It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hello rock, meet hard place

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

Female Join date : 2012-09-22

Hello rock, meet hard place - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello rock, meet hard place   Hello rock, meet hard place - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 7:34 pm

Yes take the skin off the chicken for now. Have you tried powdered probiotics (not yogurt)? Sorry I haven't had a chance to read the whole thread im Currently on the train.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ericalynnrodriguez.net
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: Hello rock, meet hard place   Hello rock, meet hard place - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 10:20 pm

Breath in, breath out. People have a hard time finding a solution for similar problems and there are oodles of Doctors working on it. Your poor puppy really only has you and you seem to be doing your best. All you can do is keep trying.
Back to top Go down
heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

Female Join date : 2013-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Hello rock, meet hard place   Hello rock, meet hard place - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 5:07 am

Okay and we're back to the straight water poop. She just came and got me to take her out and, being 4 am of course it's dark so I couldn't see anything but it sounded like she was peeing. So now I wonder if I did get some bad chicken?? She was better on the split breast, no good on the thigh and badbadbadbad when I gave 1/4 LB of boneless. Going to give her a rest today and will buy some different meat before I throw everything out but that has to be it. Wtf else could it be?? No vomiting yet...
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Hello rock, meet hard place   Hello rock, meet hard place - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 8:17 am

Did you end up getting the gastriplex? I think the probiotics are what finally got Dizzy back to normal. I would also recommend the pepto. I get the tablets because he doesn't like the liquid. I just break them in half and gave him a half a one 2-3 times a day. It's obviously not a long term solution but hopefully will help in the short term. I would also avoid boneless until she's totally formed for a few days. Hopefully since she's off the wormer now that will help too. I know that causes dizzy to have diarrhea as well.
Back to top Go down
heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

PostSubject: Re: Hello rock, meet hard place   Hello rock, meet hard place - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 8:49 am

I haven't gotten the gastriplex yet but I'm going to order it this week. She already cost me $500 at the vet so I've got to wait until pay day to do anything else. I'll pick up some pepto on the way home from work. I don't have time to get it this morning before work, we don't live near anything. I only gave her a small amount of the boneless (I'm thinking is the main culprit) because she didn't do any better on the thigh so I didn't want to give her that again and I wasn't sure what else to give her. I guess I should have given her another split breast. Hopefully because I only gave her a small amount of the boneless she won't be as bad this time.

I wonder if the meat just sat out or something? It's not enhanced. But it seems the thighs and my boneless are both tainted. I didn't leave it on the counter so maybe it wasn't cold enough at the store or something? Wonder if I could sue Sam's for the $500 vet bills, ha ha.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Hello rock, meet hard place   Hello rock, meet hard place - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 9:13 am

I was thinking maybe it is just chicken have you tried other meats? I have not read everything here in detail.
Back to top Go down
heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

PostSubject: Re: Hello rock, meet hard place   Hello rock, meet hard place - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 9:45 am

I haven't, she's been having some chronic issues so I've been taking it slow and we've had to start over alot. She did fine on the split breast though and it makes sense for the thighs to be bad because I kept giving them to her trying to firm things up and they never did, which is why I thought there was something wrong. So here's to hoping I just got some bad meat.
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Hello rock, meet hard place   Hello rock, meet hard place - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 9:59 am

How long did she eat the chicken before it became a problem? Could it be an allergy?

If definitely being the chicken to the attention of the butcher at Sam's if you think that's what made her sick. If it made her sick, it'd be bad news for people.
Back to top Go down
heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

PostSubject: Re: Hello rock, meet hard place   Hello rock, meet hard place - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 10:30 am

She had been on the chicken for months, I don't think it's actually chicken just that particular chicken. I actually know the meat manager at Sam's so I'll be sure to stop by and let him know.
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Hello rock, meet hard place   Hello rock, meet hard place - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 10:41 am

Gotcha. Good grief, I hate this for you!

Hope you get something figured out soon! For her sake and yours!
Back to top Go down
heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

PostSubject: Re: Hello rock, meet hard place   Hello rock, meet hard place - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 10:55 am

Thank you! I'll update in a few days, hoping hoping it's the meat.
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Hello rock, meet hard place   Hello rock, meet hard place - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 12:40 pm

Just worked through this whole post so I do not know the rest of the raw history for Mila but based on these post I think it does sound like the bad batch. Can you try several days of non of that bad food? Just yogurt for the pro/prebiotics and/or the split breast? Does she have any other raw proteins you can switch too for a day or so?

Curious as to wether you ever tried the egg, yogurt, or veggies.

Could it be an acid reflux issue? Bourbon was 55 lbs and was given a Prilosec OTC tablet 1 per day for four days not sure if that might help. Acid Reflux has a lot of dogs "stretching" their throat, licking alot or no sound gagging. With a non appetite[except his high value food(sweet potatoe/apples/raw meat] Not the same as you but helpful can this was a sympton on top of the other symptons. (my vet believes the longer they are upset with a diet and bowels that they could upset there stomach with acid reflux too)

I know when Bourbon was sick last (acid reflux, a mole, and turkey allergy all at once) I kept him on the bland rice/eggs, after the 20 hour fast, then introduced a littl pumpkin, the veggies (we do frozen or can g beans), then added apple and slowly reintrodued the food (kibble for me chicken for you) at a rate of 1/4 of a regular meal each meal increasing 1/4 closer to a regular meal. (That is how I realized it was the turkey). Then started again to introduce a different food (kibble for me, another raw protein for you).
I got all the way back to normal including the topping w raw (which is just fruits/veggies and small raw meat on top of kibble diet.) This might not help but tought it was worth a helpful insight and another try of support. Hang in there and hope it was just the meat.

heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

PostSubject: Re: Hello rock, meet hard place   Hello rock, meet hard place - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 5:36 pm

I never tried the egg and veggies because she had gotten better. I don't know how she would do on egg, she's never had it but I'm going to get her some yogurt today. I got her some pepto and gave it to her already. I may try giving her some carrots and green beans tomorrow. I'm scared to feed her anything and make it worse. I want to see if it settles a bit first.

I'm not sure on the acid reflux but she doesn't have any of those symptoms and would that cause explosive uncontrollable diarrhea?
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Hello rock, meet hard place   Hello rock, meet hard place - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 5:55 pm

I think your plan sounds good. Especially if you think it was just a bad batch of chicken, which sounds possible. I know yogurt works for some, but for Dizzy, it caused the runs. Pretty much everything caused the runs for him for a while, especially when the weather is hot. I was finally able to wean him off of adding pumpkin to his food the last couple days (knock on wood). but still do gastriplex. Another probiotic option that is much more afforadable is this: http://www.amazon.com/pet-supplies/dp/B000VSZSBC I stuck with gastriplex because of other ingredients, but this might help until you are able to get that on your next paycheck, or it just might work so you don't have to get gastriplex. Smile If you do carrots, make sure you cook them, raw carrots will come out just like they went in. I wouldn't do the bland egg/veg diet unless you can't get her back to firm on the split breasts like you were using before. Smile It sounds like for her, the less variation the better.
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

PostSubject: Re: Hello rock, meet hard place   Hello rock, meet hard place - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 6:21 pm

If you never tried the stuff I would be careful cause some dogs gets rune from everything I mentioned. Maybe the split breast and nothing else to confirm and rest.

HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

PostSubject: Re: Hello rock, meet hard place   Hello rock, meet hard place - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 6:22 pm

Hey you beat me on the variation or new foods comment Jen:lol: 

heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

PostSubject: Re: Hello rock, meet hard place   Hello rock, meet hard place - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 5:34 pm

So Mila hasn't pooped today. She backed her butt of to her crate door again yesterday and pooped, that's even with my taking her out before work, my neighbor taking her out a couple of hours later, and my husband coming home and taking her out a couple of hours after that. I got home about 3-4 hours later and she had gone already. Atleast this time I was prepared and I put her on the hard wood floor with a couple of old towels under the crate so it wasn't as big of a deal this time. She went probably 2-3 more times yesterday and last night around 1 she got me up. I've given her some pepto, she wouldn't chew it so I just shoved it down her throat. I may wait one more day of no pooping before giving her some split breast. She's definitely acting fine though, she yanked the leash out of my hand when I took her out a few minutes ago and I had to go chasing her through the neighborhood lol.
In retrospect I did opt out of the veggies or anything, especially if cooking them in broth. I didn't want to have any reason at all to upset her stomach even more. I didn't want too many variables, so we can figure out it's a batch of bad food and throw it out and be done.

BTW, the vet called and said her blood work and urinalysis came back fine, although she was dehydrated (duh, she's peeing out of her butt). It finally came out that she eats raw and he says he doesn't like it but it's fine for her and that he'd like me to call back and discuss a meal plan to make sure her diet is balanced. Just like the last vet, I hope he didn't set any time aside for that phone call because he'll be waiting a while.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello rock, meet hard place   Hello rock, meet hard place - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello rock, meet hard place

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2