It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

3 more days to go (questions too)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kelli0713
Teenager
Teenager
Kelli0713

Female Join date : 2013-02-16

3 more days to go (questions too) Empty
PostSubject: 3 more days to go (questions too)   3 more days to go (questions too) EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 1:14 am

Only 3 more days to go until we get our baby. We are still tossing names around names, we like Cookie and Peaches. I'm sure it will change, it already has a million times. I talked to Kathy, she said that both puppies are playing, eating well and ready to go. She is taking them away from their mama tonight so they have a little time to adjust without her.

I do have a couple of questions:

1. I see where people say that your puppy shouldn't be taken out until they have all of their shots. At what ages can I start taking her for short walks and not have to worry? I'm thinking they get their last shots at 12 weeks but I'm not sure.

2. Should I start her out with just a collar or should I go straight to a harness?

3. What would be the best way to introduce her to my cat, Waffle is 7 yrs old and pretty much afraid of her own shadow. We have a rabbit as well, I'm thinking that should be a no contact ever type of thing, right!?

Thanks! Smile

Last edited by Kelli0713 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: 3 more days to go (questions too)   3 more days to go (questions too) EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 2:23 am

1. If you have an area that you can walk her around, you can do that. Otherwise, I would wait til you at least get the parvo shot before walking around the neighborhood. Until you can walk, you can play in the backyard. Karli loves chase lol.

2. I started with a collar, not sure what's recommended.

3. I would introduce them on neutral territory and see how they react together.
Back to top Go down
Kelli0713
Teenager
Teenager
Kelli0713

PostSubject: Re: 3 more days to go (questions too)   3 more days to go (questions too) EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 2:25 am

Thanks! Problem with the cat is that I don't have neutral territory. She's an indoor only cat who has the run of the house. We live way to close to the road for her to be outside.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: 3 more days to go (questions too)   3 more days to go (questions too) EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 10:11 am

1. I'd hold off on walks until after the puppy series is done at approximately 12 weeks. Walk around the backyard with the pup before then.

2. I'd start working with both from the get go. You want your pup to get familiar and comfortable with both of them.

Kelli0713 wrote:
We have a rabbit as well, I'm thinking that should be a no contact ever type of thing, right!?

Negatory. I would introduce the rabbit and husky regularly (throughout their mutual existence) and teach your sibe what is acceptable behavior with the rabbit. I did this with my sibe and 3 guinea pigs and they all coexisted well together. They coexisted so well that I was able to house my guinea pigs on the floor with an open top and my sibe never bothered them because he was exposed to them frequently and learned that they were not to be bothered.

Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: 3 more days to go (questions too)   3 more days to go (questions too) EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 11:09 am

Agreed with Val. To add, you can try introducing them when the pup is in a crate. That way the cat can go around and smell the new addition without having a fear of being chased etc. It'll take some time, but you can also do it in increasing increments of time. Once the cat feels comfortable, they can meet face to face. There will be times where, like one of my cats, they don't get along - not fighting, they just stay away from each other, and that's fine too.

Just make sure to always keep an eye when they are together and one of them isn't contained. Smile Also, make sure you have escape routes for the cat (especially if it's declawed).
Back to top Go down
Kelli0713
Teenager
Teenager
Kelli0713

PostSubject: Re: 3 more days to go (questions too)   3 more days to go (questions too) EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 3:54 pm

Thank you both! My cat is declawed and she is scared of everything, we have had the rabbit for 2 years and she is still scared to death of her, won't go anywhere near her unless Dusty is in her cage. Hope we have better luck with a puppy. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 3 more days to go (questions too)   3 more days to go (questions too) Empty

Back to top Go down

3 more days to go (questions too)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1