It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Cryptorchidism - waiting for the ball to drop?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

Cryptorchidism - waiting for the ball to drop? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cryptorchidism - waiting for the ball to drop?   Cryptorchidism - waiting for the ball to drop? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 11:49 am

Yeah, I would have them do a sonogram the day of to just to make absolutely sure where he is so young and I'm assuming that it is very small. Surprisingly recovery time is only 10 days (if I remember correctly) and then I just kept minimal activity until I felt like he was really healed. The keeping him low activity was really easy for the first couple of days because he didn't want to do anything and then when he wanted to start playing with his brother again, I started crating him in the living room with toys and kongs to keep him busy and lying down. The constant crying and pain was what broke my heart, because they really cut him open. I think I slept on the floor with him, and kept my hand on him for probably two days until the crying stopped every time he moved. I also took a couple days off of work to be with him, just so I could fully keep an eye on him but that's just me being overly dramatic.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Cryptorchidism - waiting for the ball to drop?   Cryptorchidism - waiting for the ball to drop? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 12:03 pm

I'm going to try and get Dizzy's scheduled on a Friday, so I can have a couple days at home with him.
Back to top Go down
Kellyb
Canadian Sunrise
Kellyb

Female Join date : 2012-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Cryptorchidism - waiting for the ball to drop?   Cryptorchidism - waiting for the ball to drop? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 12:05 pm

The Maryland meet is the 17th, I know you wanted to come if possible, so if he's healing well or hasnt had it done yet maybe you could drive down.
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Cryptorchidism - waiting for the ball to drop?   Cryptorchidism - waiting for the ball to drop? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 12:07 pm

Plus maybe it won't be so bad for Dizzy after surgery. He could be more of a man that my two dainty little boys! Smile 
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Cryptorchidism - waiting for the ball to drop?   Cryptorchidism - waiting for the ball to drop? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 12:20 pm

He's a total baby and drama queen. He started screaming before they even got near him with the thermometer last night... So yeah, he's gonna be a big baby about it. Kelly, I really want to come, but we only have one car, and my hubby needs it that weekend. I'm trying to work it out so that I can come, but haven't figured it out quite yet. I was thinking I'd try to schedule the neuter for Aug 29 or 30th, so I can be home with him for the three day weekend. Plus his puppy classes will be finished by then, but we'll see how it works out. Unless someone wants to drive up to the NYC to get me lol. Anyway, I'm trying to borrow a car from a friend, but most of my friends don't have cars!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Cryptorchidism - waiting for the ball to drop?   Cryptorchidism - waiting for the ball to drop? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 12:39 pm

I know they are telling you to rush, but I think that you shouldnwait a few months. There are a lot of reasons why waiting until the 8-9 month mark.

You can join us for ukc altered now if you'd like! Cato would love having dizzy as competition.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Cryptorchidism - waiting for the ball to drop?   Cryptorchidism - waiting for the ball to drop? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 12:47 pm

Really? I can do the ukc altered shows before he's altered? That's really great! Thank you for letting me know! Smile Cato will beat the bloomers off Dizzy lol, I'm such a novice at handling. If you handled Diz, and I handled Cato, Diz - might - have a chance. After a couple handling classes I fully take back my ignorant statement about ukc shows not being 'real' shows. Sorry about that one. Embarassed Does the ukc website list all upcoming events here? http://www.ukcdogs.com/Upcoming.nsf/EventView?Open&Group=DogEvents&Type=M
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Cryptorchidism - waiting for the ball to drop?   Cryptorchidism - waiting for the ball to drop? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 4:31 pm

Haha don't worry. Yes, you can get a tl number and just show in regular until he is altered. Then when he is altered all of his points and wins transfer Smile right now he's under 6 months right? So it's non-licensed puppy class.

I will admit that some bad breeders do ukc, but it's a great learning tool and many wonderful breeders are starting to get involved.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
GeorginaMay
Teenager
Teenager
GeorginaMay

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Cryptorchidism - waiting for the ball to drop?   Cryptorchidism - waiting for the ball to drop? - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 6:18 pm

Hi Jen, I'm not sure what you decided in regards to Dizzy and his neuter but I just wanted to share my experience with Orion. He was in the same situ as Dizzy - one testicle completely un-descended at 6 months of age. Our vet urged us to fix him immediately so I made the appointment then I rung the breeder to notify her just in case the other boys in the litter were at risk. She asked to see him so we popped out to her place and we had a chat. She advised me to wait since she didn't think he was mature enough to be neutered yet, we also discussed the prevalence of this situation in Sibes particularly in show lines that are fast developing, the risks of the situation and Orion's options while we waited and if it never showed up. Long story short I cancelled Orion's neuter appointment and put my trust in the advice of my breeder. Turns out my breeder was spot on and it was worth waiting because all of a sudden at one day away from 9 months old... two balls!
Back to top Go down
li_izumi
Puppy
Puppy
li_izumi

PostSubject: Re: Cryptorchidism - waiting for the ball to drop?   Cryptorchidism - waiting for the ball to drop? - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 9:21 pm

Jasparr also has only one descended. My vet said that if they weren't dropped by 4 months they weren't likely to drop, though clearly there are exceptions, based on some of the examples noted above. She did note in regards to the one that hasn't descended that when she felt for it, she started to feel it and then it pulled up. She wondered if when he's under his body will be relaxed enough for it to drop. Well, he has at least a solid month and a half before he turns 6 months so there is still a chance the second will drop before then.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Cryptorchidism - waiting for the ball to drop?   Cryptorchidism - waiting for the ball to drop? - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 9:10 am

GeorginaMay wrote:
Hi Jen, I'm not sure what you decided in regards to Dizzy and his neuter but I just wanted to share my experience with Orion. He was in the same situ as Dizzy - one testicle completely un-descended at 6 months of age. Our vet urged us to fix him immediately so I made the appointment then I rung the breeder to notify her just in case the other boys in the litter were at risk. She asked to see him so we popped out to her place and we had a chat. She advised me to wait since she didn't think he was mature enough to be neutered yet, we also discussed the prevalence of this situation in Sibes particularly in show lines that are fast developing, the risks of the situation and Orion's options while we waited and if it never showed up. Long story short I cancelled Orion's neuter appointment and put my trust in the advice of my breeder. Turns out my breeder was spot on and it was worth waiting because all of a sudden at one day away from 9 months old... two balls!
Well that's hopeful! He's still only got the one, but I have decided to wait to neuter him. If it's not down by the time he's 12-18 months I'll get him neutered, although, I'm tossing around the idea of only having the retained one removed. Based on advice here, and other research, I decided that either way, I preferred to wait until he had matured before neutering. I have just decided to let nature take its course, and if it comes down, that will be great and we'll get our show career started. It's a shame, because he looks better and better the older he gets. My vet has been calling on a weekly basis pressuring me into getting it done, but the head vet and owner of the clinic is a member of peta, so I assume that the pressure comes from him. I actually hate to support that vet (as I'm sure he donates money to peta), but they are the only holistic vet in the neighborhood that is semi affordable.
Back to top Go down
GeorginaMay
Teenager
Teenager
GeorginaMay

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Cryptorchidism - waiting for the ball to drop?   Cryptorchidism - waiting for the ball to drop? - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 3:38 pm

That's a shame about your vet, I can relate though my vet is part of the training club I take Orion to so I get pestered every week about it as well. 12-18 months sounds good, I personally know of one other dog who was in the same situ and he was 11 months old when his descended - he's now on his way to being a show champ Smile
One thing my breeder did mention was that there is a procedure to help them along if necessary - the testicle can be pulled through and a small stitch is put in the bottom to hold it in the scrotum. By the time the stitch is healed the testicle will stay in place on it's own since it is already past the muscular structure preventing it from descending in the first place. it is the same procedure that they do on young boys with the same issue. I'm not sure if it would be something to consider if you are set on showing him, I personally haven't met anyone who has done it as it's not common, most people just give up and neuter.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cryptorchidism - waiting for the ball to drop?   Cryptorchidism - waiting for the ball to drop? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Cryptorchidism - waiting for the ball to drop?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2