It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Caper made me SUCH a PROUD MOMMA today!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
NewComer
Puppy
Puppy
NewComer

Caper made me SUCH a PROUD MOMMA today!!! Empty
PostSubject: Caper made me SUCH a PROUD MOMMA today!!!   Caper made me SUCH a PROUD MOMMA today!!! EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 2:03 am

Caper had his second day of daycare today and first obedience class in the evening. Wow, he made me SUCH a PROUD MOMMA! When I picked him up, the staff were telling me how great his play manners were, and that he is the best husky they've ever had.

Then at obedience, he totally proved my fears wrong. He came back to me when I called him away from the other dogs, no lunging or barking, calmly stayed by me, sat/laid near me while the instructor was demonstrating, and perfectly performed every command without me having to fight for his attention, even though the student next to us was lunging and barking at him! Granted, he already knew the commands, but for him to focus to this degree around DOGS - Amazing!!

The instructors were amazed that he had such a sharp response to commands despite being a husky and complimented him so much that I'm sure he would be blushing under all that fur if he could understand. It even turned out that one of the instructors had heard about Caper from her friend who works at the daycare we go to 25 miles away. She said that her friend was right about him being the best behaved husky she'd ever met!

We're both all smiles over here. I hope next week will be just as good!
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Caper made me SUCH a PROUD MOMMA today!!!   Caper made me SUCH a PROUD MOMMA today!!! EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 10:05 am

Isn't daycare awesome?!
Back to top Go down
amora
Teenager
Teenager
amora

Female Join date : 2013-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Caper made me SUCH a PROUD MOMMA today!!!   Caper made me SUCH a PROUD MOMMA today!!! EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 10:24 am

aw congrats! Smile
Back to top Go down
seanbrunett
Teenager
Teenager
seanbrunett

Male Join date : 2013-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Caper made me SUCH a PROUD MOMMA today!!!   Caper made me SUCH a PROUD MOMMA today!!! EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 11:00 am

That's awesome, congrats!!! We started taking Kai to daycare a few weeks back and it has also made a world of difference. We're able to exercise her a lot before and after work and we had a walker come twice a day while we were at work, but it couldn't possibly match the exercise she gets at doggie day care. Definitely speaks to the notion that a tired (well exercised) husky = a well behaved husky Smile
Back to top Go down
NewComer
Puppy
Puppy
NewComer

PostSubject: Re: Caper made me SUCH a PROUD MOMMA today!!!   Caper made me SUCH a PROUD MOMMA today!!! EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 1:39 pm

I I love you daycare!! Jen, I am so glad I took your advice on that one. He is a whole different dog, a whole lot calmer and less desperate. When we get home he is so pooped he'll just collect his evening marrow bone then go straight to his crate and sleep!

Seanbruett, I agree!! I religiously run/walk/off-lead play with him for 2 hours every single day and he is nowhere near as satisfied as he is after the dog park or daycare. Seems like there must be a dog-socialization component that needs to happen along with the physical exercise component on a daily basis to truly tire him out, which doesn't always get emphasized when people talk about husky exercise.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Caper made me SUCH a PROUD MOMMA today!!!   Caper made me SUCH a PROUD MOMMA today!!! EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 1:55 pm

Lol! I love it when Dizzy puts himself to bed. Its about a 15 min walk home from daycare so we walk home, feed him, he gets a drink and puts himself to bed. After a nap in his crate, he'll come out to his other bed and enjoy a bully stick. It has really cut down on the puppy biting stuff too. Aside from being tired, he's just more fulfilled and happy that he gets to be with other dogs all day. Now when we go to the dog park, he's the one that is sending all the calming signals. Smile
Back to top Go down
NewComer
Puppy
Puppy
NewComer

PostSubject: Re: Caper made me SUCH a PROUD MOMMA today!!!   Caper made me SUCH a PROUD MOMMA today!!! EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 4:14 am

Lol, it's a miracle worker I tell you! How many times a week do you do it? I'm thinking of doing it twice a week to start off with, it's just a bit expensive at $35 a day. I really like the place we started going to though, it has a webcam that I can watch him on from my phone (which totally feeds my obsessive need to know how he is doing, lol). I love that even his speed of tail wag and licking is slowed down when I come to pick him up in the evening Smile
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Caper made me SUCH a PROUD MOMMA today!!!   Caper made me SUCH a PROUD MOMMA today!!! EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 8:08 am

We love day care for our pups.. They end up going about once a week to once every two weeks. A lot of it depends on the weather. Very Happy  I can't believe it cost you that much we pay 35.00 a day for two dogs..
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Caper made me SUCH a PROUD MOMMA today!!!   Caper made me SUCH a PROUD MOMMA today!!! EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 9:43 am

He goes 2-3 days a week. 2 is enough, but my hubby travels so every now and then I send him for a third. This week he went Monday, yesterday and today. My hubby is flying out to Indy this am, so Dizzy went to daycare. :)Everything here is expensive. Their normal rate is $45 a day, but I buy a 10 pack for $390, so it works out to $39 a day. I was paying a walker $20 for an hour play/walk session 5 days a week, so I stopped the walker and do daycare instead and the cost is about the same, but the daycare is so much more beneficial for him.

Edit - I should clarify that my hubby normally works from home when not traveling, so he walks Dizzy during the day.

Last edited by wpskier222 on Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Caper made me SUCH a PROUD MOMMA today!!!   Caper made me SUCH a PROUD MOMMA today!!! EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 9:56 am

NewComer wrote:
Seems like there must be a dog-socialization component that needs to happen along with the physical exercise component on a daily basis to truly tire him out, which doesn't always get emphasized when people talk about husky exercise.
I think you are absolutely right about this. Even an hour at the dog park will take the edge off his behavior. I notice he is much more content after dog-socialization, so its contentment vs. exhaustion. I guess they are team dogs, so we should consider that when discussing their needs, but it never occurred to me before. Whenever I've had dogs in the past, I always had more than one, but Dizzy is an only child and will be for at least a few years, so I need to fulfill this need as well. Smile
Back to top Go down
NewComer
Puppy
Puppy
NewComer

PostSubject: Re: Caper made me SUCH a PROUD MOMMA today!!!   Caper made me SUCH a PROUD MOMMA today!!! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 12:06 am

ljelgin wrote:
I can't believe it cost you that much we pay 35.00 a day for two dogs..
Yep, that's the high costs of california living for you. I can only imagine what it's like in nyc. I bought a 20 pack to bring the cost down to $28/d, but am still chuckling to myself that it's more than the human daycare rate of $10-15/d.

wpskier222 wrote:
NewComer wrote:
Seems like there must be a dog-socialization component that needs to happen along with the physical exercise component on a daily basis to truly tire him out, which doesn't always get emphasized when people talk about husky exercise.

I think you are absolutely right about this. Even an hour at the dog park will take the edge off his behavior. I notice he is much more content after dog-socialization, so its contentment vs. exhaustion. I guess they are team dogs, so we should consider that when discussing their needs, but it never occurred to me before. Whenever I've had dogs in the past, I always had more than one, but Dizzy is an only child and will be for at least a few years, so I need to fulfill this need as well.
Yes, contentment = calm, well-behaved husky. exhausted = temporarily incapacitated husky. Caper will also probably be an only child for at least a few years so the weekly daycare and dog parking will be a permanent part of our schedules, along with play dates if we can find a good match. I've considered getting a second dog.. when people hear this they warn me "it's like kids - having two is more than twice the work" so I'm sitting tight for now Smile
Back to top Go down
phoenix.solis
Newborn
Newborn
phoenix.solis

Female Join date : 2013-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Caper made me SUCH a PROUD MOMMA today!!!   Caper made me SUCH a PROUD MOMMA today!!! EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 1:45 am

I wish there was a doggie daycare here (and a cheap one at that!) I think that would make all the difference with Chess and his constant crying! He gets plenty of exercise. He goes on 2 mile runs with my neighbor every single day! Plus he's about to start exercising with me in the mornings. He plays during the day when he's not asleep but he still cries and cries. Doggie Daycare seems to be what he needs
Back to top Go down
NewComer
Puppy
Puppy
NewComer

PostSubject: Re: Caper made me SUCH a PROUD MOMMA today!!!   Caper made me SUCH a PROUD MOMMA today!!! EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 1:49 am

How old is Chess and how long has he been crying?
Back to top Go down
phoenix.solis
Newborn
Newborn
phoenix.solis

Female Join date : 2013-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Caper made me SUCH a PROUD MOMMA today!!!   Caper made me SUCH a PROUD MOMMA today!!! EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 1:56 am

He's just over a year old and he's been doing this for a couple of days now. Its mostly in the evenings.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Caper made me SUCH a PROUD MOMMA today!!!   Caper made me SUCH a PROUD MOMMA today!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Caper made me SUCH a PROUD MOMMA today!!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1