It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Link and Recent Behaviors

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

Link and Recent Behaviors - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Link and Recent Behaviors   Link and Recent Behaviors - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 11:06 am

wpskier222 wrote:

Mobezilla wrote:

wpskier222 wrote:
Good luck! I hope he's okay. Smile
Thanks!

I got an email from the vet, they said about $310 for an OFA prelim. Although since another friend suggested to do the laxity test first, I emailed them back asking about that and hopefully I can get an appointment done within the next couple weeks!
That seems like a lot. I got Dizzy's hip prelims, plus knees and lower back (seemed like about 10-12 films total) under anesthesia for $273, and everything here in the city is extra super expensive.
Hmm, thanks for the input, I may keep searching then.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Link and Recent Behaviors   Link and Recent Behaviors - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 12:18 am

Just keeping everyone updated. I am still searching around for vets but seems impossible. So far I've only gotten ahold of the one OFA pre-lim vet and they sound like my best bet, but I have yet to hear back on if they do laxity tests. Will be calling them in the morning.

Link has not bikejored since sunday, sunday my mushing mentor came over and said she thought Link looked fine and that his harness looked fine, and he ran fine. It was my first time using my 2-dog line, I think the bungee definitely helped absorb the shock and wasn't so hard on his joints. I still have a gut feeling somethings wrong so I do want to get him checked out.

Behavior this week overall has been good, no jumping or aggression until today he got really hyped up and tried to jump on me while growling, but calmed down within a moment. I have not been able to figure out if its a play growl or not, I don't think he means any harm but he tries to bite at my arm when he does it and its a bit concerning, he only does it when he gets major zoomies and really hyped up. Overall I think not biking has helped him a lot, he doesn't seem grumpy at all this week but I haven't pushed him and messed with him unless he asks for it.

On another note of bad news, Yuki's brother's owner posted a picture to the group of his husky which appears to have juvenile cataracts. Needless to say, when I call the vet I will also be asking them if they will do a OFA-eye exam on Yuki. Will update this tomorrow if I find out anything from the vet or get an appointment.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Link and Recent Behaviors   Link and Recent Behaviors - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 12:26 am

Definitely get yourself Care Credit. You don't need a line of credit, and even though it may not be a lot, it will help. The first time I applied, I got over $2,000. This last time I applied, I make LESS then I did before, and I only got $500. So, it's kind of a crap shoot what you'll end up with, but the more you have in your corner, the better. Have you thought about Pet Assure as well??
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Link and Recent Behaviors   Link and Recent Behaviors - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 12:49 am

Rigbyjek wrote:
Our office accepts "care credit" - you should look into getting one! Its like a credit card that has 6 months no interest and not only do some vets offices use it, dentists and other places take it too... Just something to look into to help you out financially! Smile
Sheba&Kennedy wrote:
Definitely get yourself Care Credit. You don't need a line of credit, and even though it may not be a lot, it will help. The first time I applied, I got over $2,000. This last time I applied, I make LESS then I did before, and I only got $500. So, it's kind of a crap shoot what you'll end up with, but the more you have in your corner, the better. Have you thought about Pet Assure as well??
Thanks to these two suggestions I did apply to CareCredit and got approved, I will use it sparingly but thank you I am still trying to fix my car so honestly even if it means paying interest I really do need something to help me out right now while everythings being dumped on me. Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Link and Recent Behaviors   Link and Recent Behaviors - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 12:55 am

Have you thought about checking around in michigan for a vet who could do these procedures? There are a few and they tend to be pretty affordable.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Link and Recent Behaviors   Link and Recent Behaviors - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 1:17 am

mbarnard0429 wrote:
Have you thought about checking around in michigan for a vet who could do these procedures? There are a few and they tend to be pretty affordable.
I have not, my car is broken so a friend will be driving me to the one vet which is only 30min away. She can't drive much farther than that due to some physical injuries. Seems like I just need to move to Michigan Razz
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Link and Recent Behaviors   Link and Recent Behaviors - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 2:21 am

Everyone needs to move here....I love this state lol
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Link and Recent Behaviors   Link and Recent Behaviors - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 11:26 am

Lol but I wanna go westttt. I did email a vet, asking about laxity tests, OFA hips, OFA eyes, and if they accepted care credit, and all they told me was their regular exam fee and that yes they accept care credit. Thanks guys, that helped soo much. I email most the time so I can make a list of things to ask and not forget anything and it seems they don't even take the time to read it.
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Link and Recent Behaviors   Link and Recent Behaviors - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 1:32 pm

I assume you checked Dr. Lonnie Davis at Troy Animal Hospital in Troy, Ohio since you said 1/2 north of you?
Will FB PM you in a second or so for my vet who does laxity and OFA hips and has a recommend for OFA eye.

Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Link and Recent Behaviors   Link and Recent Behaviors - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 3:27 pm

Thanks to Colleen for the suggestions.
Link has an appointment with the vet this Saturday, they could get me in tomorrow but since I can't drive Saturday seemed to work best. I will be doing a normal exam and then we will further discuss the laxity test and if she thinks it is needed.
Back to top Go down
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: Link and Recent Behaviors   Link and Recent Behaviors - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 7:40 pm

Well best of luck and I hope you get your car back soon too!
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Link and Recent Behaviors   Link and Recent Behaviors - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 7:55 pm

Hughie wrote:
Well best of luck and I hope you get your car back soon too!
Thanks, thats a work in progress Razz at least I work close to home so its not too big of an inconvenience, except for times like these.
Back to top Go down
Rigbyjek
Puppy
Puppy
Rigbyjek

PostSubject: Re: Link and Recent Behaviors   Link and Recent Behaviors - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 8:47 pm

Sounds like everything is starting to fall into place! Good luck! Please keep us posted! Smile
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Link and Recent Behaviors   Link and Recent Behaviors - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 8:53 pm

Just to keep everyone updated, we had a vet visit today. The vet messed with his hips and back legs, and felt along his spine, he didn't react to any of it. So now we're back to square one, either its a behavior thing, or his joints were reacting to the cold (because it was colder a couple weeks ago), or there's something I'm missing. I did take him on a bike ride yesterday too so he would react to any pain if he was sore, but he didn't.

We will be getting x-rays done next week, she said since I won't be breeding him we'll do normal OFA x-rays but won't be sending it into OFA, just looking at the x-rays and getting the vets opinion. Also going to get the laxity test done then, when he's already under sedation.

From the vets visit, everything looks okay, and honestly I'd rather spend the money on tests and have nothing be wrong, than to unknowingly injure him further if something were wrong. Here's to hoping the x-rays look fine!

Link and Recent Behaviors - Page 2 Pups36_zps8ab7926d
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Link and Recent Behaviors   Link and Recent Behaviors - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 9:11 pm

That's good news Megan, congrats. Good to know Red Link is okay on that front. I'm looking forward to hear how the OFA results come in. We are definitely gonna do Grey Link when he's 2+.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Link and Recent Behaviors   Link and Recent Behaviors - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 9:14 pm

seattlesibe wrote:
That's good news Megan, congrats.  Good to know Red Link is okay on that front.  I'm looking forward to hear how the OFA results come in.  We are definitely gonna do Grey Link when he's 2+.
Yup Link is 3 months away from 2 years old, but the vet said shes gonna do the regular OFA test but since he's neutered and we're not breeding, we're not sending them into OFA hehe. So no prelims and can't wait to see what it comes back as! Will make me happier to bike him knowing I'm not injuring him.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Link and Recent Behaviors   Link and Recent Behaviors - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 9:16 pm

Yeah, no kidding. Wishing you and him the best. We love Red Link. He's in my top 3 IAHT favorites, hands down Smile
Back to top Go down
GeorginaMay
Teenager
Teenager
GeorginaMay

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Link and Recent Behaviors   Link and Recent Behaviors - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 9:29 pm

I'm glad to hear that your first vet visit went well and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you for the next one! Link is lucky that he got rescued by such a proactive mum Smile
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Link and Recent Behaviors   Link and Recent Behaviors - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 9:31 pm

GeorginaMay wrote:
Link is lucky that he got rescued by such a proactive mum Smile
Very well said Smile
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Link and Recent Behaviors   Link and Recent Behaviors - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 10:26 pm

seattlesibe wrote:
Yeah, no kidding.  Wishing you and him the best.  We love Red Link.  He's in my top 3 IAHT favorites, hands down Smile
Awh thank you!! And I'll start calling your Link 'grey Link' then? I was just calling him Link #1 and mine Link #2, and Grey Link is def in my top 3 too! I definitely want to come out to Seattle one day and meet you guys Smile

GeorginaMay wrote:
I'm glad to hear that your first vet visit went well and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you for the next one! Link is lucky that he got rescued by such a proactive mum Smile
I'm in love with this vet, never thought I'd fine one like her. And I don't like to act like I saved him from a horrible life, but I do feel like fate played a hand in getting him to me, and we've come such a long way together I can't help but feel proud. Thank you so much, it means a lot to me!

seattlesibe wrote:

GeorginaMay wrote:
Link is lucky that he got rescued by such a proactive mum Smile
Very well said Smile
Thank you again Smile I am very happy to have him, my bank account certainly doesn't agree, but they are all worth every penny.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Link and Recent Behaviors   Link and Recent Behaviors - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 10:55 pm

Fingers crossed everything comes back fine!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Link and Recent Behaviors   Link and Recent Behaviors - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 11:21 pm

Sheba&Kennedy wrote:
Fingers crossed everything comes back fine!
Thanks, me too!! I'm all debating 'am I crazy for spending money on these x-rays?' but then I'd know I'd just hate myself if I didn't get it checked out and something happened. Also forgot to mention this estimate is only $260, and it'll only be $225 if he doesn't need anesthesia, MUCH better than the $1,000 penhipp estimate from the other vet lol.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Link and Recent Behaviors   Link and Recent Behaviors - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 12:21 am

Just to keep everyone updated. Yesterday a friend took us to the dog park, we haven't been since Abby took us to the meet on sunday 10/27. He hasn't been biking since friday 11/1, where I purposefully took him out so he would be more likely to show any signs of soreness to the vet. Which he didn't, and didn't seem sore or grumpy in any way, but he did have Yuki with him and the run wasn't very long, maybe 10min max.

Back to yesterday, we spent a couple hours at the park, and then we got some human food and went home. My friends husky kept persistently trying to play with Link, and he kept ignoring her and obviously showing signs he did not want to play. He gave her a few warning nips, nothing serious but 'hey I don't want to play'. Her husky is the typical doesn't know when to give up so I ended up crating him so that way he could relax and feel comfortable. My friend thought he definitely seemed different and that something was up, at the park he can play with her hours on end normally and not care.

And then today, any time Yuki or Cloud has tried to play with him, he has snapped at them every time they get near his rear end and has slept the entire day, when just a few days ago he was doing major zoomies. So even though the vet thought he felt fine, I'm glad we're still getting the x-rays done to see whats up. Here's to what the x-rays show Thursday!
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Link and Recent Behaviors   Link and Recent Behaviors - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 2:13 am

Good luck. Hope you figure this out soon Sad
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Link and Recent Behaviors   Link and Recent Behaviors - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 10:02 pm

Dot wrote:
Good luck. Hope you figure this out soon Sad
Thank you. Only 12 hours until my baby goes in.. as much as I don't want there to be something wrong, I hope there is something conclusive there other than 'its just him being grumpy'.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Link and Recent Behaviors   Link and Recent Behaviors - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Link and Recent Behaviors

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next