It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Advice please

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kelli0713
Teenager
Teenager
Kelli0713

Female Join date : 2013-02-16

Advice please Empty
PostSubject: Advice please   Advice please EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 1:26 pm

We are thinking of everything we can in order to keep Peaches, providing that I am allergic to her. Given how I feel I'm pretty sure that is the case. Anyway, do any of you use an outdoor kennel? This way she could live outside but still be apart of our family. As of right now that is the only other option I can come up with. If she lived outside we would be able to do walks 2-3 times a day and I know I would be less likely to have a reaction to her since she would be outdoors.

If you do use a kennel, what do you have? Have you had a big problem with them getting out? I'm thinking that if we did a kennel, I could chain her inside, that would keep her from digging or climbing out. What do you all think?
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

Advice please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Advice please EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 1:38 pm

Kelli, IMHO chaining her inside a kennel wouldn't be much of a life for her. I know you are just thinking of ways to keep her, but it has to also be fair to her. Dogs are such pack animals, they really aren't happy being away from their "pack" you guys!

First thing you have to see if it really is her you are allergic too? Have you never lived with dogs before, even when young? If so did you not react to those dogs? Have you ever been around any other dog that made you react, and your not reacting to the cat or bunny? Have you starting using anything else new, detergent, soap, air freshner, rug cleaner, any other new cleaning supply?

Have you tried an otc allergy product such as Zyrtec or Allegra?

If you get tested and are severely allergic then you have a hard decision to make indeed, I don't envy you. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Huskydad
Teenager
Teenager
Huskydad

Advice please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Advice please EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 1:41 pm

I would try OTC meds first. Have you tried wearing a medical or dust mask? I would never put a dog in a kennel no matter what. You need to try everything first.
Back to top Go down
HermesHaven
Newborn
Newborn
HermesHaven

Female Join date : 2013-01-28

Advice please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Advice please EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 1:41 pm

How old is the puppy? I would be nervous about chaining her up because if she was to dig under the kennel and get stuck she could essentially hang herself. If you were to do this you would have to burry the fence at least 5 feet undergound and then have it so that it was at least 8 feet high after burrying it. I personally don't agree with chaining your dog up, she could easily get caught on things.

Have you tried going to see someone for your allergies? Also last summer I was allergic to my sibe but it was because of the flee and tick product that I was using on him. And maybe try changing her food? Higher quality food would make her shed less.

I wish you the best of luck with figuring out what is wrong
Back to top Go down
Kelli0713
Teenager
Teenager
Kelli0713

Advice please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Advice please EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 1:46 pm

Balonsmom wrote:
Kelli, IMHO chaining her inside a kennel wouldn't be much of a life for her. I know you are just thinking of ways to keep her, but it has to also be fair to her. Dogs are such pack animals, they really aren't happy being away from their "pack" you guys!

First thing you have to see if it really is her you are allergic too? Have you never lived with dogs before, even when young? If so did you not react to those dogs? Have you ever been around any other dog that made you react, and your not reacting to the cat or bunny? Have you starting using anything else new, detergent, soap, air freshner, rug cleaner, any other new cleaning supply?

Have you tried an otc allergy product such as Zyrtec or Allegra?

If you get tested and are severely allergic then you have a hard decision to make indeed, I don't envy you. Good luck!

I KNOW! I don't want to shove her outside, alone. I don't want that at all. I'm just trying so hard to find a way to fix this.

We have had a day for 10 yrs and the rabbit for 2 and I have never had a problem with them. As far as dogs, we had a couple when I was growing up and they were outside dogs. I never really had a lot of contact with them. I have been thinking about changes and nothing is coming to find, I buy the same cleaning products, soaps and so on. I can't think of anything that has changed in the last couple of week, other than adding a dog to the family.

I am taking an RX allergy pill in the am, Allegra in the evening and a nasal spray. None of that is working. Sad I have been a mess all day, I can't stop crying. I wanted 2 weeks to get Peaches and have spent the last 2 weeks loving her. Everything points to Peaches as being the root of all my allergy issues.

I'm upset for myself, I don't want to loss her but my daughter is the big issue. She loves Peaches so much, she will be 9 in a few days and I don't want to be the reason she doesn't get to keep her puppy. She says she understands and that she isn't upset with me.

THIS SUCKS!!!
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Advice please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Advice please EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 1:57 pm

Ok so it sounds like the cat and bunny do not make you react, and you can pinpoint this starting when you brought Peaches home? And you have bathed her since bringing her home? Reason I say this is because some people use flea powder and I know my son reacted really badly to it when we adopted a greyhound years ago?

Is there any chance you have developed allergies to tree pollen? I know my husband is a mess right now because of it?

Believe me no one is judging you Kelly, it certainly isn't that you aren't trying, we are all just trying to help you figure this out. Believe me I feel really bad for you! It really sucks it really does! I am sorry that the medicines aren't working. It is sounding like Peaches is the culprit, when are you being tested?

I just went back and reread your original post, you say you are allergic to lots of other things? Could it be that maybe because the pollen count is so high right now you are just reacting worse to those other things than usual? Just thinking lol

Last edited by Balonsmom on Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kelli0713
Teenager
Teenager
Kelli0713

Advice please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Advice please EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 2:02 pm

Balonsmom wrote:
Ok so it sounds like the cat and bunny do not make you react, and you can pinpoint this starting when you brought Peaches home? And you have bathed her since bringing her home? Reason I say this is because some people use flea powder and I know my son reacted really badly to it when we adopted a greyhound years ago?

Is there any chance you have developed allergies to tree pollen? I know my husband is a mess right now because of it?

Believe me no one is judging you Kelly, it certainly isn't that you aren't trying, we are all just trying to help you figure this out. Believe me I feel really bad for you! It really sucks it really does! I am sorry that the medicines aren't working. It is sounding like Peaches is the culprit, when are you being tested?

Thank you! I know you are all trying to help and I really do appreciate it. Yes, we did give Peaches a bath the day we brought her home. I have to be med free for at least 7 days before I can be tested. So it will be at least a week.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Advice please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Advice please EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 2:03 pm

Kelli, could it be that because the pollen count is unusually high that maybe your old meds aren't working so its making you feel worse?
Back to top Go down
Kelli0713
Teenager
Teenager
Kelli0713

Advice please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Advice please EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 2:09 pm

Balonsmom wrote:
Kelli, could it be that because the pollen count is unusually high that maybe your old meds aren't working so its making you feel worse?

I really hope that is the problem. I usually react in the spring and fall but never ever like this. I'm hoping it is just a coincidence that these issues didn't start until Peaches came along. We will be keeping her until I know for sure and we will keep her until I have used up every option I have. I won't be giving away our baby unless there is no other choice. In the end my health will have to win, not that I want it to but that's how it has to be. Sad

If it wasn't for my daughter this wouldn't be so hard. Yes it would hurt be deeply to have to get rid of her but taking her away from my child is what really hurts.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Advice please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Advice please EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 2:13 pm

I asked my husband and he said the same thing, he is much worse this year then last. I am lucky and don't have any allergies, my one son has them in spring and the youngest has some spring allergies and also can react sometimes to dogs. He takes allegra and has been fine with no problems. So my guess is he isn't very allergic.

Was wondering if you ever tried Allergra D, the one with a decongestant?

I know you want to keep her, especially for your daughter, my son is the reason we are getting a third and he is 21 years old lol. I know all about what we do for our kids no matter how old they are lol!

I really hope you find a way to keep her, but if not Kelli you will know that you tried everything you could, no one can blame you for that! Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Kelli0713
Teenager
Teenager
Kelli0713

Advice please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Advice please EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 2:15 pm

Balonsmom wrote:
I asked my husband and he said the same thing, he is much worse this year then last. I am lucky and don't have any allergies, my one son has them in spring and the youngest has some spring allergies and also can react sometimes to dogs. He takes allegra and has been fine with no problems. So my guess is he isn't very allergic.

Was wondering if you ever tried Allergra D, the one with a decongestant?

I know you want to keep her, especially for your daughter, my son is the reason we are getting a third and he is 21 years old lol. I know all about what we do for our kids no matter how old they are lol!

I really hope you find a way to keep her, but if not Kelli you will know that you tried everything you could, no one can blame you for that! Good luck!

Thank you for your kind words, I really appreciate that. Yes, I have tried Allegra D, it didn't help. That's why the dr added the Rx to it.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Advice please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Advice please EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 2:17 pm

Please keep us informed as to what you find out. I will be hoping it all turns out ok for you Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kelli0713
Teenager
Teenager
Kelli0713

Advice please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Advice please EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 2:21 pm

I will, Thank you!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

Advice please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Advice please EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 3:06 pm

Just wanted to give you my story also, and I am HIGHLY allergic to EVERYTHING when I got tested, including dogs, but not allergic to cockroaches!

We adopted Ginger in August 2010, and I sat in a room with husky fur whirling around a small room. 2 hours, no reaction, so we decided to adopt her. I took extra care the first 9 months about keeping the house clean and Ginger off furniture and off the bed. April 2011, we adopted Storm, and he is a couch potato and decided our couch was old enough for the pups to join us as they so pleased. Ginger also started sleeping with us at night in bed, but then she later moved to the floor.

No issues so far with 2.

Spring and Summer of 2012, I started breaking out in hives and got tested. I am HIGHLY allergic to EVERYTHING except roaches! So I started Zyrtec and Allegra (generic and OTC) and it helped. And I started to back off the meds, but the hives came back. The allergist did say 2012 was high pollen count, so that would've made me react as Ginger and Storm would carry the pollen in their coat and bring in the home.

Fall came around and my allergy reactions went away.

Huskies have a coating on their fur that naturally repel dirt and water (which is why sibes usually don't smell and don't need baths as often as other breeds), but with the high pollen count, I needed a little help.

What you could try is buy those pet bath wipes, or baby wipes, and wipe the coat down before enter the home, or before contact. This can help remove the allergen carried in her coat.

If you're still reacting, I think not only would you need to think of your health first, but also the quality of life you'd want for Peaches.

Good luck! I know it's not an easy decision!

Teenager
Teenager
Kelli0713

Advice please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Advice please EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 3:39 pm

Thanks for sharing Claudia! I appreciate it! I will try the wipes and I'm going to talk to the Dr about allergy shots. I'm not going to give up unless I run out of options. In the end my health will have to win out. I do feel better knowing that if all else fails and we can't keep her she will have a good home, the breeder has agreed to take back. She said they would keep her and that my daughter could visit as often as she likes so that is a huge weight lifted. It won't be the same as having her in our home but it beats never seeing her again.

Kathy told me to take as much time as we needed, that Peaches was welcome back at anytime. So we can try different things and we don't have to rush into it.
Back to top Go down
Super Nova
Teenager
Teenager
Super Nova

Male Join date : 2013-01-18

Advice please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Advice please EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 3:47 pm

Did you get to see the puppy before you picked her up? Did you have a reaction then?
Back to top Go down
Kelli0713
Teenager
Teenager
Kelli0713

Advice please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Advice please EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 4:13 pm

Super Nova wrote:
Did you get to see the puppy before you picked her up? Did you have a reaction then?

No, the day we picked her up was the first time we saw her.
Back to top Go down
Super Nova
Teenager
Teenager
Super Nova

Male Join date : 2013-01-18

Advice please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Advice please EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 5:56 pm

Kelli0713 wrote:
Super Nova wrote:

No, the day we picked her up was the first time we saw her.

If you are severely allergy you would have puffed out and had a reaction instantly. I can't pet a cat without my hand and facing puffing out. You may have slight allergies to her.

I won't do outdoor kennel - Huskies are pack dogs, being left alone will do more damage. Wait until you see the doctor before you do anything. You never know it could be something completely out there that you didn't think it was.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Advice please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Advice please EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 7:57 pm

What Claudia says makes a lot of sense, of course they will bring pollen in on their coats. Def try the wipes!
Back to top Go down
soul embrace
Teenager
Teenager
soul embrace

Male Join date : 2013-01-04

Advice please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Advice please EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 11:49 pm

Kelli just a thought here: since this didn't start until you you brought Peaches home it could be that she is getting whatever you are allergic to on her fur and feet and then bringing it in and the you start petting on her and loving on her.

have to tried taking a damp cloth and wiping her down every time she comes in and see if this helps?
Back to top Go down
Kavik_the_Havoc
Teenager
Teenager
Kavik_the_Havoc

Advice please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Advice please EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 12:03 am

I second the pollen issue. I woke up this morning and felt like a freight train ran into my face. I had to run to the store to get the strong Allegra-D you have to sign your life away for (show drivers license). I'm allergic to dogs, I break out of I hug them too much, but huskies aren't too bad. They don't really have a lot of dander and their coat repels dirt. The wipes may help as suggested above. I've found Zertec to be helpful or Sudafed. You have to find what works for you and change it up. Your immune system makes their potency go down after a while of taking the same brand.

What Nova said is very true about allergic reactions. If you're severely allergic, you'll know. If I touch a cat my eyes will almost instantly swell shut and can affect my breathing.

I've never been a fan of the sinus sprays. I think they hurt more than help. Have you tried a sinus rinse? They are great for unblocking your sinus and reliving pressure. They are even better for preventing sinus infections or curing one in the very early stages. A shower before bed to sloth off allergens is a great help as well.

Last edited by Kavik_the_Havoc on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kavik_the_Havoc
Teenager
Teenager
Kavik_the_Havoc

Advice please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Advice please EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 12:08 am

Because I can't recommend this thing enough, here's a link to a sinus rinse I use. It takes a bit to get used to, but it works really well. I wish I had discovered it years ago. Just be sure to use distilled water. Use it once a day or when needed for mild sinus pressure/drainage issues, or twice a day - morning and night - for a consecutive week or two for severe discomfort. If you do it before bed, I would use it at least an hour beforehand. You might not notice it standing up or moving around, but the saline solution will drip down the back of your throat and it makes it impossible to fall asleep. lol! Coming from a severe allergy sufferer, especially pollen, I dare you to try this and say it doesn't make you feel better after a week.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/neilmed-sinus-rinse-starter-kit/ID=prod3366526-product
Back to top Go down
Kelli0713
Teenager
Teenager
Kelli0713

Advice please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Advice please EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 10:29 am

I'm headed to the Dr in a little while. Woke up this morning covered in hives and itching like crazy. Hoping to find out what is going on.
Back to top Go down
elmerdc4
Teenager
Teenager
elmerdc4

Male Join date : 2013-02-13

Advice please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Advice please EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 11:01 am

I hope everything is well
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Advice please Empty