It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Alaskan Husky???

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

Alaskan Husky??? Empty
PostSubject: Alaskan Husky???   Alaskan Husky??? EmptySat Aug 03, 2013 2:14 pm

SO Shaqua and I met an "alaskan husky" at the dog park earlier this week. What exactly is an alaskan husky? This one had floppy ears and was supper fuzzy with the ice blue eyes of a husky. I didn't think it was an actual breed???

Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

Alaskan Husky??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Husky???   Alaskan Husky??? EmptySat Aug 03, 2013 2:44 pm

A alaskan husky is a mix??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaskan_Husky

The shelters list a lot of huskies as Alaskan Huskies when they list them because they are not sure if they are mix. My female we got from a shelter was listed as a Alaskan husky we believe she is all Siberian husky but have not had any DNA testing done to be sure.

She is the lighter one in my sig.
Back to top Go down
ccurran07
Teenager
Teenager
ccurran07

Female Join date : 2013-07-21

Alaskan Husky??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Husky???   Alaskan Husky??? EmptySat Aug 03, 2013 2:59 pm

From my understanding they are a mixed breed that were/are used for sledding. Typically the Alaskans are somewhat bigger and don't usually have the blue eyes along with a shorter coat length. They aren't recognized by the AKC but are their own breed I guess.
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/huskyalaskansiberian.htm
http://www.sleddogcentral.com/features/little_wolf/alaskans.htm
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

Alaskan Husky??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Husky???   Alaskan Husky??? EmptySat Aug 03, 2013 3:21 pm

Yeah, I've met one at the dog park before as well. It was exactly like what Cortnie stated. They are kind of tall, lanky and very skinny with the shorter coat.

The one I saw didn't match your description of an Alaskan Husky Nicole, but if they are mixes of dogs I'm sure it was one just mixed with an unusual breed.
Back to top Go down
Trailtoad1
Teenager
Teenager
Trailtoad1

Male Join date : 2013-02-26

Alaskan Husky??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Husky???   Alaskan Husky??? EmptySat Aug 03, 2013 3:47 pm

I always thought it was a mix between Alaskan Malamute and A Siberian Husky.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

Alaskan Husky??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Husky???   Alaskan Husky??? EmptySat Aug 03, 2013 5:11 pm

We actually have an alaskan husky on the forum, Panzer, who lives out here in Seattle. They are pretty much a mix of everything that people thought would make a really good sled dog. They don't necessarily look husky, but they play like one!!
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

Alaskan Husky??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Husky???   Alaskan Husky??? EmptySat Aug 03, 2013 5:51 pm

Alaskan huskies were created by crossing Northern breeds and non-northern breeds (typically sporting dogs) to create faster running dogs- what is compromised is usually a shorter less dense coat, and many of the arctic phenotypes that make our dogs not only efficient sled dogs but hardy cold weather survivalists.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

Female Join date : 2012-09-22

Alaskan Husky??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Husky???   Alaskan Husky??? EmptySat Aug 03, 2013 6:49 pm

I think they all look different. My neighbors puppy is a rescue that is mixed with a Siberian Husky and they call her an Alaskan Husky. No one knows what she is mixed with because her coat is thin and short and her ears are erect. She has brown eyes and a light mask around her face. She's stubborn, plays hard like a husky and can't play fetch to save her life.

Alaskan Husky??? 9429517507_5978fbd96f_o
Alaskan Husky??? 9432288624_a69eb3a268_o

Yes, that is astroturf on our back porch, lol. We took scraps from the high schools field across the street that is getting new turf.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ericalynnrodriguez.net
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

Alaskan Husky??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Husky???   Alaskan Husky??? EmptySun Aug 04, 2013 12:13 am

That puppy looks a lot like Loki except he has blue eyes.  He is a rescue so not 100%.  I figure it will be easier to tell when he has adult coat as right now his coat is similar to lab. Loki does play fetch though and drop toys for me.

But from what I read alaskan huskies are mixed.
Back to top Go down
amora
Teenager
Teenager
amora

Female Join date : 2013-05-07

Alaskan Husky??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Husky???   Alaskan Husky??? EmptySun Aug 04, 2013 1:06 pm

double post..whoops

Last edited by amora on Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
amora
Teenager
Teenager
amora

Alaskan Husky??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Husky???   Alaskan Husky??? EmptySun Aug 04, 2013 1:06 pm

There's tons of alaskan huskies back home (in Alaska duh) lol two hardly ever look the same they're a mutt mix bred for certain qualities (usually really high energy) I actually ever rarely saw a siberian husky. ...alaskan huskies fill the shelters usually. We used to watch the start of the Yukon race and because they're on such a high Protien diet of fish when they pooped it stunk to high heaven lol
Back to top Go down
amora
Teenager
Teenager
amora

Alaskan Husky??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Husky???   Alaskan Husky??? EmptySun Aug 04, 2013 1:16 pm

http://0.tqn.com/d/cruises/1/0/Z/O/4/Alaska_Dog_Sled_06.JPG
http://drsophiayin.com/images/uploads/Alaska2010%20248.jpg
they're usually kept in areas like this...not as inside dogs
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Alaskan Husky??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Husky???   Alaskan Husky??? Empty

Back to top Go down

Alaskan Husky???

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1