It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Do you think I could be able to offer this dog what he needs?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
AvaJade
Newborn
Newborn

Do you think I could be able to offer this dog what he needs? Empty
PostSubject: Do you think I could be able to offer this dog what he needs?   Do you think I could be able to offer this dog what he needs? EmptyFri Jun 28, 2013 12:25 pm

I did my research but I still need opinions from somebody with experience and I'm asking you because you're familiar with dogs like this one and actually know what you're talking about :)I've been searching quite some time for a dog companion and I think I've found the one :)I'm 21 and in University, I have plenty of time and I can offer a dog my love, food & treats, a spot on my bed and 2-hour daily walks, training, going to dog parks etc. (the same for when i finish uni).

So this is the 2-year-old husky/malamute mix i've found on a webpage of a local shelter and he stole my heart away :)his previous owner couldn't take care of him anymore (i guess they rushed into getting a dog)

Do you think I could be able to offer this dog what he needs? Untitled-1

So basically will 2 hours a day (walking, and when the summer's over and it's not as warm i could take him jogging) + two 30-minute walks in the morning&evening be enough? He would be by my side all the time, the only time he would be alone is in the time of my classes (I have them from October to mid-May about 3x/week, 5 hours per day, the rest of the year I'm off). It worries me, because I live in an apartment (with flatmates, but i'm the owner) and I don't want him to be unhappy if this would be too small for him? Also, is it possible for him to get genuinely use to me, since he's 2 years old?

Thank you so much for your help Smile
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Do you think I could be able to offer this dog what he needs?   Do you think I could be able to offer this dog what he needs? EmptyFri Jun 28, 2013 12:35 pm

As long as you have considered what your plans on after your schooling is over (do you plan on moving far away or anything like that?) and are financially stable I think you sound very prepared. That is a lot of exercise so I also wouldn't stress if you can't do that much every day. As long as everyone that you live in are on the same page about this dog, then living in an apartment isn't a problem as I do too. I actually LOVED having my dogs when I was in college because I was able to spend more time with them, then I can now that I have graduated. So now would be a good time because you can give him more love and attention then you can when school is over. Just remember dogs are full time commitments, and get ready to give up A LOT of your free time, as they really tie you down.
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Do you think I could be able to offer this dog what he needs?   Do you think I could be able to offer this dog what he needs? EmptyFri Jun 28, 2013 12:38 pm

Also yes he will get use to you. It will take him sometime for you guys to build that bond so be patient, but as long as you love, feed him, walk him, and he knows he can count on you, he will genuinely start to love you.
Back to top Go down
Kellyb
Canadian Sunrise
Kellyb

Female Join date : 2012-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Do you think I could be able to offer this dog what he needs?   Do you think I could be able to offer this dog what he needs? EmptyFri Jun 28, 2013 12:40 pm

We adopted a 5 year old and her getting attached to us was no problem at all. Keep in mind it will take a few months for him to really come out of his shell and show his true nature. Ours was about 2 months before we accepted her personality had come out completely and we agreed to keep her (we were fostering her). It could be a rough transition, patience and consistency is key here.

Plenty of our members live in apartments, as long as you are willing and able to give him the proper exercise to me this is a non-issue.
I would just recommend you consider the costs of vet bills, food etc. I know when I was in university I wouldnt have been able to do it, but if you can, then I dont see any reason why not.
He's very cute Smile
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Do you think I could be able to offer this dog what he needs?   Do you think I could be able to offer this dog what he needs? EmptyFri Jun 28, 2013 12:46 pm

Dogs can be expensive too though. With all this free time you have, do you have a income? Or is your family helping you? Between, vet vists, shots, food, toys, treats? It adds up. To me it sounds like you can put the love in care into him. If you know you can affors it then go for it!
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Do you think I could be able to offer this dog what he needs?   Do you think I could be able to offer this dog what he needs? EmptyFri Jun 28, 2013 12:55 pm

I completly spoil my pup but ill give u a idea of how much i spend a month on him. Im sure a lot of people spend a lot less but just to give you idea..
Food every month= about $60
Pawalla box each month= $30
Groomed about once a month maybe little longer = $30
Bully stix each month= $20
And pet store trip = $20 ish
Heartworm and flee = $30ish
This is all mostly optional treats and toys i pay for each month. The bully sticks and treats are important to me to keep him out of trouble since he is just a puppy.

I didnt include any ver vists since i had him for the past 6 months.. To give a idea of that ill share the prices of my vet vists.

Puppy shots # 1 = $100
Puppy shots # 2= $60
Rabies shot = $40
Stomach problems (vomiting and runs) = $250
Neuter = $300
Skin scrape = $60

This was all in just 5 months. Most likly since your adopting you wont have to pay for any of that this year
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Do you think I could be able to offer this dog what he needs?   Do you think I could be able to offer this dog what he needs? EmptyFri Jun 28, 2013 1:12 pm

looks like you have the time for the pup and thank you for looking into adopting! my question would be if you can afford the daily, weekly, monthly, yearly up keep of the dog. we have had good luck with health on our 2 since adopting them 4yrs ago but just this month of june our girl has cost us over $1000 in medical bills. we have good credit and charged it but its those things you never think about and it happens. we adopted our 2 at 6 and 1 and the bond they have both formed with us is as if we raised them as pups, i would never shy away from adopting an older active dog again.

Teenager
Teenager
ateam043

Male Join date : 2013-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Do you think I could be able to offer this dog what he needs?   Do you think I could be able to offer this dog what he needs? EmptyFri Jun 28, 2013 1:15 pm

Let me give you some of my monthly costs:

Food: $35 (Nature’s Domain – Costco Brand)
Vet: $40-$45 (I have a Banfield plan, and it’s $500+ for the year and came with spay, heartworm, etc)
Flee: $10 (Costco for the win, 6 month supply comes out to $10 give or take)
Grooming: $0 (Initial Cost more like $300-$350, I have a High Velocity Dryer, Nail Clippers, Rakes, etc….will save me $ in the long run)

Treats

Anywhere from $0-40 (Besides training treats and femur bones stuffed with PB, she (meeka) avoids everything else, and rather destroy the sides of my palm tree and uses the leaf as a chewing toy)

Luckily, no emergency vet visits, but I do have a fund account where I save if anything comes up, separate from my savings account. This will vary for everyone.

As Eric mentioned, you should be covered on most shot costs as you will be adopting. Generally shelter dogs are already fixed and up to date on shots.
Back to top Go down
AvaJade
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Do you think I could be able to offer this dog what he needs?   Do you think I could be able to offer this dog what he needs? EmptyFri Jun 28, 2013 2:02 pm

Thanks everyone for the all the info!Smile  i'm more confident about giving him a home now, knowing i wouldn't be making a disastrous mistake resulting in him being miserable Smile
as far as my plan goes, i do not plan on moving, i live in the capital in the centre of the city and it has it's perks - everything is close (vet), there are dog parks and 15minutes away in different directions are spacious regular parks and meadows and there's also a castle for some uphill action Smile

Do you think I could be able to offer this dog what he needs? Untitled-2

Financially I don't think there would be a problem, my parents give me the rent from the apartment monthly and I own a credit card. I'm not a "richie rich", but I think I'm financially stable enough to provide for him :)and spending extra money for a pet was always a joy to me, I like seeing them happy ( and a little spoiled :p )
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Do you think I could be able to offer this dog what he needs?   Do you think I could be able to offer this dog what he needs? EmptyFri Jun 28, 2013 2:08 pm

I second what the others say. Smile I'm in NYC in a studio apartment and I think you would be fine. We live 5 min from Riverside park at 10 from Central Park, so Dizzy and I spend a lot of time there. Don't worry about him bonding to you. It may take a while, but he will, and it will be deep when he does. Smile Good luck! I hope it works out and I hope you stick around and share pix and how he's doing with you.
Back to top Go down
AvaJade
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Do you think I could be able to offer this dog what he needs?   Do you think I could be able to offer this dog what he needs? EmptyFri Jun 28, 2013 6:23 pm

That sounds great, she must have a lot of fun:)) And yes, hopefully we'll hit it off when I go see him next week:3 paws crossed! Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you think I could be able to offer this dog what he needs?   Do you think I could be able to offer this dog what he needs? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do you think I could be able to offer this dog what he needs?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1