It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Neuter size effects?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
vegeta819
Teenager
Teenager
vegeta819

Male Join date : 2013-01-31

neuter - Neuter size effects? Empty
PostSubject: Neuter size effects?   neuter - Neuter size effects? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 10:05 am

So Vegeta is getting neutered this Thursday and in one of my typical worried father moments I started to do a lot of research on it. From everything I've read and what people have said it's not so bad for the guys, it's a little more of a hassle with the gals. There were a few things I cam across that I was curious about and wanted you guys' opinions.

1) I came across an article that said neutered males (and maybe females as well?) tend to grow taller than non-neutered males. Something regarding their growth plate closing later than usual. Is this true?

2) I've also seen that they should be fed less since they have a lower metabolism?

3) Will neutering really effect his muscular growth? He won't be anything other than my best friend so I'm not worried about him being some brute of a dog, but I don't want him to not grow to full potential because I took the family jewels.

Thanks for any input! Also in your experiences how needed has the E-Collar been? I'm debating getting one but a couple of people I've talked to said their dogs never even tried for area.
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Neuter size effects?   neuter - Neuter size effects? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 10:55 am

With the E collar, it all depends on the individual dog. Lucian had a tendency to try and lick his incision. I would only put the collar on at night when he wasn't being supervised. I watched him during the day and promptly told him no if I seen him going to lick. He listened pretty well. I think he knew he'd get the cone if he didn't, lol.
The vet did tell me to cut down his food after the neuter, but I didn't. I figured if I noticed him getting chunky, I'd cut his food down. But he's still fit and trim now, and his neuter was about 4 months ago. It hasn't seemed to affect his growth at all either. He's 50lbs at nearly 10 months old. His growth has slowed, but I don't think that is from the neuter. It's just him tapering off. Good thing, or he'd be a monster puppy right now, lol.
Back to top Go down
laura56083
Teenager
Teenager
laura56083

Female Join date : 2013-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Neuter size effects?   neuter - Neuter size effects? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 1:05 pm

Selena just got spayed 4 days ago and so far has been wonderful (bouncing off the walls already, ughlol)! She has not needed an E collar what so ever. My dogs in the past have needed them though so I can say it depends on the dog. Her vet did say to cut her food by 30% after surgery. I too and am not going to cut her back because one she doesn't even eat the recommended amount now and she is super super active so I guess that is personal preference. Good luck!!! I was a super freaked out mommy that called to check on her every couple hours lolol Smile
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Neuter size effects?   neuter - Neuter size effects? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 1:37 pm

It's a constant debate and you are going to find people on both sides. Hover, it really can affect growth plates on dogs, but in research it its less of a problem in medium sized breeds than large breeds.

It can affect muscles I can't go into depth right now because I can find any if my studies but when I do I will share.

I would wait. I neutered Cato at almost 10 months old ( I thought it was 8 but his paper work says otherwise ha). And he has been great.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Neuter size effects?   neuter - Neuter size effects? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 1:46 pm

I also tried to hold off a little bit, I spayed Yuki at 8 months just before her first heat and neutered Cloud at 8 months as well. Yuki is a very petite little thing approaching 10 months and still 36 pounds I believe, Cloud only gained 3 pounds after his neuter. Link was 46 pounds at 15 months old, and wasn't neutered when I got him. So I don't think it affects them to much unless its REALLY early like 3 or 4 months.
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Neuter size effects?   neuter - Neuter size effects? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 2:14 pm

I know you're asking about a neuter, but I thought I'd give my experience with Pippa anyway. She was spayed a few days before I adopted her when she was 6 months and she weighed right around 30lbs at the time. Now she's almost a year and a half and hovers around 43 lbs. She's really filled out a lot.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Neuter size effects?   neuter - Neuter size effects? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 7:04 pm

I also would wait, but that is my personal preference. I will always wait to speuter my pets until after maturity or as long as a contract from a breeder will allow me to. The Standard Poodle breeder I am probably getting my next one from let's us wait until 8 months of age on boys, but only 6 months on girls. I don't really like that, so I am still searching for breeders. I got a little off topic, sorry!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Neuter size effects?   neuter - Neuter size effects? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 9:44 pm

I had Balon neutered at 6 months and he did just fine. He is about 60 lbs (he goes to vet tomorrow so I will know for sure then). He is taller then some huskies but I have seen taller. He is very healthy! I don't regret doing it when I did. I plan on having Loki's done when is is 6 months as well.

I agree with Megan that there is a constant debate on when to spay/neuter and I have read many papers on the topic including those from medical journals. Even the experts don't agree lol.

I would do what feels comfortable and right for your situation. My new little guy Loki seems to be very Alpha so he will be done at 6 months just to calm all that testosterone down lol.

Regarding an Ecollar I would get one, they aren't expensive and better safe then sorry. My female lab didn't touch her spay stitches at all, so when she needed surgery on her knee I didn't bother to get one. Fast forward to day 4 of recovery and I was driving back to the vet with her to have her knee restitched and to get an e collar. Yep the little bugger chewed out half her stitches!

Whatever you decide good luck and know you are doing a good thing by neutering him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Neuter size effects?   neuter - Neuter size effects? Empty

Back to top Go down

Neuter size effects?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1