It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Quick Update on Finley - He Is Not a Great Ball Catcher

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tsfrance
Puppy
Puppy

Male Join date : 2013-07-16

Quick Update on Finley - He Is Not a Great Ball Catcher Empty
PostSubject: Quick Update on Finley - He Is Not a Great Ball Catcher   Quick Update on Finley - He Is Not a Great Ball Catcher EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 4:53 pm

Well Finley is 41 pounds now and growing like a weed. Yes, he is a handful, that's for sure. He is just over 4 months. We have not been able to get him into a obedience class yet because he has not had his last round of shots. He still is a very mouthy dog and will put his teeth on your skin when he is excited or playing. I don't feel he is mean in any way though but the biting has really frustrating as we have tried everything we have read on the internet. Giving him a toy when he is in a biting mood, the gentle neck pull, saying no bite and a few others that have escaped me right now.

One thing I have noticed and wanted to bring up here to see if it's pretty common in Huskies is that no matter how hard he tries, he is a terrible ball fetcher and catcher! I do these simple bounces off the concrete and every now and then he will get one but sometimes I think it's pure luck. Even chasing the ball he seems pretty clumsy and for a mouthy dog, sometimes he is not even close to the ball, it's pretty funny but we keep trying.

Since we are waiting on the last round of shots we still can't walk him. For exercise at least a couple times a day I get him on the back lawn and he does some pretty serious running. That seems to help him settle down a bit. I can't wait until we get to walk him. One thing about the running though is that he can be running full speed and all of a sudden he will start yelping and crying like he is in massive pain. I believe that he steps in one of the little inperfections in the lawn that he has created and turns his paw. The crying will last about 30 seconds and then he is right back at it again as if nothing ever happened. It's happened 3-4 times now.

Sometimes night time is a problem also because he never really wants to come in and sleep inside and we don't want him out on the lawn all night. We do have a secure fence but it does not have concrete under it so we just don't trust the little guy. He really seems to love it outside at nighttime. I can see him just laying out and staring at the sky. Airplanes seems to capture his attention also. He loves following them. Our bedroom has a sliding door out to the lawn so he is never far from us. I usually let him out until about around 11 pm and then I go out and get him. If he has been sleeping he is very hard to get in. Sometimes I get him in and shut the door and he will paw it a few times and then lay down for the night. Once in awhile, such as last night, he will not give up and last night at about 1am we just gave up and let him sleep on the lawn but we don't really like it. A few nights ago I woke up around 1am and was tossing and turning. He has a doggy bed on my side of the room but he had moved off it and was actually sleeping under the bed. He must have heard me moving and he raised up his head quickly and hit it against the bed frame. Then the yelping began! You would have though someone cut his leg off. He stopped after about ten seconds and i gave him some good love and he went back to sleep but sometimes he can be just like a child.

I guess things are progressing about as normal except for the mouthing and biting. Obedience classes soon.

Tom

Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Quick Update on Finley - He Is Not a Great Ball Catcher   Quick Update on Finley - He Is Not a Great Ball Catcher EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 5:46 pm

Yes. It is common for huskies not to fetch. Loki does really well in the house. He rarely plays outside, but will at times. Usually he just chases my other dog back and forth who loves to fetch outside. The clumsy part is him just being a puppy. That is normal.

Look up flirt pole. Loki likes that better then fetch. But, until he is older, don't let him jump for the toy.

What they do when they are young will be a habit. If he shouldn't sleep outside, don't let him. Find out what he loves and use that to get him inside at night. It changed with Loki, but I had 3 types of treats and 2 different toys that usually worked. Put the toys up so they seem new a lot. When he starts to make his way in, then use words like come and inside. If his recall is still bad, leave him on long lead so you can retrieve him if he isn't listening.

Finally, Loki cries more then my other dogs did. I can bump him and he whines about it.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Quick Update on Finley - He Is Not a Great Ball Catcher   Quick Update on Finley - He Is Not a Great Ball Catcher EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 6:14 pm

have you had his eyes checked? i know ours suck at fetch but love to play catch, does he do ok catching food mid air or is it just the ball? as for the yelps, have you had his paws checked? everything else sounds like puppy

Teenager
Teenager
Clm

Male Join date : 2012-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Quick Update on Finley - He Is Not a Great Ball Catcher   Quick Update on Finley - He Is Not a Great Ball Catcher EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 7:13 pm

blu is terrible at fetch, i throw the ball he runs get's it... then throws it in the air to catch it again and continues to play with it like a cat with a dead mouse lol. i only get it when he realizes that he cant throw it as far as me. Quick Update on Finley - He Is Not a Great Ball Catcher 1625187496 

but it's all good fun, you can try teaching him to play fetch. it takes more work for huskies im told than other breeds, simply say fetch when you throw the ball, then use your recall when he gets it then the drop it cue when he comes to you. i tought blu this when he was younger but i gave up on it because watching him playing with it is just too funny.
Back to top Go down
tsfrance
Puppy
Puppy

Male Join date : 2013-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Quick Update on Finley - He Is Not a Great Ball Catcher   Quick Update on Finley - He Is Not a Great Ball Catcher EmptyWed Aug 28, 2013 3:26 pm

Thanks all for the replies, I appreciate it. Im pretty comfortable his eyes are fine but I will pay attention to it. The other night I was on the lawn with him and about 20 feet away was a moth on the side of the house and he looked up saw it, ran over jumped up and ate it in about 5 seconds. It's things like that which make me think the eyes are good. Yuck, a moth! I haven't really tried tossing food to him. When he goes to the vet in a week for his last round of shots, we will have the paws checked.

Back to top Go down
moto1087
Teenager
Teenager
moto1087

Male Join date : 2013-07-08

PostSubject: Re: Quick Update on Finley - He Is Not a Great Ball Catcher   Quick Update on Finley - He Is Not a Great Ball Catcher EmptyWed Aug 28, 2013 3:31 pm

rikku wont play fetch either... well that is a lie... she plays fetch the dog... i throw the ball for the gf;s boston terrier and and she will chase the ball and rikky will chase her lol...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quick Update on Finley - He Is Not a Great Ball Catcher   Quick Update on Finley - He Is Not a Great Ball Catcher Empty

Back to top Go down

Quick Update on Finley - He Is Not a Great Ball Catcher

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1