It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

No more using my Alpine Mushers Belt!! -Updated with what they did for me.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

No more using my Alpine Mushers Belt!! -Updated with what they did for me. Empty
PostSubject: No more using my Alpine Mushers Belt!! -Updated with what they did for me.   No more using my Alpine Mushers Belt!! -Updated with what they did for me. EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 7:24 pm

So I just took Siku for a run and we were just getting ready to leave so I bent down to tie my shoe and next thing I know Siku is gone. He hit the belt just right and it came completely off me and he is runnng around in circles so there were still two people sill their from the soccer practice so I asked if they had food, luckily they had a butterfinger (he didn't actually get it) but so I thought I had him with that and he runs past me out of the gate into the road and takes of toward home! Ughhh! Thank god the belt made a noise following behind him so he stopped and I was able to get his attention before he continied down towards the Maine road. I am so sick of nothing being husky proof its starting to reallt scare me. Anyone with mushers belt that this happens too? I just dont know how to modify it to make it work. That was way to scary tonight!

Last edited by siku&nikolai on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:01 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

No more using my Alpine Mushers Belt!! -Updated with what they did for me. Empty
PostSubject: Re: No more using my Alpine Mushers Belt!! -Updated with what they did for me.   No more using my Alpine Mushers Belt!! -Updated with what they did for me. EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 7:49 pm

http://www.alpineoutfitters.net/secure/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=111
this belt?

http://stores.adanacsleds.com/-strse-30/Skijor-Belt-%28lightweight%2C-contoured%2C/Detail.bok
i have this belt and LOVE it once my friend added more padding to it. the panic snap is a POS and i almost lost our 2 with it just opening on me somehow. i now just look the end of the line through the strap and the only way they are coming off is if that unhooks and the end snap falls off. i like the belt cause it has the main body snap and then the smaller top snap for the lines. it lets them go from side to side on the movement.

http://www.alpineoutfitters.net/secure/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=99
claudia has this belt and he likes that it keeps the movement in center all the time.

in the end sometimes it comes down to you get what you pay for and i have learned its best to pay more upfront then go cheap have it break and then pay for the more $$ thing.

glad you got siku

Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

PostSubject: Re: No more using my Alpine Mushers Belt!! -Updated with what they did for me.   No more using my Alpine Mushers Belt!! -Updated with what they did for me. EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 7:58 pm

Thank you, I will look into the belt that you have! I have the belt that Claudia has except with the leg loops which i obvioisly dont want to use while running and im scared now that isnt sturdy enough without the leg loops. The lady at alpine swore that the mushers belts were super safe and she has never had one break or come off, I don't think she has huskies... haha. I swear this dog has gotten lose more than most huskies do in a lifetime. Its taken probay twenty years off my life already and he is only two. Luckily I was lucky enough to get him back again, I'm just not sure how much more luck I will get an I don't want to take anymore chances.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: No more using my Alpine Mushers Belt!! -Updated with what they did for me.   No more using my Alpine Mushers Belt!! -Updated with what they did for me. EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 8:05 pm

I use the SASS walking belt and love it!
http://www.sassdogequipment.co.uk/dog-walking-belt/

Never tried the alpine but I personally love my comfy cushion belt xD
Back to top Go down
CaliaKisses
Puppy
Puppy
CaliaKisses

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: No more using my Alpine Mushers Belt!! -Updated with what they did for me.   No more using my Alpine Mushers Belt!! -Updated with what they did for me. EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 8:34 pm

Wow, that must have been scary, glad you managed to catch Siku before something bad happened.

This is the belt I've been using for the past 3+ yrs and love it: http://www.canadog.ca/canicross-hands-free-walking-belt/

The clip for the belt goes between the straps that the dog is attached to, so even if the clip does come undone there's still a full loop around your waist to keep the dog on you. I also love the fact that it has a pocket (great for cellphone or poop bags), a bottle holder, and extra D-rings on the sides for hands free, loose leash walking.
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: No more using my Alpine Mushers Belt!! -Updated with what they did for me.   No more using my Alpine Mushers Belt!! -Updated with what they did for me. EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 12:08 am

Oh man that is scary! I have the musher's belt and have never had any issues with it. The little tooth clamp is so tight I have a hard time opening it to loop the buckle through just to get it on. :/

jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: No more using my Alpine Mushers Belt!! -Updated with what they did for me.   No more using my Alpine Mushers Belt!! -Updated with what they did for me. EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 2:14 am

I use a Nordkyn Skijor belt and have never had any problem with it.
It's lasted through two dogs.
I did replace the panic snap with a locking carabiner.
My panic is not "I'm in so much trouble that I'll let the dog go", but I'd panic IF the dog got loose.

Glad you got Siku back. I know that sheer terror when they are zooming free.
Back to top Go down
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: No more using my Alpine Mushers Belt!! -Updated with what they did for me.   No more using my Alpine Mushers Belt!! -Updated with what they did for me. EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 9:00 am

I agree, if an emergency release from your dog is not needed, change it out for a more solid connection. However, the "old safety guy" in me has to also mention that we all know even the best trained dog can bolt for any kind of unknown reason and if you are not strong enough to overpower your dog a safety release could save you from serious injury.
Incidentally, I use a belt from Ultra paws. The release for this belt is (of all things) Velcro. This might sound worse than the metal panic snaps (this is what I thought when I first read it) but it's really much stronger than you would think. Should the release need to be opened a rope "rip cord" is pulled and the connection is broke. The other bonus is no leg straps, the belt has a tacky kind of backing that helps keep it in place, no ride up.
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

PostSubject: Re: No more using my Alpine Mushers Belt!! -Updated with what they did for me.   No more using my Alpine Mushers Belt!! -Updated with what they did for me. EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 9:15 am

simplify wrote:
Oh man that is scary! I have the musher's belt and have never had any issues with it. The little tooth clamp is so tight I have a hard time opening it to loop the buckle through just to get it on. :/
Seriously? Mine has never been hard to open and I guess thats why when they hit it right the belt losens. If thats the case I might email them today, cause that sucks that I got the latch that isn't tight.

It only ever happens when he runs out sideways. Which is what happened when he ran to see my boyfriend.

Edit: I just emailed Claire at Alpine (who is the best!), and she is sending me something that goes through the O rings and then attaches in the front or something to take the pull from the sides, to pull in the middle or something like that. I don't really get it but I'm sure when I see whatever it is, I will be able to figure out how to use it. I really do love their products and it bummed me out big time, but she is so great with fixing everything, that I hope this works.
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

PostSubject: Re: No more using my Alpine Mushers Belt!! -Updated with what they did for me.   No more using my Alpine Mushers Belt!! -Updated with what they did for me. EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 11:00 am

So after I mentioned it to Claire, they were beyond great and helpful. I don't know why I ever doubted them. I know a lot of people on this site have had problems with them, but I just think they have such amazing customer service and really care. Here is the email that I received back after telling her about my mushers belt coming off. I really didn't expect anything of it. I just emailed her to see if she had an idea about tweaking it to make sure it never comes off. Never did I think they would go this far, and I am so thankful!

Hi -

Regarding your musher's belt, we had a meeting and our design team spent a great deal of time going over it.  You are absolutely correct in that the clasp somehow failed causing it to be much looser than any clasp we have ever come across and we were able to replicate the same slipping action of the strap that you did.  We have literally sold thousands of these musher's belts over the years and have not experienced a case like yours - ever.  Just so you know, all of us here at Alpine are so upset that this happened to you and even one time is simply too many times in our eyes.  Because this happened, our design team came up with an added safety feature we will incorporate into every musher's belt made from now on. We will stitch the end of the strap over, like we do on our urban trail harnesses, so in the unlikely event the clasp weakens and the strap slips, the end of the strap will catch in the clasp's 'teeth' and prevent the strap from coming completely undone.  

We have shipped a new musher's belt to you, with the new safety feature, and you should receive it in the next few days.  Please let us know what you think when you receive it, ok?

We truly apologize about this.  Please know we have taken your concern to heart and greatly appreciate the fact you brought it to our attention.

I mean, thats a pretty great email and luckily nothing happened to Siku and I will continue to be a customer to them. I guess I some how just got the unlucky latch, but It was never that tight, so I'm sure that everyone who has one now, is fine.
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: No more using my Alpine Mushers Belt!! -Updated with what they did for me.   No more using my Alpine Mushers Belt!! -Updated with what they did for me. EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 1:27 pm

That's pretty fantastic customer service if you ask me!

I have the musher's belt and have never had a problem. I replaced both ends with carabiners and am very pleased with it.

When did you order your original belt?
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: No more using my Alpine Mushers Belt!! -Updated with what they did for me.   No more using my Alpine Mushers Belt!! -Updated with what they did for me. EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 1:30 pm

That is fantastic as well! If I needed to order a belt, now I'd be intrigued to buy one! Although who really needs /two/ walking belts..
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

PostSubject: Re: No more using my Alpine Mushers Belt!! -Updated with what they did for me.   No more using my Alpine Mushers Belt!! -Updated with what they did for me. EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 1:45 pm

I ordered my belt probably like 6 months ago or so. I'm excited/a little nervous to get my new one! I will be sure to let you guys know how it works!
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: No more using my Alpine Mushers Belt!! -Updated with what they did for me.   No more using my Alpine Mushers Belt!! -Updated with what they did for me. EmptyMon Dec 23, 2013 11:54 pm

That was very nice of them! I have the same belt and have never had a problem with it.

No more using my Alpine Mushers Belt!! -Updated with what they did for me. Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

Female Join date : 2013-05-26

PostSubject: Re: No more using my Alpine Mushers Belt!! -Updated with what they did for me.   No more using my Alpine Mushers Belt!! -Updated with what they did for me. EmptyTue Dec 24, 2013 1:41 pm

So pretty much this exact thing has happened to me... Okami will bolt so hard that the belt will come undone. How do I go about telling them about my problem belt as well to perhaps obtain one of their better ones... cause I am scared to lose my precious furry friend.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: No more using my Alpine Mushers Belt!! -Updated with what they did for me.   No more using my Alpine Mushers Belt!! -Updated with what they did for me. EmptyTue Dec 24, 2013 10:28 pm

Mine does the same thing. And it doesn't help that I have 3 attached to it I'm sure. I'm gonna have to email them and see what they say because I don't use it since it worries me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No more using my Alpine Mushers Belt!! -Updated with what they did for me.   No more using my Alpine Mushers Belt!! -Updated with what they did for me. Empty

Back to top Go down

No more using my Alpine Mushers Belt!! -Updated with what they did for me.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1