It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Rok straps leash

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lynn.Karpati
Puppy
Puppy
Lynn.Karpati

Female Join date : 2013-06-25

Rok straps leash Empty
PostSubject: Rok straps leash   Rok straps leash EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 10:49 pm

I looked to see if anyone had mentioned this leash on here and I haven't seen anything (unless I missed it). I just wanted to say that I have had my Rok strap leash for Pongo since he was a puppy and it has lasted for 4 years so far! We bought this leash knowing that a husky is really strong and we needed something that would hold up. I also liked the fact that it has a traffic leash part so you can grab your dog closer if you need to avoid people or other dogs. The best thing about this leash would be the shock resistance though! It has some stretchability in it but not too much that it lengthens the leash too much. Basically it will snap back right away and if you pull hard enough, you can get your dog to come closer. It has proved to be great on hikes especially for this reason because Pongo tries to chase after squirrels but I can hold onto him without slipping because of the spring. They come in different sizes but I believe we have the large or medium one I'm not sure. It's a shame though as it seems they are not producing them fast enough! Out of stock on Amazon but a local store Moochie and Co. still sells them.

Here's the link to it on amazon. This is the exact color we have http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00849C2G4/ref=s9_simh_gw_p199_d0_i4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=02WB02MVKN1GKBVPBNQR&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

Here's a couple pics of Pongo using it. Too bad I don't have one of him almost pulling me down a hill Laughing 
Rok straps leash 803601C4-D530-49A4-B0F8-DC1A95686E03

Here you can see that it is stretched but it can't go too far
Rok straps leash IMG_0244

Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

Rok straps leash Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rok straps leash   Rok straps leash EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 12:07 am

One of the all natural pet stores I frequent started carrying these and they have caught my attention every time I go in!

I have a nylon leash that has has a traffic lead and I love it! One of the reasons I love it is because I can wrap it around my hands and it is wide enough it doesn't cut into my hand unlike my Kong lead.

Can you wrap this leash around your hand comfortably??
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Lynn.Karpati
Puppy
Puppy
Lynn.Karpati

Female Join date : 2013-06-25

Rok straps leash Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rok straps leash   Rok straps leash EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 12:54 am

Both the handle and the traffic lead feel cushioned due to the nylon wrapping around the thick leash itself. I can wrap the leash itself around my hand, but I feel there is no need to with the traffic lead being perfect for control Very Happy It never feels like it cuts into your hand even when the dog is pulling at its max length.
Back to top Go down
histi
Teenager
Teenager
histi

Female Join date : 2013-12-10

Rok straps leash Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rok straps leash   Rok straps leash EmptyTue Dec 17, 2013 7:58 pm

I use a Rok Strap for my dogs too. They are absolutely marvelous and I wouldnt use anything else for general walking. Smile
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Rok straps leash Empty
PostSubject: A gift...   Rok straps leash EmptyMon Dec 23, 2013 2:40 pm

A friend gave me on of these a few wees ago - we adopted a year old male sibe - a very strong boy at 60 pounds, a shelter dog with little training - he was neglected and tied to short chain with a huge malamute before we got him. Suffice it say - once out here in the country with all sorts of deer, mice, voles, rabbits etc, he was in dog heaven and wanted to chase everything he saw - I am a 62 year old, 5'3" woman with arthritis and getting back into shape. The beastie-boy has (had?) a habit of charging along, sensing a vole in the grass on the OTHER side of big ditches and going for it. Leaving me doing a face-plant on the opposite band. She thought this might help - does some, at least me shoulder is still intact.

I like the bungie part, my leash is only 54" which I find a little short. The handle is very thickly padded and not comfortable for me secure around my wrist like a ski pole strap - which I do to prevent accidentally losing him. The handle also digs into my wrist if I just loop it over my hand. What has actually worked for me is using the snap shackle on the nylon web leash and hooking it to the metal ring just below the handle, wrapping a few loops of the leash through the handle. I keep the web leash wrapped around my hand, loosely hold the roc leash in my other hand - then, when Mr. Pogo Stick goes for the voles, I just let go of the roc, have him firmly in hand with the web leash and I stand firmly on the road instead of dumped in the ditch. So, I would buy this, would probably add a leash extender, wish they would do something about the handle.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

Rok straps leash Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rok straps leash   Rok straps leash EmptyMon Dec 23, 2013 2:48 pm

My brother has this leash and loves it for his lab.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

Rok straps leash Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rok straps leash   Rok straps leash EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 10:58 am

I have a question about this leash, how safe is it, and how far is the stretch? Say your pup bolts after a squirrel or something across the street, is it possible that the pup might be in danger from the stretch?
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Rok straps leash Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rok straps leash   Rok straps leash EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 12:16 pm

I have a 54" leash - I would say the stretch goes to, at best 6 ft. My 2 complaints about this leash are that the handle is thick and cumbersome, does not wrap comfortably around my wrist like a web leash (as you do with a ski pole strap) and the leash was too short to allow Ami to sniff out the ditches without me joining him in the ditch (the first time I used this leash, I did a spectacular face-plant on the opposite bank of the ditch Mad ). That being said, attaching my web leash to the D-ring just below the handle gave me the best of both worlds. (see my previous response on this leash for details). This leash will save your shoulder when dog decides to go "pogo stick", will soften the shock on his neck and surprisingly, I found after a few days of using this leash, he no longer pulls so horrendously (I do have to use a prong collar - but before the addition of this leash he would charge ahead unrelenting, now he walks briskly but with loose leash - guess he knows when he wants to ditch it, he has the room to do so.)
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

Rok straps leash Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rok straps leash   Rok straps leash EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 12:52 pm

Okay, so I went ahead and got one, and have to say I love it, although Amy is right, it's a bit too short. I actually like the handle because it's big enough to use comfortably with a glove on, but I think that is going to vary from person to person and season to season. I used Amy's idea of attaching a regular leash to the D-ring by the handle and it's great. The shock absorption is awesome. Diz took off chasing an off-leash dog last night and it totally helped. Shoulder saver is a great way to describe it. I also noticed that he doesn't really attempt to pull with it on anymore. The downside, I would say is that it's very heavy and I feel like I'm accidently giving corrections without meaning to, just because of the weight of the leash itself.

In terms of my earlier question about the safety of it, it's almost the opposite of what I was expecting. If he bolts, it will kind of sling shot him back to me with a flick of my wrist. Once it knocked me on my butt because i wasn't expecting it to work quite like that and he came back toward me running full speed. It kind of re-directed him, but didn't slow him down much, now that I'm getting used to it, I can use it to slow him down.

Also, the colors are much brighter than they look online. I got the green and black one, and it looks like a pretty grass green online, but its more of a florescent nuclear waste green. All in all though, I really like it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rok straps leash Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rok straps leash   Rok straps leash Empty

Back to top Go down

Rok straps leash

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1