It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

I called animal control today

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

I called animal control today Empty
PostSubject: I called animal control today   I called animal control today EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 3:15 pm

I have reached my boiling point on lose dogs attacking my leased huskies. my neighborhood better be prepared for many calls to animal control as i will not tolerate any lose dogs running around supervised or not.
it was about 5:15pm on sat aug. 21 and we were walking Sierra and Jack for the night. this is our normal loop around the block, i have become very aware of our surrounding (walking huskies you need to be on your A game) and i notice as we were walking that a block ahead of us there were 2 people sitting out front with their German shepherd. we know this dog as every time we pass the house it comes barking at us from behind the fence. i give ken the heads up about the dog. we are across the street about ready to cross the street and pass the side corner of the house i stop and give them the heal command because i was not sure about the dog and if it was leased or not before we crossed. the dog looks up and bolts right for us! i had sierra and pulled her right next to me (she was all ready close as i was not sure ahead of time) the dog went for Jack first teeth exposed and Ken got him off jack and then it came for us he got sierra on her back side as i was trying to keep him from her and i got a good kick in on the dog who then went back for jack. i had looked over to the owner a few times and the guy is just walking over to us! no run or nothing as our dogs were being attacked. he finally got the dog and crossed the street and put the dog in the house. i yelled at them and told them they should have their dog leased and the response was he never does that! WTF!!! never asked how our dogs were as we checked them over all the wet spots on their body and there were not wounds. Sierra was limping some but seemed fine the next day. we crossed the street and the guy started to walk towards us, im not sure if he was going to say anything or not but but i yelled some things and told him i was calling animal control on him. i drove by sun night to get the house address and they were siting out side again with the dog, im not sure if they leashed him this time or not but i was so made. i got the address this morning and called it in and some one will be at their home to warn them. they will also be asked to see the dog is registered and to make sure he has his shots and if not will be fined. i could have issued a ticket but if they fought it i would have to go to court over it, i did not want to deal with that but if this happens again i will be pressing charges! no more misses nice lady. i hope none of you ever have to deal with such a thing. but after 3-4 attacks i am done being nice, i wounder if there is a taser i can get to use on dogs?

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: I called animal control today   I called animal control today EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 3:36 pm

Ugh Sad We don't walk our two enough for this. Amy was helping me leash train/walk my babies once a week, but since Boo died, our schedule has been off. I'm hoping we get into it more soon.

On the one walk we had, she had her two basenjis and I had Koda on one arm and Hailey on the other (they both had chokes on in the right spot so it actually wasn't TOO much of an arm workout. It just sounded like I abuse my dogs... dumb things). These two younger guys (probably college age) were playing with remote control race cars in the road and seriously would NOT get the hint that it was driving the dogs insane. They just laughed as they watched me get my arms pulled out of their sockets. Honestly? Some people have no class.

I called animal control today Hailey10
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: I called animal control today   I called animal control today EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 3:55 pm

This kind of thing confuses me honestly. I have never had a loose dog of any size try that shit and get near my dogs. First there's me, then there's Coco. We have loose aggressive dogs coming at us at least once every two weeks. My honest opinion is you must have "the look" and mean it. When a dog like that comes after us, my mind only has one thought as I stare intently into the oncoming dog's eyes... "I will kill you if I have to." Then I use leverage to swing my dogs around behind me and I confront the aggressor. I don't talk about our incidents because I don't believe that most people can instantly grab that frame of mind. But I have severely injured other dogs and I will continue to severely deal with any threat to my property or self. I can't speak for the City/County of Denver, out here we have more legal recourse in those situations.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: I called animal control today   I called animal control today EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 4:06 pm

Eddy i really don't know how you do it, but you are much bigger and scarier looking (when you need to be) then me. i was trying to get in front of/ between us and every time i moved he still found a hole, i had Sierra right up on me, i did not see what ken was doing as i was dealing with sierra and the dog when it was on us. i have no fear of hurting the attacking dog and my legs were swing most of the time to try and nail him (better then using my all ready busted arm). funny that the owner did not move any faster knowing i was trying to hurt his dog. i really feel i need to start carrying something with me.

Puppy
Puppy
sw33t_angel

Female Join date : 2010-07-29

PostSubject: Re: I called animal control today   I called animal control today EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 4:46 pm

This issue has irritated me for for too long as well. I have fallen out of walking Sora consistently and daily because at least 3 out of the 7 times I walk her, I encounter a dog that is not leashed, with owners that can care less. People just think they are above the law, and don't have to leash their dogs.

Every time I walk with my dog leashed, there is always a dog walking unleashed, that comes charging at me. The owners usually casually walk up to me, and say, " oh they weren't hurt you, it's ok, they are friendly". Meanwhile Sora is going bonkers and I am trying to control my dog while a dog circles her every move.

I had a little dog charge full force at Sora, teeth bared, and barking and the guy is sitting on his golf cart, calling the dog back, with no response from the dog, and he just drives off convinced the dog would follow him, after several minutes I was about to ask him to get his fat butt off his golf cart and physically come get his dog,

It is so frustrating to follow the law and do your part to protect your animal and then other people are so negligent.
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

Female Join date : 2009-11-06

PostSubject: Re: I called animal control today   I called animal control today EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 8:08 pm

This is a story I know well. When we first got Nanuk, three times three different dogs came charging at us. The last was the last straw, and I also called animal control. This was just in our neighborhood! Then, there was a guy with his dog at the local Izaak Walton League. His dog was off leash. I had a stick in my hand and this dog came charging at us. The guy calls his dog, who ignores him. Then this guy tells me I really don't need that stick, his dog is fine! Yeah, right. If the dog had come any closer, I'da whacked him good! He gets the dog into the truck, but forgets the windows were open! So, once again, dog comes charging us.

I HATE the fact that there are so many who think their dog is just wanting to play. Mine do not know that, and go on the defensive immediately. It altered Nanuk's attitude while on leash, I tell you. But, like Eddy, I have lately begun just giving them a no-nonsense stare and tell the charging dog "Go Home!". It seems to work. (Fingers crossed, it continues to work!)

I know I think my dogs are perfect (most owners do), but I remain objective and know that I do not know what they are always capable of and keep them leashed or have them in the backyard. I don't understand why others can not do the same and just keep them leashed!

I am always torn, tho, as I hate to hurt an animal, (it's not their fault their owners are dumb) would rather it be the stupid owner, but will continue to defend me & mine against the loose dogs. For awhile, I carried pepper spray. Fits in the hand nicely, and think it won't cause permanant damage to a dog. ( I hope!) Someone told me vinegar water in a spray bottle works, too.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: I called animal control today   I called animal control today EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 9:42 pm

Last edited by Here4thePics on Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TrippleX
Newborn
Newborn
TrippleX

Male Join date : 2010-08-08

PostSubject: Re: I called animal control today   I called animal control today EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 11:04 pm

Im not for hurting an animal. But if myself or my dog is in danger from another dog. Like in your situation, I have no problem lending my foot for a quick swift kick to the dogs head, Then another kick to the owners head. Its no different then your 3 year old running across the street by their selves,
Back to top Go down
YurixLeah
Newborn
Newborn
YurixLeah

Female Join date : 2010-08-13

PostSubject: Re: I called animal control today   I called animal control today EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 7:18 am

A friend of mine got bitten by a pug while trying to protect her dog before. I am very seriously considering carrying pepper spray because if any irresponsible dog owner let their dog come to attack mine they would get a spray not only in their dogs face, but theirs if they tried to hurt me for it.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: I called animal control today   I called animal control today EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 12:30 pm

i did some reading up on it yesterday and some of the stuff they suggest for when a dog attack while walking your own dogs sounded stupid. i did read pepper spray as a suggestion but they also cautioned that your dogs might get the spray on them as well and im not sure i want that. might look up that cattle prod. AC was to go give them a warning and i could have fined them but if they fought it i would have to go to court and i did not what to have to do that just yet.

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: I called animal control today   I called animal control today EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 12:45 pm

jbealer wrote:
i did some reading up on it yesterday and some of the stuff they suggest for when a dog attack while walking your own dogs sounded stupid. i did read pepper spray as a suggestion but they also cautioned that your dogs might get the spray on them as well and im not sure i want that. might look up that cattle prod. AC was to go give them a warning and i could have fined them but if they fought it i would have to go to court and i did not what to have to do that just yet.
Not sure if cattle prods can change settings, but you don't want to get a ticket for cruelty to animals or something. If you can't tone down the setting, I would absolutely see someone trying to nab you for using unnecessary force on their animal.

I called animal control today Hailey10
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: I called animal control today   I called animal control today EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 12:53 pm

And I will reiterate the City/County of Denver thing. I know some areas have strict policy about using things to defend yourself, even pepper spray. Denver is one of those progressive cities that have different rules than the rest of the state.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I called animal control today   I called animal control today Empty

Back to top Go down

I called animal control today

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1