It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
CatDen
Teenager
Teenager
CatDen

Female Join date : 2013-01-19

Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name? Empty
PostSubject: Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name?   Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name? EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 5:14 pm

We have had the HARDEST time with people mispronouncing Alki's name. It's pronounced like Al-keye but everyone calls him Alky (as in alcoholic, hah). No w it looks like we have to start putting a line over the i to signify it's a long i. Ugh. Does anyone else have any trouble with people mispronouncing your Husky's name? How did you fix it?
Back to top Go down
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

Female Join date : 2012-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name?   Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name? EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 5:18 pm

I always thought your dog's name was Alki as in Alcoholic. WOOPS.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wesatonashoreline.wordpress.com
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name?   Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name? EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 5:20 pm

^ lol so did I.

Embry is the only one people have issues pronouncing. Em-bree
Back to top Go down
vegeta819
Teenager
Teenager
vegeta819

Male Join date : 2013-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name?   Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name? EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 5:23 pm

I feel your pain. I just have to tell them constantly and eventually they get it. For some reason since he's mostly white everyone assumes he is a she, poor fella.
Back to top Go down
CatDen
Teenager
Teenager
CatDen

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name?   Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name? EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 5:24 pm

Hahaha. Man! We named him after Alki Beach in Seattle. I guess only people who knew the area would know how to pronounce it. Crap!
Back to top Go down
SkylerWest
Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

Male Join date : 2012-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name?   Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name? EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 5:25 pm

Jennet&Embry wrote:
^ lol so did I.

Guilty of that too. I've yet to have people say his name wrong, I've had problems with them spelling it wrong.
Back to top Go down
CatDen
Teenager
Teenager
CatDen

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name?   Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name? EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 5:26 pm

If his name had been Alkī, would you have known? Or Alkii?
Back to top Go down
vegeta819
Teenager
Teenager
vegeta819

Male Join date : 2013-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name?   Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name? EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 5:28 pm

For some reason I put in an extra syllable and said Alaki (Al-a-keye)....don't know where that a came from tongue
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

Female Join date : 2012-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name?   Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name? EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 5:36 pm

well all of our dogs names are really easy to say...karma, kato, and khloe...

there was one time my Kato....was called "CAT-O".... Neutral
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name?   Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name? EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 5:51 pm

Some guy at the dog park can never get Maya's name right. He calls her Mayla, Mayka, Mayra, and some others. Kay's is pretty easy and so is Sophie's but some people call Sophie Sophia.
Back to top Go down
Melissa911
Puppy
Puppy
Melissa911

Female Join date : 2012-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name?   Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name? EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 6:12 pm

Yes!
People (even my vets office) all pronounce her name "Kira" even after they hear me call her Ky-ra lol it happens all the time and sometimes it's frustrating, especially when the vet leaves voice mails and it's always "Hey! just wanted to see how Kira was doing" Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name? 1625187496
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name?   Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name? EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 6:26 pm

Everyone just thinks my puppy is a girl when I say the name. It's Russian for Little Bear or even the nickname for Mikhail (Michael). I even consulted a Russian friend of mine to see if the name would be appropriate and to double check on the meaning. Oh well.

Crispin
Newborn
Newborn
Crispin

Male Join date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name?   Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name? EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 6:46 pm

People seem to mispronounce Crispin as "Kristin" or "Christian" when they say his name out loud. It's funny when they think it's "Kristin" and then notice he's a boy. I've generally accepted it as our fault for naming him as we did.
Back to top Go down
Shorty4lyfe89
Teenager
Teenager
Shorty4lyfe89

Female Join date : 2012-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name?   Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name? EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 7:01 pm

Luna is pretty easy but our Mini Dachshund's name is Anja. Pronounced An-ya, people always say it wrong!!
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name?   Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name? EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 7:10 pm

Okay here is my little girl's name Kerianseray .
Pronounce Keri- an-se-ray.
Of course the short versions most of the time are Keri-an or even Keri. We only use the long name when she is in trouble my husband say by the time you say her long name you have cool off some. lol!
Back to top Go down
Danzig's Mommy
Senior
Senior
Danzig's Mommy

Female Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name?   Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name? EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 7:18 pm

I have problems all the time. Though mine is not near as hard everyone above.
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name?   Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name? EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 7:25 pm

yep. Kiba of course looks like its pronounced like the word Kibble. but phonetically its Key-ba because its Japanese for "fang" Smile . So basically no one gets it right at the vets office and then we get sideways looks at the dog park because i didn't name her something like Princess. No knocking common dog names b/c my first dogs name was Max lol. But people dont know what to do with Kiba and i usually just let them say it wrong and dont take offense. Its not a big deal to me
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name?   Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name? EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 9:12 pm

We were thinking of that too, but with a name like Stark, it's pretty hard to mispronounce...

...although we did have some people call him Star and look at me weird when they noticed he wasn't a female... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name?   Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name? EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 9:14 pm

CatDen wrote:
We have had the HARDEST time with people mispronouncing Alki's name. It's pronounced like Al-keye but everyone calls him Alky (as in alcoholic, hah).

Is it like Al-kai (sounds like alkaline without the "L"?)

Sorry just wanted to make sure - Smile
Back to top Go down
Mink
Puppy
Puppy
Mink

Female Join date : 2013-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name?   Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name? EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 10:42 pm

Well, we just got and named our baby girl yesterday, and already had a few people mess it up lol!

We named her Cadance (kay-dince) which is the short of Cadenza which we thought was pretty, and not too common, after going over about 100 names lol. The breeder said she was the sweet, lovey, prim and proper princess, and there's a princess cadenza that's called Cadance Smile .

But.. I already had a few friends call her Candice. Razz I even said Cadance to my boss and she asked me if we would call her candy for short. That would be like a double negative, a short of a short! Laughing

Now I even got tounge-tied a couple times and called her candice, thanks to everyone. Razz

Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name?   Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name? EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 11:08 pm

People say my girls names wrong all the time. A lot just give me a black stare when I saw Siku (See-koo) and my dad still pronounces Elara's name wrong. lol.

Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name? Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name?   Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name? EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 2:12 am

Vet Tech: What a cute dog. Whats his name?
Me: Her name is "Teekah" (I'm spelling phonetically).
Vet Tech: Tea Bag!?]

Apart from that, which was the worst, I hear Tea Cup a lot.

No one seems to screw up Ripley.

~Chris~

Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name?   Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name? EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 2:36 am

People always ask me to repeat Kale's name several times and spell it, still nothing, till I say "like the lettuce", then it's the "oohhhh..." response lol
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Kavik_the_Havoc
Teenager
Teenager
Kavik_the_Havoc

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name?   Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name? EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 2:48 am

People always pause and stare whenever I say KaVik and ask me to repeat it. Then they say KaBik and ask 'what does that mean'? Like it's some alien word.
Back to top Go down
CaptainMorgan
Puppy
Puppy
CaptainMorgan

Female Join date : 2013-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name?   Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name? EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 4:52 am

Malfoy. Mal-foy. I thought it was super easy to say yet people always have the hardest time with it or have no idea what it is from and look at me weird. Even when I prompt with 'You know...like from Harry Potter?' I get many odd looks still. I truly don't feel his name is hard at all to say.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name?   Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name? Empty

Back to top Go down

Having trouble with people pronouncing your Husky's name?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next