It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What do you do on Windy Days?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LokiTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
LokiTheHusky

Female Join date : 2013-04-14

What do you do on Windy Days? Empty
PostSubject: What do you do on Windy Days?   What do you do on Windy Days? EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 7:15 pm

What do you do with your huskies on a windy day?? Smile I am looking for ideas here! Wink
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: What do you do on Windy Days?   What do you do on Windy Days? EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 8:11 pm

you go out and walk them.....

Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: What do you do on Windy Days?   What do you do on Windy Days? EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 8:26 pm

I walk mine.. We walk them in 100' degree temps 30 and below temps the only time we don't walk ours is when it is pour down rain on some of those days I schedule them a play date a doggie day camp.

On windy days here I walk them in the warmer weather it helps deal with the heat.
Back to top Go down
LokiTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
LokiTheHusky

PostSubject: Re: What do you do on Windy Days?   What do you do on Windy Days? EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 8:42 pm

Ugh no, I do not do walks on windy days. xD If there is anything that puts me in a bad mood it'd be being out in the wind. He has a big enough dog run that walks are not needed, I am just looking for something to do. :p He does not play fetch and it is war getting him to play tug of war.
Back to top Go down
Clm
Teenager
Teenager
Clm

Male Join date : 2012-11-22

PostSubject: Re: What do you do on Windy Days?   What do you do on Windy Days? EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 8:50 pm

i just walk him... i take blu for walks rain or shine, i'd rather walk him in crap weather for 20 minuets then have him eat the couch lol.

have you tried letting him play in the bath tub on windy days? blu enojys it... he gets his feet wet and gets to splash around for a little bit. seems to work just aswell (although having to spend 2 hours drying him after words kinda sucks.)
Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Female Join date : 2013-03-18

PostSubject: Re: What do you do on Windy Days?   What do you do on Windy Days? EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 8:56 pm

The other day we had a hail storm, high winds, thunder, lighting ... and a just freshly cleaned carpet that was still wet Evil or Very Mad everything was going against me. But I got on all 4's and just played with her. Chased her around the house, got her to chase me. even wrestled a little bit (I don't suggest if you have a puppy, that was an epic fail lol) She hates playing catch but loves this honeycomb ball I have and i rolled it on the ground and she played with that as if she was a cat. I did the same lol
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: What do you do on Windy Days?   What do you do on Windy Days? EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 8:57 pm

Heavy wind actually gives me a headache and I still walk them if it's windy. The only time I don't walk them is if it's pouring rain. I've even walked them with a fever..lol.

On nasty rainy days I run around the house like a mad women and have them chase me. Then I throw myself on the ground and wrestle with them. They love it when mom acts psycho..lol
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: What do you do on Windy Days?   What do you do on Windy Days? EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 9:01 pm

Do you not have a windbreaker with a hood? The cool wind always hurt my ears, but wearing a windbreaker with a hood helped enormously.
Back to top Go down
ChillyBeach
Teenager
Teenager
ChillyBeach

Male Join date : 2013-04-28

PostSubject: Re: What do you do on Windy Days?   What do you do on Windy Days? EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 10:35 pm

Harry chases leaves in the back yard. If its windy but warm I hit up the dog park to see how far I can get the chuckit to throw a tennis ball down wind. That said, most evenings we just bundle up and go for a walk.

Although now that I'm thinking about it, I wonder if i can find a drag parachute and have him run against the wind with it. Give him a little something to drag behind him other than my wheezing arse. Might be my next windy day project. Cool
Back to top Go down
Papabear
Puppy
Puppy
Papabear

Male Join date : 2013-03-09

PostSubject: Re: What do you do on Windy Days?   What do you do on Windy Days? EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 11:40 pm

Hide treats around the yard and see if he can pick them out through the wind.
Back to top Go down
LokiTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
LokiTheHusky

PostSubject: Re: What do you do on Windy Days?   What do you do on Windy Days? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 12:12 am

ChillyBeach wrote:

Although now that I'm thinking about it, I wonder if i can find a drag parachute and have him run against the wind with it. Give him a little something to drag behind him other than my wheezing arse. Might be my next windy day project. Cool

lol! I am sure my horses would just LOVE the site of a K9 running towards them with a parachute behind him. Laughing

--
I play chase and wrestle with him all the time. He also has a blue teddy bear that I attack him with. Very Happy It gets him excited. It is his most favorite thing in the world, he has to sleep with his head on it at night.

The tub idea is a new one that I will have to try! Where I live we get winds that are considered a tropical hurricane to those by the coast. Last year winds were recorded over 100 at one point! I also have Neurocardiogenic Syncope(vasovagal syncope) and some other health problems, I have found one of my triggers for getting Dizzy/Light headed/Loosing my vision/Trying not to faint is when I get really aggravated, and since wind is one of those things that pushes me to that point I try to stay out of it. I really do not want to randomly pass out on a walk and loose my pup. :p (Or be un-conscious in the middle of no where, But really, My pup!)

And no, I do not have a wind breaker, I had one when I was little and it did me no good. I may try getting one again, Though. Smile
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: What do you do on Windy Days?   What do you do on Windy Days? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 11:08 am

Well if its health issues keeping u from walking in the wind then the other suggestions given are good. Mental games inside work just as well as walks. Try teaching some new tricks get some mental games for him to play, ones that hide treats and such.
For the most part you will learn that most of us suck it up on bad weather days and get our pups out, thankfully here in colorado we don't have many bad days and I love the winter, its the heat that gets me!

Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: What do you do on Windy Days?   What do you do on Windy Days? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 11:49 am

I live in the south west (NM) and I know how ugly the winds can get over here lol. Although, I still walk just not as long and I tend to do a lot more mental games inside as other people have suggested.
Back to top Go down
Wy Renegade
Puppy
Puppy
Wy Renegade

PostSubject: Re: What do you do on Windy Days?   What do you do on Windy Days? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 1:20 pm

LOL, you might want to consider moving out of the Casper area, is there ever a day the wind doesn't blow there? All kidding aside, mental games are a great option, just keep in mind that the longer your pup is confined, the more stir crazy it will get.
Back to top Go down
dreamraiderr
Newborn
Newborn
dreamraiderr

Female Join date : 2013-04-06

PostSubject: Re: What do you do on Windy Days?   What do you do on Windy Days? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 4:13 pm

I read online somewhere a "muffin pan game" where you have a muffin pan with a tennis ball in each hole. you hide kibble or whatever under each ball to start with and they have to remove the balls to get the food.. then you put it under some, then less each round untill its only under one and they have to work out where it is.
Also- I read stairs are great if you can do something to get them to run up and down them! lol
Back to top Go down
LokiTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
LokiTheHusky

PostSubject: Re: What do you do on Windy Days?   What do you do on Windy Days? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 5:12 pm

Wy Renegade wrote:
LOL, you might want to consider moving out of the Casper area, is there ever a day the wind doesn't blow there? All kidding aside, mental games are a great option, just keep in mind that the longer your pup is confined, the more stir crazy it will get.

LOL oh gosh I know! I am dead lining for Sheridan first chance I get. lol!
He is never really confined so I never have that issue. When he is in the dog yard he is running laps around it yelling at the horses when they are playing, or racing up and down one side watching me go through the house jumping up on his 4 foot up dog house and down, and up, and down. xD
He also plays with the other 2 dogs that go in with him. Smile

Quote :
I read online somewhere a "muffin pan game" where you have a muffin pan with a tennis ball in each hole. you hide kibble or whatever under each ball to start with and they have to remove the balls to get the food.. then you put it under some, then less each round untill its only under one and they have to work out where it is.

That is a great idea, Thank you!! I will have to try that. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Huskydad
Teenager
Teenager
Huskydad

PostSubject: Re: What do you do on Windy Days?   What do you do on Windy Days? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 7:42 pm

Wind is no big deal, I'll still walk them. Only thunderstorms, very heavy rain, or temps above 85F with high humidity will stop me.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: What do you do on Windy Days?   What do you do on Windy Days? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 7:49 pm

The only time I don't walk my girls are when it's lightening outside, raining do hard THEY don't want to walk, or when it's too hot to walk them. I even walk them when I'm sick. To me it's one of those things you have do regardless of you want to or not.

The girls can miss maybe one walk a day; more then that and they go nuts.

Whoops! Sent that before I was done!

If its one of those days we can't walk, I wrestle and play training games too. One of the girls' favorite is "find it". Well actually that's more of a Sheba game. Kennedy doesn't really get that she's supposed to look for the treat LOL! I will make them sit and wait and I will go around the house and hide treats. After I'm done, I yell FIND IT! And off they go! Sheba to find the treats and Kennedy to chase her lol. With Kennedy, I work on her leave it. I can get 10 treats up her legs now bahaha. I have started to work on them not charging the door when someone comes home. Kennedy is pretty good about that, but Sheba would climb up your body like a kitten if it was possible. Those are the days when we hit training hard.

They also get tons of wrestle and cuddle time though, so I'm sure they don't mind it that much Wink.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you do on Windy Days?   What do you do on Windy Days? Empty

Back to top Go down

What do you do on Windy Days?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1