It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ccurran07
Teenager
Teenager
ccurran07

Female Join date : 2013-07-21

Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions Empty
PostSubject: Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions   Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 6:37 pm

I don't know if anyone has heard of this kennel, but I stumbled on them through another breeders website. They have some foundation stock from Huskavarna, Jo-Kar, Sibersong and Pushinka.
Show and sledding dogs.

I seriously am in love with every dog they have. I emailed them about planned breedings (they have two planned for 2014)

My question is this: does anyone know what shipping or traveling with a dog from Canada would entail? I'm assuming extra health certificates and such, which is definitely something to consider in the cost of the pup. Also I don't know if that puppy bill will prevent that from even being an option?

Also one litter is via artificial insemination as the sire is dead. I don't know why but I was a little surprised by that lol.

Would you ship or go there and fly back with the pup? Remember I'm in Maine, all the way across the country!
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions   Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 6:44 pm

Generally, taking dogs across the Canada/US border is relatively easy. Grown dogs you just need proof of Rabies vacc. I don't know how it works for a puppy though. As for the travel, I would avoid putting a dog on an airplane at all costs and only fly back with the pup if you can bring him in the cabin with you. Dogs on airplanes is a scary situation. Just do a quick Google search and you'll find horror stories.

Also, I know you are excited, but you just got your puppy. Maybe wait a year before deciding if you want to go the puppy route again. Siberian puppy-hood can be...an experience. Razz 
Back to top Go down
ccurran07
Teenager
Teenager
ccurran07

PostSubject: Re: Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions   Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 7:01 pm

Oh I'm not even planning on getting one til she's closer to two. I'm just doing some searching on show kennels!
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions   Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 7:17 pm

All their dogs are really gorgeous! Shocked 
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions   Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 9:04 pm

As for the artificial insemination....I've heard of it in the horse world. You have a great sire and he's amazing and exactly what you want in your kennel. And you want more of his offspring. That's how that comes about. In the horse world, they actually auction off the seamen to other people to use with their mares.
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions   Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 3:47 pm

I agree with Sara, about not flying the puppy in anything other than the cabin. But at that age and weight, a lot of airlines will let you fly with him in the cabin. and not have to have him stored if that ever happens for you.

Those dogs are so beautiful.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions   Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 4:06 pm

I researched the flying thing a lot when I was getting Dizzy. The original breeder I was considering was Karnovanda in MI. The reason I chose my breeder is because she was within driving distance. Sure there are horror stories, but overall, I got the impression that most of the time everything was okay. Yes, they were dirty and had messed in the crate on the way, but most were no worse for the wear, and most had no long term issues.

To cross into the US, the pup would require a certificate of health within a certain time frame from the travel date (I believe it's one week). To fly on board the plane as a carry on, the pup must be at least 10 weeks old and fit in an approved carrier. Delta seemed to have the most under-seat room and the largest carriers. I purchased one for my pups ride home from the breeder, and at 9 weeks he barely fit in it, now I use it as his travel bag for food/treats/etc. There is also a fee, I believe around $80-$90 for the carry on.

To ship the puppy as cargo, the cost is around $400 (that was domestic, international might be more). Shipping is only allowed certain times of year because of extreme heat or extreme cold temperatures. I believe that it is also required that the puppy be at least 9 weeks old.

Either way, its an expensive venture to ship a pup, but seems to work out. One thing to mention is that my pup's dam was imported from Spain and had quite a long journey here. She is definitely emotionally a little messed up from it. Shipping from western canada to maine would be about the same distance. I don't think its a guarantee that a pup would have issues, I've heard many success stories, but I think its a bit riskier than driving.
Back to top Go down
ccurran07
Teenager
Teenager
ccurran07

PostSubject: Re: Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions   Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 7:36 pm

I had my Chi pup shipped from MO and he was fine. You're right though Jen, the flight is longer. She said she could fly them out of Seattle or across Canada for me to pick up across the border. I probably would rather fly out there however and bring the pup back with me. Either way it'd be an expensive venture and I wont end up realistically doing it. Although it's nice to dream lol. Those dogs are just gorgeous!
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

Male Join date : 2009-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions   Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 11:10 pm

Very nice dogs for sure, and they look legit after a quick glance. Although the whole artificial insemination thing kind of has me freaked out. Really that's just plain creepy and unnecessary imho. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions   Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 12:47 am

Lol AI is fine guys...

It is a fairly common practice.  It isn't cost effective or feasible sometimes to ship a dog overseas to be bred so they send semen.  Or if you don't want to ship a bitch to the dog to be bred you ship semen.  Or if you collected and froze semen of a particularly nice dog you had and want to use it again later on..not uncommon.

There is also nothing incredibly wrong with shipping a pup. Yes, things sometimes happen but is that not the case with nearly everything in life? If shipping puppies was so bad breeders would not do it. Same for adult dogs. Yes, sometimes things happen but again its a risk we take with anything we do.

Flying or not is a very personal choice though as I know there aare many out there who believe it is the worst thing since the plague.

For perspective: I am hoping to send Mechta to a friend in Europe to be shown when she is older. She is also wanting to send her dog to the states in a couple years. I also will have a puppy shipped IF there is no feasible way for me to make the drive to get (basically this means if there is an ocean between said puppy and me because I will basically drive anywhere to get the dog if it is cost effective).

Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
ccurran07
Teenager
Teenager
ccurran07

PostSubject: Re: Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions   Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 5:39 am

Ceara- you can't drive across an ocean ;)lol

It's not so much the AI part for me, it's the fact that the sire is dead that kinda freaks me out!
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions   Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 9:06 am

Yeah....There should have been some punctuation there.  I won't lie...I was totally asleep when I wrote that.

I might fix it later.....maybe.

It also isn't always the case that the sire is dead!

Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

PostSubject: Re: Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions   Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 9:41 am

I agree with Cortnie, the process in and of itself isn't bad or anything (weird imo, but not bad I suppose... xD ) It's the dead part that gets me... :s

Like... The puppies are going to have a ghost dad or something. Razz
Back to top Go down
Ashley&Kaia
Puppy
Puppy
Ashley&Kaia

Female Join date : 2010-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions   Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 2:55 pm

So first, I had never heard of the kennel itself but looking thru her dogs I know one of them! "Sibersongs it a miracle" aka matsi is from my friend in Maine! I believe matsi just had a litter with one of this kennels dogs.

Second, although shipping dogs/puppies is not ideal my dog came from a kennel in Missouri (looking back on it probably not the best of kennels but I was dumb back then and wanted a puppy ASAP). They har strict guidelines for temps and such when they will or won't send puppies, she was covered in poop when she came which was not ideal :/ but since then sea been a great dog and no issues which being shipped ie she's not any worse for the wear. Sorry I can't be anymore help with the legalities of shipping into the country.

As for te AI totally normal in dog breeding as someone said before it's all about money/shipping/if it's easier to send the goods vs. the whole dog!
Back to top Go down
ccurran07
Teenager
Teenager
ccurran07

PostSubject: Re: Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions   Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 9:20 am

Ashely, that's actually how I found this kennel, is that I was looking throught Sibersong's website!

Yeah I had a puppy shipped and it was fine. I know it happens, but it still would make me a nervous wreck. I know I was before.

I wonder if it is less effective with AI than actually mating, that the bitch will become pregnant. Since the sire is dead, I'm sure it cost a lot since the amount of semen they have from his is finite.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions   Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 9:46 am

This is probably more than you ever wanted to know about AI in dogs, but its a common practice that has been around for over 100 years. In terms of effectiveness:

Currently, however, the use of frozen semen and fresh-cooled semen is every bit as effective as natural breeding. One of the main reasons for the conception success is the understanding by both breeders and veterinarians that the artificial insemination methods must be properly timed, properly performed and that certain bitches and types of semen require different methods of insemination.

Source: http://classic.akc.org/vetoutreach/headlinenews_13.cfm
Back to top Go down
ccurran07
Teenager
Teenager
ccurran07

PostSubject: Re: Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions   Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 10:00 am

could there ever be too munch info about AI?! Razz  I mean c'mon! haha

Thanks for the link Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions   Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 11:15 am

Right now there is a lot going on with APHIS and most kennels are refusing to ship in the U.S. I just wanted everyone to be aware
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions   Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions EmptyThu Oct 31, 2013 9:24 am

Interesting. Do you mean domestically within the US, as in a kennel in MI wouldn't ship to another state? Or is that international? Smile
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions   Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions EmptyThu Oct 31, 2013 10:27 am

And the dog isn't always dead just an FYI...think of it this way. I'm out here by Seattle. I have a gorgeous female that I want to breed but I don't like ANY of our options out here. There is a wonderful male all the way in maine. Which is cheaper, shipping the male to me to breed to my girl OR just sending me his seamen? Btw, my vet does AI. Wink
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

PostSubject: Re: Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions   Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions EmptyThu Oct 31, 2013 11:12 am

Well yeah I knew that, it's just the fact that in this specific case... The dad is dead. I mean that's really kind of just creepy, right? D:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions   Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions Empty

Back to top Go down

Vanaca Siberians/British Columbia questions

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1