It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

New Huskies for the world

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Red Gabe 111
Newborn
Newborn
Red Gabe 111

New Huskies for the world Empty
PostSubject: New Huskies for the world   New Huskies for the world EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 9:20 pm

Three girls and to boys
New Huskies for the world P9090612
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: New Huskies for the world   New Huskies for the world EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 9:44 am

Did Gabe have puppies? I thought he was fixed? Either way, they're adorable!

New Huskies for the world Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Red Gabe 111
Newborn
Newborn
Red Gabe 111

PostSubject: Re: New Huskies for the world   New Huskies for the world EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 12:36 pm

No they aren't gabe's but his future mate is the one that has what looks a clover leaf design on her face. After we lost then found Gabe again by a miracle needless to say, my mom say how we were attached to him and decided to get a husky for herself. She found a female (papered) first FREE and a few days later along came a male (papered) and free as well. The end result is the pretty babies above. I do have a question though, how much should she ask them?
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: New Huskies for the world   New Huskies for the world EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 12:47 pm

Was this a planned breeding? Sorry- this just seems wildly irresponsible to me as breeding is NOT something that should ever be taken lightly. What happened?

If you're asking us how much she should charge for the puppies, that's a HUGE red flag that this breeding should NEVER have happened. I hope she plans on getting both of her dogs fixed after this.

She should charge no more than the cost of vetting and paperwork for the dogs. They should ALL come with spay/neuter contracts and a contract mandating that if the new owners cannot keep the dogs, that they will bring the dog back to your mother. A breeder stands by her dogs and assures that they all have a home no matter what.

Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: New Huskies for the world   New Huskies for the world EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 1:49 pm

+1 for this seeming very irresponsible. So seems like you guys found a free male and female and decided to breed them. You realize that just because they have papers does not mean they are to breed standard or even should be bred at all. I assume the parents were not hips were not OFA'ed or eyes CERF'ed. Responsible breeders only breed dogs to help improve the breed. They only breed those who have excellent conformation, excel in shows or as a working dog, and have been fully tested with excellent or good scores (i.e. good eyes, hips, shoulders, and no genetic diseases).

There are way to many homeless huskies in shelters and rescue for people to continue to breed just for hobby. Please your all your dogs spayed and neutered. It sounds like you plan on breeding your dog to one of the puppies, but please don't! Do yourself a favor and go to several animal shelters near you and just look at all the dogs there and ask yourself if you really want to help continue pet overpopulation.

But as for these puppies, like Koda said, write up spay/neuter contracts for them or even better get them all spayed/neutered before selling them. And give high incentives for the dogs to come back to you if the owner no longer wants the dog. You need to be responsible for the puppies throughout their whole lives and not let them end up in a shelter. And do home checks and really question the new owners before selling the puppies to make sure they are getting good forever homes.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Red Gabe 111
Newborn
Newborn
Red Gabe 111

PostSubject: Re: New Huskies for the world   New Huskies for the world EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 5:16 pm

WOW!!! First of all I guess i should have given some background on her as a bredder first!!! She used to breed another breed (boxers I think). recently retired wanted to get back into this. NOT for the money but for the love of animals!!. Her kennels are well kept, clean fans for hot months and warmth if needed for cold. She knows were all of her babies have ended up. She always check out the new homes first, making sure there was enough space, clean sleeping areas, making sure the new families could take care of them, educated them on the breed as she knew it, checking on children because some breeds and small children do not mix ect. . Her huskies were rescued (as was Gabe). I understand the spay/neutered thing but she breeds for families that really want that breed. She does not breed often at all. And her female will not get bred for a long time. She is a reputiable breeder in her area. My husband and I talk about this web site as it has helped us with Gabe. This is a new breed for her and thats the only reason i asked about price. She thought this site may help the new owners and a way to see updated pics of her extended family from time to time. Again I say WOW!![b]
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: New Huskies for the world   New Huskies for the world EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 5:23 pm

I understand your outrage, but you need to see it from our perspective. We don't know a thing about you other than what you post and we know even less about your mother. If you're going to post something like that, I do highly recommend posting all the background information because put yourself in our shoes. Would you want someone to perpetuate bad practices out of ignorance? We also need to think of people who are looking at our site who are not educated on reputable breeding practices. It is my responsibility to make sure that no one misunderstands what constitutes safe and ethical breeding. I can understand you being put-off, but I think you need to look at it from our angle as well and remember that our knowledge of you extends no further than this computer screen Smile

There was no way for us to know that your mother has experience, and that's why I asked what happened. I didn't point fingers, but the questions that you asked definitely indicated a lack of education on breeding. Just because you are breeding for family pet purposes doesn't mean that you don't need to research before breeding either. In my eyes, ALL questions should have been answered before entering into the mating, but that's my opinion.

Also, we can agree to disagree on this, but it's again my opinion that breeding is unethical in any situation unless that breeder is creating the litter to better the breed for showing or racing purposes. Breeding for family pets is simply unnecessary in my view because of all the purebred dogs out there needing homes. That's my perspective though and not "the word" by any means.

EDIT: I'm also just trying to clarify. Are you saying that you understand the spay/neuter contracts but because she's breeding for family pets, the contracts aren't necessary? Just trying to understand.

Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: New Huskies for the world   New Huskies for the world EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 5:37 pm

Sure puts my 80% CD history Saint puppy in perspective. Eight generations of eyes/hips/heart, and one litter per bitch per year at most are my prerequisites. Yeah, I'm neurotic and obsessive about it, but I would never breed the champion dog that I will no doubt purchase. None of this (in my opinion) is meant to put you on the defensive. The pups exist and that's what things need to be based on. Personally I would not sell these dogs.

I would put people through my own standards before they even laid eyes on one even through the internet. This breed is on the verge of destruction through improper breeding. The standard has basically been thrown by the wayside. Huskies nowadays are either too large or too small. The actual working of dogs hasn't even been considered by most "breeders". I'm not shy to say that Huskies are not my preferred breed, but I would want a dog as close to original size and intent as possible. Huskies are still to this day a hardy breed with very few inherited concerns. Situations like this diminish the stamina of the original genetics.

I've been searching Saint pups for almost 18 months now. The fact that I still can't get on a waiting list proves to me that I have chosen reputable breeders. I hope these Huskies find good homes. But based on what I do for my sled dogs, I have serious doubts about their future. Sorry, "papers" don't amount to a hill of beans to me.
Back to top Go down
Red Gabe 111
Newborn
Newborn
Red Gabe 111

PostSubject: Re: New Huskies for the world   New Huskies for the world EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 6:56 pm

Again WOW...I see I made a mistake proudly showing the new babies off. As for the comment abouts paper..they don't mean anything to me either!!! About their well being and their future..I STAND BY THEM as I would my own flesh and blood!!! I wish i had never ask that question. Our beloved pets are taken care of as will the babies. The comment is right about not knowing anything beyond this screen about anyone. In my opnion sled dogs, working dogs, and show dogs are no more loved and taken care of than these babies, their parents and by no means Gabe!! Again sorry.

i
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: New Huskies for the world   New Huskies for the world EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 7:20 pm

No need for apologies. Our own expectations of purchased dogs have been made public.

My opinions are based on the fact that I KNOW my dog won't work 1,000 miles at once and I highly doubt any pet Husky ever would. But that's what they were originally bred for and that is what any reputably bred Husky should be able to do by age three. Ignoring papers doesn't balance the fact that eyes/hips/heart/endurance/etc tests haven't been done. I have gone through too much heartache with adopted dogs that I will ALWAYS purchase work first/show quality second, dogs from people that ignore me for up to two years.

Your mom might know infinitely more than me forever more, but the "boxers I think" comment smacks of breed illiteracy. They as well were bred for a specific purpose that has been bastardized into oblivion. Anymore, people seem to breed for pets. I'm certain that you will have no problem selling these dogs, as I am certain that half will end up in non-compatible homes. When these dogs have 2,500 plus miles of work on them I will humbly admit my mistaken comments. Until then...

For the record, I don't feel that I meet my improperly bred Husky's needs. These dogs are intense and any Husky that lacks that quality is NOT a Husky in my eyes.

This argument is tired and found thousands of times on the internet. You and your mom will do what you're going to do. I just don't want to see this breed diminished the way it has been since those finger flipping Disney movies and eight below.

Ever wonder why pure Huskies aren't racing anymore? I'm done with this topic. I tried to steer clear and failed.

Last edited by harrise on Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: New Huskies for the world   New Huskies for the world EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 8:42 pm

No one is denying that YOU take care of your pets. Further, no one said that family dogs, working dogs, or show dogs are more or less loved and cared for. I'm not sure where you got either of those comments from.

You're missing the point, but it doesn't particularly appear as if you care to hear it, so whether you read on or not, I will reiterate it here for the benefit of others.

It IS irresponsible to breed an animal without health tests: eyes, hips, and genetic diseases. Kudos to you and your mother for rescuing, but breeding them is a whole other story. Most of our rescues come from back yard breeders "breeding for the love of the dog" and as "family pets." That's not to say that yours will end up in shelters, but I guarantee you that they have a much higher probability than those from a breeder that went through all the above motions. Can you certify that one of those puppies isn't going to get sick or develop a genetic disorder in 3 years? 5 years? 10 years? That's what health tests are for. Don't family pets deserve that same consideration as working or show dogs?

The puppies are beautiful, and I wish you luck with them, as I wish for all of them long, healthy, happy lives with forever homes. I do feel sorry if we've turned you away from the forum, but I would be a hypocrite if I didn't stand by my beliefs.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Huskies for the world   New Huskies for the world EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 5:50 pm

Adding onto the list of BYBs.. woo hoo!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Huskies for the world   New Huskies for the world Empty

Back to top Go down

New Huskies for the world

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1