their housing stuff, but I may have just missed it because at least the Pit/hybrid ban would be in place there.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 2 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
itsjosieb
Teenager
Teenager
itsjosieb

Female Join date : 2012-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 2:55 pm

blueeyedghost wrote:
The only bases for sure that ban Huskies (that I've been able to find, anyway) are Great Lakes and Beale AFB. That being said, Bremerton may be another of those bases. I didn't see anything specific to breeds when I was looking at their housing stuff, but I may have just missed it because at least the Pit/hybrid ban would be in place there.

We were in Great Lakes for some time, so maybe that's what I was thinking of. I don't really understand why everything isn't standard throughout naval bases (or all military bases). Makes it super annoying to figure stuff out when you're moving and just seems inefficient. Huskies in my opinion shouldn't even be on any restricted lists and don't get why they are. I couldn't believe so many apartments didn't allow them when we were looking for places in California.
Back to top Go down
goaliechick41
Teenager
Teenager
goaliechick41

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 4:26 pm

I found a "Lord Maverick" b/w husky on AKC's website. Just waiting for confirmation of the registered number and I will pull up his pedigree. Still waiting for the Sam's info.
Granted, these people have a newborn baby, a 6 year old, and a litter of puppies. And the guy is Naval, and the.wife works at least part time. Makes me wonder what kind of.socialization the pups are getting...
And if I'm paying you a grand for a pup, I think you would be a little more helpful. Or at least willing.
Back to top Go down
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

Female Join date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 4:35 pm

Where did you go on the AKC website? I'm curious now and want to look up Raven's parents.
Back to top Go down
goaliechick41
Teenager
Teenager
goaliechick41

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 4:38 pm

You have to pay to get the pedigree. $15 for an online version. Search for AKC pedigrees, and you have an option of a research pedigree (online only) or a hard copy ($30). You have to be registered on their website to use this.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 4:43 pm

It's totally personal choice here, but I'd cut losses and walk away. This information should not be this hard to obtain, (and you certainly should not have to pay anyone to obtain it!) it should have been available to you upon request. I keep my dog paperwork together in a binder, photo of dog, pedigree, health certs, etc. This way it's easy for people to see what they want to and need to see. I'd guess this is a pet pedigree and no health clearances on the parents.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

Female Join date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 4:46 pm

Hmm I got the pedigrees for her sire and dam when i picked her up. Just a piece of paper with a bunch of names on it lol was looking more for info on what if anything the parents had been involved in.

I will derail the thread no more. I hope everything works out for you.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 5:02 pm

Quote :
I don't really understand why everything isn't standard throughout naval bases (or all military bases)
The reason its not universal is because not every base uses the same housing people to run base housing. Here in Oak Harbor its Forest City but in Cali its something completely different (Liberty or something like that.) The Navy goes for whatever it can afford (or is cheaper) and the sailors have to follow those rules. I don't know how it is on Kitsap, but here, we're not actually on base. We are on "government property" but not actually on the base, so base police patrol it but that's the extent of it. That's why its not Navy wide rules.

I will now stop digressing lol.
Back to top Go down
goaliechick41
Teenager
Teenager
goaliechick41

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 5:03 pm

I sent this guy another text requesting the.dad and mom's registered numbers. If he doesn't respond or is reluctant to give them to me, I am canceling the transaction. Either he refunds me my money now, or gives me the pup for my deposit price. Or I call Navy housing on him for purposeful breeding for profit.
Back to top Go down
tiffany
Teenager
Teenager

Female Join date : 2009-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 7:23 pm

So before we knew better, we got our dogs from byb. But even those byb provided us with pedigrees and registrations numbers up front with no problems and it did not cost us any money.

also $500 is pretty steep for a deposit. I agree with what you are planning on telling them and will hope for the best outcome.

i know for me, as much as i wouldn't have wanted to, if i had just spent $500, that is a good amount of money, and even if i would have wanted to cut ties, i wouldn't just due to the amount of money i put towards the dog.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 9:13 pm

I hope you don't kind me asking this, as I'm genuinely curious, but with Dexter still having some issues that really need full attention, wouldn't you say waiting until you are at a place where Dexter is closer to where you'd like him to be to get a new puppy would be a better idea? That puppy is going to need a lot of training, and a young puppy is very influenced by the dogs around it. This would also give you time to thoroughly research breeders, which many here could point you in the right direction.
Back to top Go down
goaliechick41
Teenager
Teenager
goaliechick41

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 10:57 pm

Good point Heather. One that I have thought about. When I put the deposit on the pup, the plan was for the boyfriend to be training his dog. That would leave me free to train a companion for him. He is a much more well behaved dog when he has a companion his size. Plus, I want one to train from scratch. It was a way to get us both out of the house. Training our dogs. Unfortunately it has turned into ME training Dexter, as the bf has no dog experience before this one.

Turns out the guy just has no clue what he's doing. He couldn't figure out why I wanted their numbers or to see pedigrees. I finally told him over the.phone, and he said, Oh, ok...well I guess I can send you that info...
Both mom and dad are registered. He sent "Princess Frosty IV"'s pedigree to me... And gave me "Lord Maverick"s numbers. *facepalm at the names*
Going to look them up now. Is there a way to look up their registration online?
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 11:01 pm

OMFG. I seriously just spit my drink out all over the screen at those names. HA!

Glad they have papers.

Just to echo Heather's statement, regardless of who is training which dog, the puppy is going to learn from Dexter... that would include Dexter's inclination to bite. Please be very careful bringing an impressionable pup into the house. Dexter will regress in his training with a new dog in the house (I would expect any dog to), so you might want to wait until you are totally confident with his progress before setting him back.

Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
goaliechick41
Teenager
Teenager
goaliechick41

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 11:22 pm

Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 2 2013-01-05_17-20-10

Found them. Both full registration. Whew. But god, those names.... :s
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 11:38 pm

Honestly, that doesn't mean much at all. Did a little research on some websites (CERF and OFA's databases and myakc) and it looks like they have not hip or eye tested either dog. Neither has any AKC points which makes me think they do not show in conformation. And the female was very young to breed. You really shouldn't breed a dog before they are 2yrs old and she was about 1 year old when they bred her.

Those are HUGE red flags for me. I would totally understand if you still get the puppy, cause I know what it's like to fall in love with a puppy, but I would recommend you try and get your money back especially if you ever want to show. They probably are claiming a champion way back in the pedigrees, which does not mean that their dogs or the puppies will be show quality. If you really want the option to show, I would find a breeder who actually shows their dogs, not just one who claims CH bloodlines. Also look for one who health tests their dogs. If you do decide to get the puppy, I would really try to talk them into only taking $500 for the puppy, because to me $500 for a puppy from untested and not shown adults is not even worth that.

Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 2 Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
goaliechick41
Teenager
Teenager
goaliechick41

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 11:45 pm

Yea, no tests on the dam or her parents or the sire. Have to order the sire's pedigree, as it was "lost in the move". Blech.
The pup is sweet, and pretty, and her parents.are pretty and (seem) healthy. As they are in this for the money, I highly doubt they will go for $500 short of me threatening to turn them in (fyi, I am a pansy and hate confrontation)

I think I will stick with my pup, and start making contacts with breeders in the area, establish a relationship, etc.. After all, who knows what the future holds?

Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 2 IMG951898

Back to top Go down
dragonthewhitedread
Teenager
Teenager
dragonthewhitedread

Male Join date : 2012-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 11:57 pm

Oh what a sweet sweet little puppydog!! Reminds me how sweet Dragon was when we first got him. Absolutely precious. My two cents: you will love that beautiful dog so much in time that you won't care whether its truly AKC registered or not. Enjoy loving on her while she's little!! I love you
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 2:08 am

They will certainly care if the puppy is riddled with hereditary disease or if they have hopes of showing or working this dog. Which it seems there is an interest. Find yourself a quality breeder that actually health tests their dogs and knows the quality in which you seek (and at that price deserve).

I too have emailed this 'breeder' and I'm not impressed. They are not prompt to reply to emails, they dodge the questions I have asked, and even the most basic of requests of seeing photos of the parents is too much for them to comply to. Try to get your money back.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
dragonthewhitedread
Teenager
Teenager
dragonthewhitedread

Male Join date : 2012-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 2:14 am

I didn't mean to say they wouldn't care if something was wrong, but merely that you grow to love your dog whether its a "champion" or not. If you're buying a dog just to show it and get a champion title I don't believe that's a good reason to buy a dog. If you don't care about the animal then what's the point, for you or the dog? I was just trying to give a little bit of encouragement about how sometimes the bond and love between you and your dog can overthrow what cons there may have been to begin with. The puppy is cute and deserves love just like any other pup. Quality blood lines or not.
Back to top Go down
goaliechick41
Teenager
Teenager
goaliechick41

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 2:20 am

HuskyMom09 wrote:

I too have emailed this 'breeder' and I'm not impressed. They are not prompt to reply to emails, they dodge the questions I have asked, and even the most basic of requests of seeing photos of the parents is too much for them to comply to. Try to get your money back.

Lucky for them I am ridiculously persistent, and eventually got the.info. They are just a military family breeding their dogs for the first time. I didn't get that concept until they had cashed my deposit check. Which they labelled as NON refundable.

So I will make the best of what I have. If she's not cut out for agility (my main showing desire), then I'll try obedience. Or nose work of some sort. And then there is always hiking, pulling.... We'll find something to do.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 2:21 am

I was under the impression you were getting a dog to either show or do some kind of obedience with... I can't remember if you said the in a post before or not. Anyways, if you are looking for a quality puppy to get performance out of, I wouldn't suggest continuing forward. If you see just sticking to a dog that you have gotten attached to already and plain just getting it be your average pup at home, I guess it doesn't matter too much. One thing, though, is you should NOT be laying $1K for it. From a very high end reputable breeder you could spend that much- I've seen amazing dogs with great pedigrees go for 900-1,200 for full registration, so a BYB dog should not even come near that price pocket.

I don't know. I know where you are coming from, and it seems you understand you rushed and maybe made the not best decision, and it's cool that at least you understand and learned for next time. I just could not stomach myself getting s dog from these people and giving them my money. I would still continue to tell the people who bred that they should negotiate the price to you as they made it sound as if their dogs are championed, when they are not. You have your leverage.

Being in the military community myself, I will tell you that a lot of the military families that do this sort of thing, the breeding, do not do it in a way I would find respectful at all. I wouldn't even classify them in the "BYBs who love the breed and want to share the love for it!" category. Most of them are money hungry. The people breeding their huskies or trying to, I couldn't even get into that without getting nasty about it, haha.

It sucks because it's not the puppies these idiots bring into the world who should suffer... On one end, it feels like you are "saving the puppy" and bringing into your home where you KNOW it will stay and prosper. On the other hand, you are fueling the "breeder" by giving them your money and they will repeat it. It's a difficult world out there. I really wish people had to go through some thorough process to be able to breed and people could verify their credibility by it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Help...duped by a backyard breeder

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next