It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Planning a diet change and want to know if I have it right?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
GeorginaMay
Teenager
Teenager
GeorginaMay

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

Planning a diet change and want to know if I have it right? Empty
PostSubject: Planning a diet change and want to know if I have it right?   Planning a diet change and want to know if I have it right? EmptyWed Jul 03, 2013 5:36 am

Hi everyone, apologies this is a bit long winded but basically I am changing Orion's diet and I would appreciate any input you might have.

So a few weeks ago I was browsing the forum during a snow day and came across posts on food and of course raw feeding.
Orion's breeder had him on Purina Proplan large breed puppy so of course not knowing any better when we bought him home we purchased the same. Now I am ashamed to admit it but it never occured to me to find out more about the food I am feeding my pup I just presumed being a vet brand it was "Premium" however thanks to this site I now know different! So after reading as much info as I can find (and making multiple pro and con lists) I have decided to give partial raw a go.

I have had some issues sourcing meat etc but here is what I can find which will be reliably available; Chicken necks, chicken carcasses, beef chuck steak, beef necks, rabbit quarters, wallaby quarters, turkey necks, lamb kidney, green tripe, and chicken livers. Does this provide enough variation? I understand the meat/bone/organ ratio and the necessity of it so want to make sure I have all bases covered Very Happy 

I was thinking that the primary meat source would be the beef chuck with chicken/turkey neck for bone and a mix of the organs since these are the items I can get in bulk and freeze where as the others I would purchase on a need by basis for variation would this work?

Since I am only planning partial raw (at least for now) I am guessing that I only feed 1-1.5% of his adult weight for a portion rather than the 2-3% recommended for a full raw diet?

Which brings me to my next set of questions... I will obviously be replacing the proplan in his morning portion with a higher quality kibble and am tossing up between Orijin & Acana. I know that they are both made by the same company and Acana is slightly cheaper but is there a clear advantage to one vs the other?

Oh one last thing I currently give him flax oil as a supplement for his coat is there anything else recommended for a growing boy?

Any comments / changes / critiques anything at all greatly appreciated I feel completely out of my depth here but really want to do the best for my boy! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

Planning a diet change and want to know if I have it right? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Planning a diet change and want to know if I have it right?   Planning a diet change and want to know if I have it right? EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 11:53 pm

I don't know much about raw so I'll be bumping this for you, but make sure you feed the kibble and raw separately. So kibble for breakfast and raw for dinner, or vice versa. They digest at different rates so definitely don't feed at the same time.

As for the supplements, I think coconut oil is a commonly used staple in most dogs diets, don't quote me on that though. Some other members should be able to chime in on that.
Back to top Go down

Planning a diet change and want to know if I have it right?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1