It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Todays the day!!!!!! I ADDED PICTURES!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Kelli0713
Teenager
Teenager
Kelli0713

Female Join date : 2013-02-16

Todays the day!!!!!!  I ADDED PICTURES! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Todays the day!!!!!! I ADDED PICTURES!   Todays the day!!!!!!  I ADDED PICTURES! - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 5:21 am

It's going to be a LONG night. Peaches slept til 2:30am (I didn't). Took her to potty and for the last 45 minutes she has been crying and howling. We can't decide if she sounds like a rooster or a cow being butchered alive. lol! All in all she is doing well, one one (pee) accident inside all day. Hopefully she will settle down a little and I can get an hour or so sleep.
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Todays the day!!!!!! I ADDED PICTURES!   Todays the day!!!!!!  I ADDED PICTURES! - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 7:39 am

Kelli0713 wrote:
It's going to be a LONG night. Peaches slept til 2:30am (I didn't). Took her to potty and for the last 45 minutes she has been crying and howling. We can't decide if she sounds like a rooster or a cow being butchered alive. lol! All in all she is doing well, one one (pee) accident inside all day. Hopefully she will settle down a little and I can get an hour or so sleep.

Welcome to puppy ownership! Razz
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Todays the day!!!!!! I ADDED PICTURES!   Todays the day!!!!!!  I ADDED PICTURES! - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 12:13 pm

Today is the end of week 1 with Link....phew.

Feel free to pm me or we can text.

Lemme know. We almost put him in a FedEx box....only twice Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Kelli0713
Teenager
Teenager
Kelli0713

PostSubject: Re: Todays the day!!!!!! I ADDED PICTURES!   Todays the day!!!!!!  I ADDED PICTURES! - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 3:00 pm

seattlesibe wrote:
Today is the end of week 1 with Link....phew.

Feel free to pm me or we can text.

Lemme know. We almost put him in a FedEx box....only twice Smile

LOL! I'm hoping she gets better soon. She doesn't like being alone at all. She doesn't play much, just likes to lay close to us. Not sure if something is wrong or if she is just lazy.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Todays the day!!!!!! I ADDED PICTURES!   Todays the day!!!!!!  I ADDED PICTURES! - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 3:37 pm

Neither, it's more I don't know you, I don't know what you want from me, where is my old life, and why should I care about you? They are quite aloof and unimpressed with you for a few days. Ride it out. Start training now and provide her with boundaries and structure, and she'll love you.

Her life for 2 months was constant discipline and structure, if she has too much freedom and autonomy now all of a sudden it's terrifying and confusing.

Our biggest mistake early on was giving him too much freedom/autonomy and putting all his toys out all at once. This was terrible for his ADD and his perception that "hey, if all this is chewable then everything is chewable.....how fun!!"

We got him last Sunday and it wasn't until Wednesday morning that he started acting normal and not timid or confused and unsure.

Cheers, and have fun!
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Todays the day!!!!!! I ADDED PICTURES!   Todays the day!!!!!!  I ADDED PICTURES! - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 3:43 pm

Just have easy, clear expectations and provide with some calm assertive leadership and it will get you off on the perfect track.

We were also careful not to give him affection during times where he was scared or nervous, but instead, gave him the ability to face things and gain confidence in his trust and respect for us.

You're puppy is so gorgeous Smile
Back to top Go down
Kelli0713
Teenager
Teenager
Kelli0713

PostSubject: Re: Todays the day!!!!!! I ADDED PICTURES!   Todays the day!!!!!!  I ADDED PICTURES! - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 4:08 pm

Thank you so much Jeff! She is the sweetest baby. I almost gave in last night and let her sleep with me but I knew that would be a big mistake. I hate to hear her cry but she will get use to it soon, I hope. lol!
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Todays the day!!!!!! I ADDED PICTURES!   Todays the day!!!!!!  I ADDED PICTURES! - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 4:14 pm

Link slept for 6 hours straight without a peep last night--we SO needed that. His stints by night were 2.5, 3.5, 5, then 6 past few nights. He cries only the first 3 minutes or so then he's out like a light.

The crate boundary game works wonders. Sit it front, door open, her inside, kibble in hand, claim the boundary of the crate with your presence and energy and don't give in, keep saying "go in your crate Peaches!" and make it sound like the most amazing thing in the world. once she stays in calmly, kibble plus chest rub, plus excitement. Not to mention every single time she is in there and being calm and quiet, repeat, even through the bars while the door is closed.

Link goes in on command and chills now. Almost........got him doing it nonverbally........

Another good game, with the crate in one room, her inside and door closed, and you in another room but visible to her, let her cry and scream and keep the door closed. Once she is quiet and calm, open door and praise here. Keep repeating and repeating and adding kibble here and there. She will catch on fast.

But yeah, puffy eyes and frustration and little sleep is inevitable the first few nights and days for you Wink
Back to top Go down
Kelli0713
Teenager
Teenager
Kelli0713

PostSubject: Re: Todays the day!!!!!! I ADDED PICTURES!   Todays the day!!!!!!  I ADDED PICTURES! - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 4:38 pm

Thanks for the tips, I'll give that a shot. Smile
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Todays the day!!!!!! I ADDED PICTURES!   Todays the day!!!!!!  I ADDED PICTURES! - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 7:22 pm

Balon cried, ranted, raved, screamed, howled all of it for 2 weeks! No lie! I was so sleep deprived the teased me at work when I said I was getting another puppy lol. But he is such a love~
Back to top Go down
Kelli0713
Teenager
Teenager
Kelli0713

PostSubject: Re: Todays the day!!!!!! I ADDED PICTURES!   Todays the day!!!!!!  I ADDED PICTURES! - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 7:27 pm

Balonsmom wrote:
Balon cried, ranted, raved, screamed, howled all of it for 2 weeks! No lie! I was so sleep deprived the teased me at work when I said I was getting another puppy lol. But he is such a love~

Oh no! I hope it doesn't take us 2 weeks. My daughter (8 yrs old) is in school and my husband has to work so the puppy thing at home is all me. Not sure I could take 2 weeks of this.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Todays the day!!!!!! I ADDED PICTURES!   Todays the day!!!!!!  I ADDED PICTURES! - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 7:32 pm

I know I hope not for your sake either! He was so bad lol, and I had just done the puppy thing with the lab, she whined a little for 3 days that was all! So I was unprepared for Balon lol. This time I am borrowing a smaller crate and keeping Loki in our bedroom, it is my hope that this will settle him down more. Balon was in a crate next to Ruby in our family room. But her being there didn't help him lol, poor Ruby lol.
Back to top Go down
Kelli0713
Teenager
Teenager
Kelli0713

PostSubject: Re: Todays the day!!!!!! I ADDED PICTURES!   Todays the day!!!!!!  I ADDED PICTURES! - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 7:59 pm

Oh no! Sure hope she doesn't carry on like that, I don't think I will survive 2 weeks. Our last puppy was a lab/husky mix, he whined one night. Of course we we got him he was the only puppy left and he was a lone for 2-3 days before we picked him up and he was a little older. Hope you have better luck with Loki.
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Todays the day!!!!!! I ADDED PICTURES!   Todays the day!!!!!!  I ADDED PICTURES! - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 9:08 pm

Oh gosh kiba was like Balon. First few nights she sounded like a chimp. But we didn't give in and persevered with the crate. Just keep pushing through if it seems a bit tough the first week because it will get better. A lot of members here had great luck and their pup settled in pretty fast so it's different for everyone.
Back to top Go down
Kelli0713
Teenager
Teenager
Kelli0713

PostSubject: Re: Todays the day!!!!!! I ADDED PICTURES!   Todays the day!!!!!!  I ADDED PICTURES! - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 10:42 pm

KibaHope wrote:
Oh gosh kiba was like Balon. First few nights she sounded like a chimp. But we didn't give in and persevered with the crate. Just keep pushing through if it seems a bit tough the first week because it will get better. A lot of members here had great luck and their pup settled in pretty fast so it's different for everyone.

Thanks! We are hoping for a better night but I don't think it's going to happen. I have her crate in the kitchen, since it is close to the back door and closer to her "bathroom". I put baby gates up to keep her in there when I'm cooking/cleaning, she hates those too. lol!

I did make a little progress, she learns so fast. I opened the crate door when she was ready to potty but I wouldn't let her out. I made her sit (still working on that) and then I put my hand in her face and said stay. Had to to that twice but this last time she stayed seated while i hooked up the lease and waited for me to call her out. I hope it wasn't just a one time thing.

Thanks again for all the advice, I really appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Todays the day!!!!!! I ADDED PICTURES!   Todays the day!!!!!!  I ADDED PICTURES! - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 3:11 am

Something that helped when we first brought Karli was to put a blanket over her kennel. She's in one of the avikennels so she could see much through it, but the 2nd night, as soon as we covered her kennel, she quieted down. I don't know if it made her feel safe or what, but it worked great for us.
Back to top Go down
Kelli0713
Teenager
Teenager
Kelli0713

PostSubject: Re: Todays the day!!!!!! I ADDED PICTURES!   Todays the day!!!!!!  I ADDED PICTURES! - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 9:06 am

cinnamonbits wrote:
Something that helped when we first brought Karli was to put a blanket over her kennel. She's in one of the avikennels so she could see much through it, but the 2nd night, as soon as we covered her kennel, she quieted down. I don't know if it made her feel safe or what, but it worked great for us.

I have a blanket over it, I have tried everything I can think of. Last night was a night from hell. She didn't sleep more than 10 minutes at a time. I thought it would help if I took her to potty and then sat with her in front of the crate until she feel asleep. That didn't work, in fact I think it make it worse. Sad

Question: Everything I have read says take her to potty every 2 hours. So lets say if I take her out to potty at 2am, put her in her crate and she cries/howls for an hour and a half and then goes to sleep. Do I wake her up at 4am and take her out or should I let her sleep and take her out when she wakes up?

I've got to get a grip on this, I'm the only one who can stay up and take care of her at night and I can on;y run on no sleep for so long.
Back to top Go down
Trailtoad1
Teenager
Teenager
Trailtoad1

Male Join date : 2013-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Todays the day!!!!!! I ADDED PICTURES!   Todays the day!!!!!!  I ADDED PICTURES! - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 12:45 pm

Nanook was born Dec 29th like Link. He just started sleeping through the night about 4 days ago.

I wish had had advice for you but I have not had a puppy in nearly 10 years and am learning everything over again myself. I just wanted to wish you luck, I do think it was like a light bulb went off in his head at 9 weeks old. I hope the same for you.
I did home daycare for 7 years and my thought on " never wake a sleeping baby" seems to have worked with Nanook. We do not crate though so that might not work with crate training.
Good Luck
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Todays the day!!!!!! I ADDED PICTURES!   Todays the day!!!!!!  I ADDED PICTURES! - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 12:50 pm

Have you tried putting some type of comrforting toy with her and background sounds around her. I think everyone probably has a different technique. We did the sheet and never woke him up but dozed until he did and he let us know it. I think you might have to take one night of tough love let the pup cry until too tired but only after you know she her water was decreased at night and was thourghly pottied and then just leave her in there for a time being. Hang in there were were on one -two potty trips a night for quite awhile but there was only a couple wild crying jags after the first several days.

Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Todays the day!!!!!! I ADDED PICTURES!   Todays the day!!!!!!  I ADDED PICTURES! - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 1:01 pm

No i wouldnt wake her up every 2 hours. What i did with koda was just let him sleep.. If e woke up and cried i would take him out.. Then right back in his crate..at first it was every hour but now its about once a night. But he knows he goes right back in his house.. I dont even have to telll him house he walks into and waits for me to shut gate.. This is what i did with koda.. No water after 8... And i usually put him to bed about 10:00... And i didnt let him nap anytime after 5 or 6 so he was tired when it was bed time... And he did really well when i did that
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Todays the day!!!!!! I ADDED PICTURES!   Todays the day!!!!!!  I ADDED PICTURES! - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 1:03 pm

Aw, sorry it's been rough. It'll get better! Have you tried giving her a warm bottle of water? I've heard that helps. I did it with Korra, but she ended up being a super sleeper so I don't know if it acutally works.
If it's that bad, I'd just let her sleep until she wakes up. Once she gets older, I'd try to keep her on your schedule, you don't want her to get used to calling the shots of when to be awake at night/when she wants to pee - you don't wanna be sleeping on her time, that's backwards Smile Also, with little girls, you do wanna keep the pee flowing as a preventitive measure against UTIs. Still, please, for yourself, get some sleep!
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Todays the day!!!!!! I ADDED PICTURES!   Todays the day!!!!!!  I ADDED PICTURES! - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 2:10 pm

Ericobeasto wrote:
No i wouldnt wake her up every 2 hours. What i did with koda was just let him sleep.. If e woke up and cried i would take him out.. Then right back in his crate..at first it was every hour but now its about once a night. But he knows he goes right back in his house.. I dont even have to telll him house he walks into and waits for me to shut gate.. This is what i did with koda.. No water after 8... And i usually put him to bed about 10:00... And i didnt let him nap anytime after 5 or 6 so he was tired when it was bed time... And he did really well when i did that

Hi Eric,

How long did it take for Koda to get that comfortable? After a week with Link he sleeps quietly for 6 hours, eats in his crate, gets treats, and goes in on his own to play.

But the problem is with more spontaneous times, as in I need to shower and he goes in, always calmly and I let him walk in, but then he loses his mind once it shuts. As bizarre as this sounds, I know he enjoys his crate and he finds peace in it everyday but he HATES confinement when he isn't sleepy.

(sorry for the slight derail but this will in fact relate to the topic at hand).
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Todays the day!!!!!! I ADDED PICTURES!   Todays the day!!!!!!  I ADDED PICTURES! - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 2:19 pm

when I need a time out for myself...shower etc we use the crate as a happy time here is a extra special treat filled kong so he goes in for awhile while no one watches but we also use the kitchen babay gated off the same way

Kelli0713
Teenager
Teenager
Kelli0713

PostSubject: Re: Todays the day!!!!!! I ADDED PICTURES!   Todays the day!!!!!!  I ADDED PICTURES! - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 2:27 pm

Thank you all! I have tried just about everything, left a night light on, covered the crate, have a radio on, a blanket from her momma, toys and treat toys. She does great during the day, I make her sleep in the crate at all times, thinking that would help at night. She knows that when she starts to sleep in the floor and I say "go to bed" she has to go to her crate. She's sleeping very peaceful in there (with the door shut) right now. Of course, I have no time to sleep because I have a million other things to do. lol!

I'm thinking of leaving the big light on and not just a night light so it's more "day" like to her. Not sure if that will help or not. I told my husband to get the earplugs because I'm letting her scream tonight. It seems like that is what it's going to have to take to break this habit. I just wish it didn't have to be that way, I hate it. It's so sad. Sad Hoping and praying that she will do better in a couple of days. I don't mind the every 2 hour thing, if she's not screaming I'll be able to sleep in between.

Wish me luck!
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Todays the day!!!!!! I ADDED PICTURES!   Todays the day!!!!!!  I ADDED PICTURES! - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 3:57 pm

seattlesibe wrote:
Ericobeasto wrote:

Hi Eric,

How long did it take for Koda to get that comfortable? After a week with Link he sleeps quietly for 6 hours, eats in his crate, gets treats, and goes in on his own to play.

But the problem is with more spontaneous times, as in I need to shower and he goes in, always calmly and I let him walk in, but then he loses his mind once it shuts. As bizarre as this sounds, I know he enjoys his crate and he finds peace in it everyday but he HATES confinement when he isn't sleepy.

(sorry for the slight derail but this will in fact relate to the topic at hand).
This first week koda didn't like going in his crate when it wasn't bed time and he would just whine... You have to just let them go... Along as you know they already went to the bathroom.. Koda still whines now sometimes when I first put him in but not as bad.. For the most part he does good in his crate and bout 75% of the time will go in there himself when i say house...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Todays the day!!!!!! I ADDED PICTURES!   Todays the day!!!!!!  I ADDED PICTURES! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Todays the day!!!!!! I ADDED PICTURES!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next