It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Toenail injury?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

Toenail injury? Empty
PostSubject: Toenail injury?   Toenail injury? EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 12:34 pm

Between Mishka needing medicine for his ear now to this.

I noticed this morning that Mishka's back toe looked a bit odd. Upon closer inspection it was red and swollen and he kept licking it and biting at it. I tried to really look at it but he wouldn't let me.

I managed to take two crappy pictures.

Toenail injury? 20131010

Toenail injury? 20131011

I can get antibiotics from the vet and keep an eye on it. I am tempted to just bring him in but he just went in Monday. -_-

I am already so stressed with the wedding next week and now he's got a bobo. Sad

Has anyone ever had this happen or seen anything similar?

TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Toenail injury? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Toenail injury?   Toenail injury? EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 1:34 pm

Does it seem to hurt him if you touch it? Does he limp? The only time I've seen something similar was when a dog we had stobbed their toe running and broke a splinter off up under the cuticle area. If he won't let you check for splinters you may want to just go ahead and take him into the vet if only to have an extra set of hands to hold him down for a closer inspection to make sure that's really what it is and not a bug bite or something. When our dog got a splinter though she eventually chewed it out on her own without us needing the vet.

Senior
Senior
simplify

Toenail injury? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Toenail injury?   Toenail injury? EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 1:56 pm

It's bothering him, but he's not limping. I was holding his toe and poking around the area and he just kept pulling his foot away. No whimpering or crying (he's usually a drama queen) when I was messing with it so I don't think it *hurts* but I can't really tell.

I'll most likely end up taking him in anyway just to be on the safe side.

jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Toenail injury? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Toenail injury?   Toenail injury? EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 2:02 pm

can  you trim the fur back some to see what is going on? maybe a splinter got up in there or a sting? you can soak it in epsom salt and see if that helps.

Senior
Senior
simplify

Toenail injury? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Toenail injury?   Toenail injury? EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 2:09 pm

I'll try. I'd have to get someone to hold him down since he is such a butthead.

I'll take another look at it when I go home for lunch in a little while. And I'll try to see if he'll let me trim the fur. It looks like the fur is thinned in that area so I wonder if this has been going on for more than just a day. Sad My poor baby.

techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

Toenail injury? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Toenail injury?   Toenail injury? EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 8:52 pm

It is hard to see in the picture. I know they can pull out hair pretty quick when they get bothered, so not sure that is a sign for how long it has been on his foot.
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Toenail injury? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Toenail injury?   Toenail injury? EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 1:19 am

Well I took Mishka to the vet Friday since I was just too worried about it. He has an infection. It actually looks worse than it did when I took him to the vet. It looks like he somehow managed to partially rip his toenail out. It's longer than his pad, which all his nails are even since they wear down naturally. So he's on oral antibiotics and an ointment twice a day. I really hope it gets better because I am boarding him next weekend plus most of the week after for the wedding. :/

I'll try to get a picture of it tomorrow to show you guys.

Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

Toenail injury? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Toenail injury?   Toenail injury? EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 10:09 pm

Hopefully things get better soon for your little butthead!
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Toenail injury? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Toenail injury?   Toenail injury? EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 10:12 am

Thank you! I think I can see progress. I just wish I could get him to stop licking the medicine off without having to cone him because I just really do not want to have to do that again. Lol.

simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Toenail injury? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Toenail injury?   Toenail injury? EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 1:25 pm

Here's a couple pictures of what it looks like now. After 5 days of antibiotics it looks a lot better.

Toenail injury? 20131110

Toenail injury? 20131111

wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

Toenail injury? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Toenail injury?   Toenail injury? EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 1:29 pm

These dogs I swear! Lol. Sometimes I think it will be a miracle if Dizzy makes it to a year old!

Poor Mish, that looks so painful!
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Toenail injury? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Toenail injury?   Toenail injury? EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 1:53 pm

They are a mess!

It doesn't seem to bother him too much. He's walking, running, jumping, etc. just fine. He doesn't bother it much at all other than when I put the medicine on it. He wants to just lick it all off. -_-

MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

Toenail injury? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Toenail injury?   Toenail injury? EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 2:01 pm

Bode is currently in a cone due to a paw injury and I feel horrible about it because he's so pathetic. But he won't leave it alone and keep irritating it. So cone and 10 days of antibiotics it is! It was already infected when we got to the vet.

Hope Mishka's toe heals quick!
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Toenail injury? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Toenail injury?   Toenail injury? EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 2:45 pm

Poor Bode! Sad I hope he gets better soon.

Mishka is usually such a baby too but he's not been bad with this. I just hope that when I board him this coming week the infection doesn't get worse or anything.

Sponsored content

Toenail injury? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Toenail injury?   Toenail injury? Empty

Back to top Go down

Toenail injury?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1