It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

potty training question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
maya-n-dakota
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2013-07-31

potty training question Empty
PostSubject: potty training question   potty training question EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 11:16 am

What is the proper way to discipline for accidents in the house? She was let out at 6:30 am and went pee and poop. When my girlfriend brought her in she pooped again. When I got home at 7 am from work I took her and Maya for a 5-6 mile walk and she peed a number of times and pooped once. About 20 mins after we got home she peed on a blanket. I caught her in the act and gave a stern "NO" and immediately placed her in her cage and covered it.

She has been doing so good. We take her and Maya out about 10 times a day, is this not enough? She is 6 months old. And after going potty we give a treat everytime and praise her. Ok or not recommended? Never had issues like this with maya. When she does go in the house do I need to take her outside right away afterwards or is caging the proper step? I could see if she was excited but after the big walk she was fizzled out almost asleep. She then got up from where she was laying and started peeing. Hmmm please give me me good guidance, thanks for the time, have a great day
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

potty training question Empty
PostSubject: Re: potty training question   potty training question EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 4:04 pm

IAHT - Potty Training

Found in Huskies 101 on the right side of the page in a widget.

maya-n-dakota wrote:
I caught her in the act and gave a stern "NO" and immediately placed her in her cage and covered it.
Crating for discipline is never a good idea. It tends to express the fact that when your puppy is bad they get put into this cage.... So when you need to put them into a crate when you leave the house for any reason, you're placing them in the same area you use to punish them.

It's a bit confusing to say the least..... It can add a layer of stress, instead of the calmer and more relaxed demeanor you tend to be looking for at those moments. It could end up being a detriment is all, and may cause issues with crate training, or a regression in it.

maya-n-dakota wrote:
She was let out at 6:30 am and went pee and poop. When my girlfriend brought her in she pooped again. When I got home at 7 am from work I took her and Maya for a 5-6 mile walk and she peed a number of times and pooped once. About 20 mins after we got home she peed on a blanket.

It goes without saying, a quick marking and a true stream are two very different things.

Just because your pup squatted a bunch of times on a walk doesn't necessarily mean they are running on empty. Make sure it is a prolonged elimination to avoid accidents. Once done praise and make a big deal out of it.

maya-n-dakota wrote:
She has been doing so good. We take her and Maya out about 10 times a day, is this not enough? She is 6 months old.
It is very normal for a puppy to regress in potty training at some points, even if you are supper vigilant on it, and even still past that accidents can and will happen.

I'm pretty sure almost all my dogs over the years have regressed around the 6 month mark and started peeing in the house again all of a sudden... I just clean the spot super well, and start retraining.

maya-n-dakota wrote:
And after going potty we give a treat everytime and praise her. Ok or not recommended? Never had issues like this with maya. When she does go in the house do I need to take her outside right away afterwards or is caging the proper step?
How ever you want to reward or praise for going outside is fine.... We used excited tones, and mark it with a command word.... Teek I can pretty much get to pee on command if she can or has to, that being said accidents can and do happen.

I've picked up dogs mid stream to pop them outside..... Makes for more clean up, but it can get the point across... Apart from that the only thing you can do is be more proactive. Tether (umbilical) the pup to you while in the house so she can't sneak off and pee. If you notice her start to get anxious maybe pop her outside. don't set her up to fail... Remove the ability to free drink until she is able to hold it a bit more....

On an outside shot you can also have her checked for a UTI... One of the side effects is an increase in elimination and can lead to a lot of accidents, and isn't all that uncommon in pups.

Read the thread I linked as there is a lot of good info there.....

~Chris~

potty training question

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1