It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
AuthorMessage
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update - Page 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update   Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update - Page 16 EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 9:23 am

No, not really. There is enough separation from the streets, and he is reliable enough that I feel safe doing it. If I have cheese, and the e collar, his recall is 99%...
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update   Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update - Page 16 EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 9:40 am

wpskier222 wrote:
No, not really. There is enough separation from the streets, and he is reliable enough that I feel safe doing it. If I have cheese, and the e collar, his recall is 99%...

Hehehe: If I have cheese I have....VELCRO DOG!!!
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

Female Join date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update   Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update - Page 16 EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 11:26 am

I'd love to have Layla off-leash in an unfenced area but her prey drive is just too high to risk it. She's very food-motivated but once she gets sight of a small animal (and we have many in our area!) her focus is totally gone and nothing will bring her back until the animal's out of sight. For us an e-collar isn't an option, either, so on the leash she will stay. Good for you, though, with Diz!
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update   Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update - Page 16 EmptySun Jul 27, 2014 10:15 am

So, this is about halfway through our walk this morning. He was pretty tired because he had been chasing his boxer friend, Bella, around, but to see him approach two muppet dogs and not either stalk, pounce, or go bounding up to them was pretty great! He's definitely maturing. Very Happy You can see him start to go into the stalking behavior at the beginning, his head goes down, and then he relaxes and approaches nicely. Yay!!! Yes, he is off-leash as well...

Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update   Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update - Page 16 EmptySun Jul 27, 2014 10:42 am

Also, I just want to make a little disclaimer here... Dizzy is awesome off-leash, and it's a combination of things, partly hard work and training, partly the training tools/methods I used, and a big part his temperament. Not every dog, especially huskies, can be trusted off-leash. Some never can be. My first husky, Tasha, would take off on an adventure when she got off-leash. No matter how much time and effort I put into her training, I never felt safe allowing her off-leash. Dizzy doesn't get the sled head like she did...
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update   Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update - Page 16 EmptySun Jul 27, 2014 2:15 pm

Awesome - I hope I can get Ami to that point (I've initiated the exchange for the SD collar - the mini educator arrives mid-week)

I love how the Diz master holds his tail!
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update   Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update - Page 16 EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 8:40 am

Dizzy has a new buddy, Bella, who is a boxer. They get to play just about every morning and have a blast!

She plays rough just like Diz:

And they love to play chase:

Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update   Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update - Page 16 EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 10:47 am

I envy your off-leash and just how awesome Dizzy is with other dogs. Does he ever just run Bella clean over when they are playing chase though? Kenzi and Keno chase then Kenzi just slams him and sends him rolling. It's quite brutal.

Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update   Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update - Page 16 EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 10:53 am

Yeah, they do that to each other sometimes. Today she tried to body slam him and missed and slammed her side right into a tree, I mean you heard a thawack sound! He is getting better about rolling other dogs over, and usually only does it in the dog park oddly enough, I can usually call him off a chase if I need to when he's off leash just not in the dog park, but with Bella they are really rough with each other and play well together. They run each other down and then some how end up sending the other one rolling. She's one of the few that plays at his level of roughness... He has def met his match with her, I've never seen another dog keep up with him the way she does.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update   Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update - Page 16 EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 11:16 am

Looks like fun for everyone - that's how Ami and Archer play - they go rolling, skidding, hauling each other around by fur, limbs, tail - whatever is handy! Though Archer is a little wary of body-slamming since the time he came at Ami a zillion mph and went...to China via Mars Laughing 
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update   Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update - Page 16 EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 11:26 am

The boxer my cousin has plays really rough too, so I can imagine that they would make great companion breeds. Keno is getting better at dodging her, which only adds fuel to her fire, but he hasn't managed to knock her down yet. She loses her footing in sharp turns and crashes a lot on her own though.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update   Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update - Page 16 EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 11:31 am

TwisterII wrote:
The boxer my cousin has plays really rough too, so I can imagine that they would make great companion breeds. Keno is getting better at dodging her, which only adds fuel to her fire, but he hasn't managed to knock her down yet. She loses her footing in sharp turns and crashes a lot on her own though.

Laughing The losing the footing part cracks me up every time - we get a lot of dew here mornings and evenings and it's hysterical - Archer goes zooming around in very tight turns trying to catch Ami and he goes rolling ass over teakettle - back on his feet and off he goes again. Best anti-depressant on the market!
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update   Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update - Page 16 EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 11:33 am

Ha ha, yeah, Diz does a faceplant/face skid thing that is pretty great. Bella is the only dog I've ever seen roll him since he's fully grown, even the other huskies get annoyed with Diz.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update   Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update - Page 16 EmptyFri Aug 08, 2014 7:19 am

Nothing like a little rock climbing to start the day off right!

Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update   Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update - Page 16 EmptyThu Aug 28, 2014 9:48 am

Dizzy is playing peek-a-boo with me at the office today. He's such a ham!

Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update - Page 16 Dizzy_10
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update   Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update - Page 16 EmptyThu Aug 28, 2014 9:50 am

Aww that is too cute!!

Vetsky
Teenager
Teenager
Vetsky

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update   Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update - Page 16 EmptyThu Aug 28, 2014 11:34 am

That peek-a-boo shot is awesome.

Was that rock climbing video done in an enclosed area? Any off leash issues?

Last edited by Vetsky on Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update   Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update - Page 16 EmptyThu Aug 28, 2014 11:39 am

Dizzy is very good off-leash. I've done a ton of training with him, including using an e-collar. Trust and bonding are number 1, e-collar and really high value treats are number 2. Usually if I can give him a physical problem to solve, like the rock, it keeps him from fixating on something and taking off.
Back to top Go down
Vetsky
Teenager
Teenager
Vetsky

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update   Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update - Page 16 EmptyThu Aug 28, 2014 12:33 pm

wpskier222 wrote:
Dizzy is very good off-leash. I've done a ton of training with him, including using an e-collar. Trust and bonding are number 1, e-collar and really high value treats are number 2. Usually if I can give him a physical problem to solve, like the rock, it keeps him from fixating on something and taking off.

That is great! I hope I can get that level one day with Riley.

I guess hard work pays off in the end.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update   Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update - Page 16 EmptyFri Aug 29, 2014 12:17 pm

Oh yes. The hard work will pay off, especially if you focus on confidence and trust building at this stage.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update   Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update - Page 16 EmptySun Oct 26, 2014 12:53 pm

These are some videos I took yesterday morning on our walk. This is pretty typical for a weekend morning.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update   Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update - Page 16 EmptySun Oct 26, 2014 1:16 pm

Wow, Jen - the off leash is really impressive! I assume he has his educator on? And what a lot of dogs for him to play with! When we go to the dog park, we are lucky if there is 1 other dog - let alone a flotilla!

Totally off subject - when will you be moving to the new apt?
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update   Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update - Page 16 EmptySun Oct 26, 2014 1:43 pm

Still not sure yet, but progress is arduously happening...

Yes, he's wearing the educator. The vibrate has morphed into a non-verbal recall command. I almost never use the shock, only if he starts to bully or chase a little dog and doesn't respond to a verbal recall, but he responds extremely well to his "off" command. It's nice to see him maturing and growing a brain finally.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update   Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update - Page 16 EmptySun Oct 26, 2014 2:05 pm

lol! His brain sounds like Ami - I seriously have no idea why the vibrat works so well. I've been using it to keep Archer off the pool cover and it works like magic!

Glad to hear you're making progress. Would be nice to be in the new digs by Christmas, no?
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update   Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update - Page 16 EmptySun Oct 26, 2014 2:15 pm

Ha ha. It would be nice, but we'll see what happens... We still need to redo the kitchen before we move in and lord knows how long that will take.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update   Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update - Page 16 Empty

Back to top Go down

Dizzy's Scrapbook - Fall Update

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 16 of 19Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next