It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Help...duped by a backyard breeder

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 2:25 am

I don't believe it has so much to do with the lines from which the dog came as it has very much to do with the health of the puppy (first and foremost) and what the owner wants to do with said puppy.

You can't take a dog that has structural faults and expect them to "work" (work being anything you do with the dog) long term. Love or not - it's not going to prevent the dog from breaking down.

Not intending this to sound mean or anything but sometimes you have to realize that no matter what you're going to love an animal but it doesn't mean they will turn out for what you want them to do. Smile

Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 3 Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
goaliechick41
Teenager
Teenager
goaliechick41

Female Join date : 2012-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 2:29 am

Heather- exactly. I agree with everything you said. I care more about the dogs.than the people. If I don't bring her home, she'll likely go to a shelter by 2 years. She is better off at my house than many other places she would go.

Also- first and foremost, I want a dog to be a companion. If the day comes she can't keep up on walks, we shorten the walks. I would carry.her full grown, home from a hike if I had to to take care of her. I am one of those. I skip work for dogs I rescue to make sure they are taken care of and feel safe.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 2:35 am

That is the reason I am not "scolding" if you will, is because you are making it clear that you are going to commit 100% to this dog, and I'd rather you take the dog than someone else looking for a pretty husky (which is also very common in military areas). I see at least a dozen huskies alone being rehomed here from the base because the spouses grow tired of dealing with the service member's dog. It's very depressing.

Are you going to talk to them about the price at least?

Also curious to see the pup's parents... Could you post photos?
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 2:41 am

I think my biggest qualm with this whole mess is the fact they are blatantly taking advantage of people. Selling these dogs as Champion Blood Lines to bump up the price without being able to back it up in the slightest. Breeding without knowledge of what to be breeding for. Not health clearing the parents....its a recipe for disaster. This is not about just "showing" our dogs for CH titles (which I'm really getting tired of the show dog hating in this forum but that's another topic for another day), it is about the health and quality of a dog that you are paying for when it doesn't add up. As it was mentioned these people did not take any of the necessary steps to ensure a pup worth that of a quality bred dog. Its not fair that people like this get away with taking advantage of the unsuspecting.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
goaliechick41
Teenager
Teenager
goaliechick41

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 2:44 am

Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 3 IMG956255
Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 3 IMG955003

Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 3 IMG955299

I hope you guys can figure out which is which without labels. Wink
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 2:56 am

HuskyMom09 wrote:
I think my biggest qualm with this whole mess is the fact they are blatantly taking advantage of people. Selling these dogs as Champion Blood Lines to bump up the price without being able to back it up in the slightest. Breeding without knowledge of what to be breeding for. Not health clearing the parents....its a recipe for disaster. This is not about just "showing" our dogs for CH titles (which I'm really getting tired of the show dog hating in this forum but that's another topic for another day), it is about the health and quality of a dog that you are paying for when it doesn't add up. As it was mentioned these people did not take any of the necessary steps to ensure a pup worth that of a quality bred dog. Its not fair that people like this get away with taking advantage of the unsuspecting.

I agree, absolutely.

Dad isn't that bad looking, not sure of the angle but mom looks a little odd with her stop/ears.
Kind of makes me sick they're trying to bank 6K off this though, lol... Poor momma dog.
Back to top Go down
goaliechick41
Teenager
Teenager
goaliechick41

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 3:00 am

The angle is really weird, and the bunched up blanket doesn't help either. She looks like your typical scrawny white female husky. Kinda similar to the white shepherds... Not too bad looking, but dad is definitely the looker. I'd say that's a bad pic of him. He is gorgeous (imho).
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 3:15 am

If I could make a suggestion, do not do agility until around 2. You can do prelims, but no jumping or extensively hard hip work. Then, get this dog tested for HD via OFA and if he checks out, you may feel more confident. I'd still be worried, because I have no idea the structure of the little guy.

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 3:22 am

Keep this civilized, I'm serious.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
goaliechick41
Teenager
Teenager
goaliechick41

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 3:24 am

mheath0429 wrote:
If I could make a suggestion, do not do agility until around 2. You can do prelims, but no jumping or extensively hard hip work. Then, get this dog tested for HD via OFA and if he checks out, you may feel more confident. I'd still be worried, because I have no idea the structure of the little guy.

Sounds like a solid idea. I definitely plan on getting both our huskies fully checked out. I will stick to obedience and easy hiking at first. Smile

Have we crossed a line somewhere? Last thing I want to do is offend you guys while I'm brand new.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 3:28 am

You haven't crossed a line, we just want you to be safe. Also, at 6 months look into CERF clinics and get him tested, Juvenile Cataracts can be scary. I'm taking my female in at the next clinic here.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 3:30 am

I didn't see anything that was even remotely close to not being civil O.o I thought this was a pretty good topic!

Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 3:31 am

Karissa, you have not crossed a line or offended anyone! It's just very sad to see people like the one you are buying from reap money from doing things like this, and with their have been a sort of heated debate on BYBs a few days ago, people are probably unintentionally coming off like they are upset with you when they just feel bad for these puppies. You were unknowing, it happens to first time puppy owners almost always, so people are just trying to look out for the pup since it's unknown what's in their genetics as far as health issues and also give advice for next time. Smile
At least this pup will have a forever home and not be rehomed later on!

I don't think she thought anyone was being nasty, but as we have said previously, people can interpret things wrongly.. everyone is just having your best interest at heart Smile
Back to top Go down
goaliechick41
Teenager
Teenager
goaliechick41

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 3:41 am

Ok, just making sure! Thanks to everyone for the.advice, btw. I'll be sure to make a thread on her training when I get her. I still have a lot of research to do on the testing. I'm about to download the sire's pedigree... I'll update once I break it down.

(edit: I really wish my phone would stop autocorrecting sire to site...)
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 3:43 am

Karissa, will you also post a picture? I'd really like to see it. If that would okay?
Back to top Go down
goaliechick41
Teenager
Teenager
goaliechick41

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 3:45 am

I'll see.what I can do. I have a pic of the mom's I can post, but there's nothing there. No tests, no points, no "real" names, etc..
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 3:46 am

That's okay, I can still take a look and check for CERF/OFA info..if there is any!
Back to top Go down
goaliechick41
Teenager
Teenager
goaliechick41

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 4:03 am

Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 3 2013-01-05_21-56-52

Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 3 IMG951973
Back to top Go down
capblossoms
Teenager
Teenager
capblossoms

Female Join date : 2011-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 4:10 am

OUCH!! Kaiser is champion sired and we only paid $750 for him. $500 is a LOT for a deposit. I might threaten to turn them into housing anyway. In my experience as well, most military should NOT be breeding. There is a couple here that got a Great Dane and a Yorkie, bred both (not to each other), sold the puppies, re homed both dogs claiming they weren't a good fit for the family, and are now looking at getting an unfixed English Bulldog, and have already gotten an unfixed Min Pin...
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 4:16 am

Alright, there is a lot of unnecessary line breeding. I hope those lines are clean. There are CH, but far in the line, although it appears the Miroskima does some testing, so hopefully, that will help. I wouldn't call that kennel reputable, but at least they are clean on the diseases at least, from what I can find - BUT that doesn't mean they weren't carriers and it produced in the lines. This is a case of lines getting into the WRONG hands.

A product of Miroskima, bred with primarily Karnovanda lines:

http://karamadsiberians.com/misty.htm
Back to top Go down
capblossoms
Teenager
Teenager
capblossoms

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 4:42 am

This thread has me looking at Kaiser's papers.....his Dam's grandparents were full brother and sister. That can't be good.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 4:43 am

capblossoms wrote:
This thread has me looking at Kaiser's papers.....his Dam's grandparents were full brother and sister. That can't be good.

Feel free to post it. We can take a look!

I would bet that was an accidental breeding because bro - sis is pretty taboo.
Back to top Go down
goaliechick41
Teenager
Teenager
goaliechick41

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 4:52 am

Ew! That's kind of freaky to find out. Gives.you an excuse for when he.does something silly.though! Wink
Well, the sire's dad is the dam's grandfather on the mothers side... I find that disturbing as well...
Apologies on the excess periods btw.... My phone gets worse to text on every day... Darn touchscreens...
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 4:55 am

Properly done - line breeding isn't a bad thing.

But it has to be -properly- done by people who have some basic knowledge of genetics and the like.

If you're just throwing dogs together..than it's probably not a good thing.

Back to top Go down
capblossoms
Teenager
Teenager
capblossoms

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 4:59 am

Kaiser's sire's pedigree. They SAID Kai was champion sired, and that this was the pedigree they got when they registered him. We never bothered to check though, because it didn't really matter much to us. Not sure why it is flipped.
Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 3 Copper_zps66e05f2a

And his dam.
Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 3 Aspen_zps21aa64e5
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help...duped by a backyard breeder   Breeder - Help...duped by a backyard breeder - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Help...duped by a backyard breeder

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next