It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

This is what a seizure looks like

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

This is what a seizure looks like Empty
PostSubject: This is what a seizure looks like   This is what a seizure looks like EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 7:48 pm

It was suggested in Shadow's thread that I upload a video of her having a seizure so that people know what it looks like.  In my research I've found that seizures are more prevalent in Huskies than a lot of other breeds, and this is something that people need to know how to recognize quickly.  Shadow pulls her head to the right during her seizures because of the brain damage on that side, but if a dog doesn't have any damage they likely won't pull their head like that.

To keep up with Shadow's thread and comment on her specific issues, here's the link: https://www.itsahuskything.com/t10655-shadow-is-having-seizures

Now for the video..

*****THIS IS DISTURBING*****

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

This is what a seizure looks like 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: This is what a seizure looks like   This is what a seizure looks like EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 7:53 pm

I don't know how you handle seeing that so often with her, it breaks my heart to watch. Sierras have never been that bad, but she drools a ton when she has had them and her eyes get very glassed over and she does not look like she is here with us. she only shakes a little bit and can either be laying down or sitting.

Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: This is what a seizure looks like   This is what a seizure looks like EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 7:56 pm

I am so sorry! I couldn't even finish the video because I feel so bad for Shadow that she has to go through this and for you having to watch it every time. I really hope the added holistic elements really help along with the medicine and that you guys can stop these soon so you don't have to worry as much anymore. At least you said after she has them, she acts like nothing has happened, that must be the only some what comforting thing that gets you through this.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: This is what a seizure looks like   This is what a seizure looks like EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 8:01 pm

Poor baby. When I suggested that post for your blog, I wasn't expecting a video, more of a text description. But I imagine that's probably tough too.

I really hope getting her back on the 8 hr medicine will help, I can't imagine what it's like having to watch her go through that...
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: This is what a seizure looks like   This is what a seizure looks like EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 8:10 pm

Oh my Sad Poor Shadow, thank you for sharing I didn't know what a seizure in dogs looked like. I just couldn't imagine having to watch my do go through that.... how awful!. I hope something works for you soon.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: This is what a seizure looks like   This is what a seizure looks like EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 8:16 pm

People should also realize seizures can vary quite a bit. Faith's seizures were much worse than the one portrayed above. Faith didn't turn her head to either side at all, the shaking and thrashing was easily 10 times more violent, and a times it looked like Faith was in a dead run sideways on the floor. Faith's were so violent that they caused serious damage to her eye that was on the side where the floor was.

Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: This is what a seizure looks like   This is what a seizure looks like EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 8:16 pm

MGoBlue wrote:
Poor baby. When I suggested that post for your blog, I wasn't expecting a video, more of a text description. But I imagine that's probably tough too.

I really hope getting her back on the 8 hr medicine will help, I can't imagine what it's like having to watch her go through that...

It's easier to show a video than to try to describe what happens. This gets the idea across a little better.

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

This is what a seizure looks like 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: This is what a seizure looks like   This is what a seizure looks like EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 8:47 pm

Poor baby Sad How many seizures has she had since she's been on the medicine?
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: This is what a seizure looks like   This is what a seizure looks like EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 8:48 pm

She's had 5, all when she was on the extended release version of her seizure med (Keppra). She's been seizure free since switching back to the regular formula yesterday, fingers crossed that it continues.

Back to top Go down
eander83
Adult
Adult
eander83

Female Join date : 2013-01-18

PostSubject: Re: This is what a seizure looks like   This is what a seizure looks like EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 9:04 pm

I started tearing up. The poor thing. If you do decide on the shunt I will do everthing in my power to help in fundraising. Ill throw pride to the wind and shamelessly harrass friends family and coworkers before I start on strangers. Smile
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: This is what a seizure looks like   This is what a seizure looks like EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 9:17 pm

Thanks, Erica. You guys are amazing Smile 

Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: This is what a seizure looks like   This is what a seizure looks like EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 10:06 pm

Wow, that is intense. So is she okay right after it is over? Is there a wake or a lingering effect to the seizure afterwords?
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: This is what a seizure looks like   This is what a seizure looks like EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 10:10 pm

poor shadow.. glad the regular meds are helping.. I am more than willing to help you in the cost of the stunt.

I have a friend here who husky an adult who has had a couple seizures nothing like what shadow in going thru..
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: This is what a seizure looks like   This is what a seizure looks like EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 10:15 pm

So impressed how she comes out of it so well. That's hard to see but even more of a testament of WHY people should only support responsible breeders! Shadow is lucky to have you guys as her family Smile

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: This is what a seizure looks like   This is what a seizure looks like EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 10:18 pm

arooroomom wrote:
Shadow is lucky to have you guys as her family Smile

I can not second this enough. You and your crew are quite inspirational Meredith.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

Female Join date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: This is what a seizure looks like   This is what a seizure looks like EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 10:37 pm

Very hard to watch. Thank you for posting it. I have never seen a dog seizure before and I feel every pet owner and parent should know what one looks like.

Shadow is very lucky to have you and im happy the switch back to the regular release formula is working for her.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: This is what a seizure looks like   This is what a seizure looks like EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 10:47 pm

Oh my goodness that poor baby, god bless her!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: This is what a seizure looks like   This is what a seizure looks like EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 10:54 pm

I'm so sorry Meredith, but I am thankful you have a good support system.

P.S. Your sig made me cry. I'm such a sap.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
ChillyBeach
Teenager
Teenager
ChillyBeach

Male Join date : 2013-04-28

PostSubject: Re: This is what a seizure looks like   This is what a seizure looks like EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 11:01 pm

blueeyedghost wrote:
She's had 5, all when she was on the extended release version of her seizure med (Keppra).  She's been seizure free since switching back to the regular formula yesterday, fingers crossed that it continues.

many thanks for the shocking post. I hope the meds continue to work for you and shadow. id certainly have a few years knocked off the end of my life seeing Harry in that situation and cant imagine what you've gone through.
Back to top Go down
ccurran07
Teenager
Teenager
ccurran07

Female Join date : 2013-07-21

PostSubject: Re: This is what a seizure looks like   This is what a seizure looks like EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 11:45 pm

Thanks for your bravery in posting this. Prayers for you guys in dealing with this.
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: This is what a seizure looks like   This is what a seizure looks like EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 12:16 am

That breaks my heart. Hopefully the meds will continue to work.

I agree with Valerie though, seizures can vary a lot. The seizures my shepherd mix had in the past were typically much more violent. Her head also goes straight back and forward, not to the side. I would always throw soft things under her head as I was sure she would hurt herself. It is really sad to see any type of seizure though, even the ones in which they just glaze over.

By the way, I love your quote. I remember not being able to take Lexi for walks as they were a huge trigger for her seizures. Funny now how proud I am of her for just walking around the neighborhood with me and Loki completely happy and carefree.
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: This is what a seizure looks like   This is what a seizure looks like EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 2:45 am

That was hard to watch, even as a video. I hope that switching the meds back keeps working for her. As always, please keep updating us on pretty miss Shadow. Stay strong! I know it must be really emotionally taxing. She couldn't be in better hands.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: This is what a seizure looks like   This is what a seizure looks like EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 11:00 am

My in-laws have a Beagle that has seizure like events every now and then that are similar without the pulling of the head. Her whole body shakes and she stumbles around with her head rolling side to side. They usually just hold her so she doesn't stumble into something and hurt herself. Not much else they can do. It's not as violent as Shadows though. I feel so bad for all of you. I'm not nearly strong enough as you must be with all of this.

Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: This is what a seizure looks like   This is what a seizure looks like EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 12:47 pm

I've never seen a dog have a seizure before, but I have witnessed a friend have a very mild one before. One of my best friends has epilepsy and while I've never seen him have a seizure, I have seen the aftermath of a bad one. Shadow seems to come out of it like it was nothing.

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this but I am glad to hear that the medicine is working for her. *hugs*

Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: This is what a seizure looks like   This is what a seizure looks like EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 4:54 pm

How is the little angel today. And for the record, I'm on board to help with any fundraising effort you need, just say the word!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: This is what a seizure looks like   This is what a seizure looks like Empty

Back to top Go down

This is what a seizure looks like

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next