It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Need Advice

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CASSIEjm
Newborn
Newborn

Need Advice Empty
PostSubject: Need Advice   Need Advice EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 7:14 pm

So a friend of mine works with some people on Facebook who transport dogs, mainly shepherds, but she knows I'm a husky lover and sent me a pic of a husky at Devore shelter in CA. I'm in Wi and she going to see if her friend who lives in CA can possibly get some info on the dog. I called and they really had no info to give me aside that he is about 1.5, not house trained, not neutered.

Now the questions, I would hate to see this dog put down but I have also never gotten a dog from a shelter. Do they generally adopt out dogs that may be aggressive? Is there really a "safe" way to adopt from a shelter?

Thanks for your inputs
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

Need Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Advice   Need Advice EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 7:21 pm

I really don't know about shelters in Ca. we got our Girl from a shelter in Missouri she was 2 plus years we had a few issues with her which we have over come most of them still it is on ongoing process we had her for over 9 months now. I really wouldn't think shelters would adopted out a over aggressive dog but shelters do not have the funds that some rescues have to work with the dogs or screen them I believe. .

I am sure other have more information that can help.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

Need Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Advice   Need Advice EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 8:03 pm

I have heard a LOT of very extremely bad things about Devore shelter, and my personal experiences with them have been equally disturbing. They lie about a lot of the dogs there. If you are thinking about adopting..you need to make a decision FAST. Devore is one of those shelters that will kill a dog even if you say you are interested. So while this isn't a decision to rush in to..you need to make a decision. A little hypocritical, I know.

On that note, Devore would never adopt out an aggressive dog, at least from the experience I and others have from them. I am really too sure what you are asking, honestly. When you adopt from a shelter, you are taking a gamble. Adopting isn't for everyone. Even when you buy a puppy, you are taking somewhat of a gamble with that pup, depending on where and who you got that puppy from. On that note however, some shelter dogs take a lot more work then other dogs. Kennedy I adopted from a shelter in Mississippi, and she has been the most easy going rescue EVER! She was potty trained in three days, taught leash manners in about a week, and I have not had any other problems with her. Sheba was saved from a puppy mill, and she has not been as easy, at all.

You have to also remember, this is a husky. Huskies are not the easiest dogs in any means. Just because you adopt from a shelter, doesn't mean you are getting this broken down, messed up dog. You are adopting a dog that society has thrown away. A lot of people have misconceptions about adopting from shelters. Some dogs do have a lot of history which is not the dogs fault. Other dogs are a breeze. It just depends. You should be willing to put in the time and effort in training and rehabilitating if that is necessary. If that overwhelms you, then you may want to rethink adopting from a shelter.

Once you find out more information, you can obviously make a more informed decision.

But I will say, huskies at Devore are either adopted right away, or are put down equally fast. Is the dog at the shelter, or is he at the boarding kennel? If he is at the kennel, he has a little bit more time. If he is at the shelter though..oh boy. They don't really stand a chance if they aren't networked the minute they get information on these dogs.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

Need Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Advice   Need Advice EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 8:22 pm

Even if you're adopting a dog from a really well know, reputable shelter, it can be somewhat of a gamble. Often times, no matter where you adopt from, shelters really don't have much information about a dog before they come to them.

If you're in the position to adopt a dog, you meet the dog and like it, then I say go for it.

I'm not sure about that shelter specifically, but if we're talking about a kill-shelter, I'm pretty sure aggressiveness is one of the main reasons dogs are put down. So if a dog has made it through the evaluations to be put up for adoption, I'd assume it's not aggressive.
Back to top Go down
CASSIEjm
Newborn
Newborn

Need Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Advice   Need Advice EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 9:29 pm

Thanks for your responses, I'm not sure if the dog is in the kennel or not. The woman I talked to said he ran away from home. She said if he is not claimed by the 15 he will be put up for adoption. I think what worries me is that because he is in CA I can't go and see him, if he were closer i could go and at least see how he is with me. Personally I'm thinking his owners haven't spent much time with him if he's a year and a half and has no training, but that's just my opinion.

Really it's just pulling at my heart, I do know it's a high kill shelter and he's beautiful, it's sad. Just don't want to see him out down. He could be an amazing dog or a dog that just needs some help to become amazing. Sad
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Need Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Advice   Need Advice EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 9:33 pm

could you get him, and then work with him and if it turns out not to be a fit for you family maybe you can find him a new family? at least your still saving his life.

Newborn
Newborn

Need Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Advice   Need Advice EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 2:35 am

Yeah Jennifer, that's the plan. I'm just going to go for it, the original owners hav until the 15 to claim him. If not he will be up for adoption. I'm going to call the shelter again tomorrow and see if I can start to get things going.

Thanks you all for your input!
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Need Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Advice   Need Advice EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 2:58 am

Awesome!!! Just remember, lots of us here are rather rescue saavy, so don't be afraid to ask questions!
Back to top Go down
CASSIEjm
Newborn
Newborn

Need Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Advice   Need Advice EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 3:10 am

Thanks Kelsey, I posted on the transport page looking for connections, obvioulsey I have to start with the shelter, but I also need to get him from CA to WI. Or even Mn or IL so if u have any connections or ideas I'd appreciate it!!
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Need Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Advice   Need Advice EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 3:21 am

I'll see if I can dig anything up that way!
Back to top Go down
CASSIEjm
Newborn
Newborn

Need Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Advice   Need Advice EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 3:26 am

Thanks!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Need Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Advice   Need Advice Empty