It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Anal glad abscess ruptured

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JillC
Teenager
Teenager
JillC

Female Join date : 2011-05-03

Anal glad abscess ruptured Empty
PostSubject: Anal glad abscess ruptured   Anal glad abscess ruptured EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 2:26 am

And I feel like a horrible mom because I didn't even know Evie had a gland problem!

She had been fine other than for about 2 days she was licking her "girl parts" and sitting abruptly not wanting to walk. Eating, drinking, playing normally. On the second night she was terribly restless in her crate so I got up with her at about 3 am. I tried looking at her privates but she growled and snapped as soon as I tried to separate the hair. She was so uncomfortable so I called our regular vet first thing and took her in. I suspected a UTI or something like that so i took a urine sample with me. Urinalysis was all good and she was diagnosed with perivulvar dermatitis and prescribed an antibiotic (cephalexin) and deramaxx for pain. She said she looked a bit swollen, but didn't seem overly concerned. I was relieved it was nothing major. That same night at about 11pm I let Evie in from outside, she walked passed and all I saw was her butt covered in blood. I freaked! There was blood all over my house and it was coming from her rectum. I was afraid she was hemorrhaging. Called the ER vet at a different office and took her right in. Turns out she had an anal glad abscess that ruptured. There was nothing wrong with her vulva at all. They shaved the area and cleaned it with some antibacterial wash and I was told to give the meds my vet prescribed along with tramadol. We are now 4 days in and she is still in so much pain. From what I have learned this can take a very long time to heal and could be a precursor to future gland issues. My regular vet was due to check in today, but she did not, so I will be calling tomorrow to let her know how wrong she was. She examined her bum when we were there and said all looked good. She's laying at my feet as I type with her cone of shame. My poor girl :(I just wanted to post to maybe make people keep a closer eye. They have so much hair back there that unless you feel around for lumps or bumps out of the ordinary something like this could easily be missed. Like I said she only started acting strange 2 days before she was taken in. God knows how long that infection was festering and I think the only reason she was licking at her girl parts was because she couldn't reach what was truly bothering her.

Edited to add: So you know what this looks like if it happens- Evie has a hole about the diameter of a pencil almost a centimeter away from her anus. The abscess swells so much that it bursts through the skin near the rectum. It almost looks like she was shot there. We have to apply warm compresses 4 times a day to keep it open so it heals from the inside out and the infection can continue to drain.
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Anal glad abscess ruptured   Anal glad abscess ruptured EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 1:23 pm

Oh..poor girl. Hope she recovers quickly. She's in our thoughts.
Thanks for posting this, it's good info to know.
And you aren't a horrible mom, you just didn't know Smile Give her a kiss for me and Korradog.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Anal glad abscess ruptured   Anal glad abscess ruptured EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 2:10 pm

My late Faith had an anal gland abscess so I know what you're going through, sort of. These things can literally pop up overnight so don't feel bad. In Faith's case, hers popped up in a matter of hours and luckily I was able to get her into the vet before it ruptured but she was so uncomfortable. Being a smooth coat Chihuahua, it wasn't hard to miss the huge, bright red abscess protruding from her rear. The vet lanced and drained the abscess and sent her home with Amoxicillin. I did warm compresses with a clean wet wash cloth several times a day to help with the swelling and drainage as directed by the vet. Faith appeared to be straining to poop a couple days later so I called the vet and they wanted to see her back right away. The infection was not getting better and the gland had refilled with fluid so the vet had to do another lance and flush. After that they sent her home with stronger antibiotics (Cephalexin) as well as antibiotics for anaerobic bacteria in the gut (Metronidazole) to prevent the bacteria in her gut from reinfecting the gland when she had subsequent bowel movements. After that she just got better every day and we never had a recurrence.

Keep a close eye on Evie to make sure she only improves and that the gland doesn't refill like it did in Faith's case. Healing thoughts for Evie right now, hoping she feels better soon.

Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Anal glad abscess ruptured   Anal glad abscess ruptured EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 2:14 pm

That sounds so painful! I hope Evie feels better soon, poor girl!
Back to top Go down
JillC
Teenager
Teenager
JillC

PostSubject: Re: Anal glad abscess ruptured   Anal glad abscess ruptured EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 2:48 pm

Thanks so much ladies, I've never seen her so sad. I appreciate you sharing Faith's story Val. I'm praying that the meds they gave her and applying the compresses will be all she needs, but do worry that it may not all clear out and she'll have to have more done. I'm applying a bit of pressure when I do the compresses and I can feel a roundness still under the skin. Granted she still has a week and a half of antibiotic to go so hopefully she's just still in the early stages of healing. The fact that Faith never had a reoccurrence is comforting!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Anal glad abscess ruptured   Anal glad abscess ruptured EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 2:57 pm

I know of plenty of people who didn't have to repeat the lance and flush, hopefully you won't either. Faith was not a happy camper when they had to repeat the procedure. But do watch her behavior, especially when she has a bowel movement to make sure she's not straining, bleeding, or having difficulty passing stool. And keep that area clean as best you can to prevent reinfection.

Teenager
Teenager
JillC

PostSubject: Re: Anal glad abscess ruptured   Anal glad abscess ruptured EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 3:07 pm

Oh I bet! They didn't have to lance anything, but Evie did have to be muzzled and pinned down when they did the rectal exam and cleaned the wound. Her scream broke my heart. So far so good keeping it clean. She's enjoying just standing in the tub of warm water, soaking it, and lets me hold the washcloth there no problem. I think it feels good to her. I did try taking the cone off to see how she'd behave and it had to be put back on cuz she just won't stop licking. The cone is not conducive to the crate tho so I have been sleeping with her in the living room. I'm outside doing the poop inspection at all hours too. It did take her a while to go after the whole ordeal, but all looks normal so far. I called my vet and they are waiting on her records from ER vet so we can discuss follow up, etc.
Back to top Go down
JillC
Teenager
Teenager
JillC

PostSubject: Re: Anal glad abscess ruptured   Anal glad abscess ruptured EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 11:07 pm

So Evie went for her 2 week check at the vet yesterday and the vet said she looked to be healing nicely but prescribed 1 more week of the cephalexin just to be sure the infection has been knocked out. It's still not pretty back there and she is still a bit oozy. She had just completed 2 weeks of the antibiotic and her stool was a bit loose on it, but no big deal. I started her back up last night and she has been so sick today. Vomiting anytime anything goes in, even water, and her 1st poop this am was pudding and as the day progressed it turned pure liquid. Being Saturday (of course!) I had to call the er vet and they said do the chicken and rice and if she keeps vomiting and having diarrhea she needs to be brought in. I was to stop the antibiotic immediately, tho they are not convinced that is the problem since she had it for 2 weeks already without issue. They also said I could give her 10mg of Pepcid every 12 hours. She is so picky I thought for sure she wouldn't eat the chicken & rice, but I just gave her a 1/4 cup and she scarfed it down. I'm waiting to see if she can keep that little bit down before I give her more. I just want her better already. She is so lethargic and her sad eyes are killing me. I'm wondering if she could have picked up something else while we were at the vet yesterday or if this has something to do with the rupture.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Anal glad abscess ruptured   Anal glad abscess ruptured EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 11:36 pm

Doesn't sound rupture related to me. I also doubt the antibiotics are to blame if she's been fine all along. Also I'm surprised she's still leaking back there. It only took a few days before Faith's was closed up and healing.

Puppy
Puppy
GingerDog

Female Join date : 2013-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Anal glad abscess ruptured   Anal glad abscess ruptured EmptySun Nov 17, 2013 12:22 am

Poor kid! I doubt it has anything to do with the rupture, I can't imagine that would be causing vomiting. Its always possible its stress, but, as with the antibiotics, its been 2 weeks... Anything she could have gotten into?

I hope she feels better soon!
Back to top Go down
JillC
Teenager
Teenager
JillC

PostSubject: Re: Anal glad abscess ruptured   Anal glad abscess ruptured EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 3:19 pm

I just wanted to update to let you know that Evie has been admitted to the hospital with pancreatitis. She had a very rough weekend so I was there 1st thing this morning. As soon as the vet palpated her belly she screamed in pain. They checked fecal 1st and it came back negative for all parasites, next was blood work and that confirmed his suspicions. They were going to take x-rays next to get a better idea of what they are dealing with. Don't know the results of those yet. Needless to say I'm so worried. He's keeping me updated each step of the way and if she responds well to treatment, she'll be there for a few days.

Please say a prayer for my girl Crying or Very sad 
Back to top Go down
eander83
Adult
Adult
eander83

Female Join date : 2013-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Anal glad abscess ruptured   Anal glad abscess ruptured EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 3:40 pm

Oh no! Sending love and prayers your way.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Anal glad abscess ruptured   Anal glad abscess ruptured EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 4:31 pm

Aww, so sorry to hear this news. Both of you are in our thoughts. Poor Evie, she's been through so much and she's so young. Keep us updated if you can.

Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Anal glad abscess ruptured   Anal glad abscess ruptured EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 4:53 pm

Oh gosh! Praying for Evie and you! I hope she'll be alright.
Back to top Go down
JillC
Teenager
Teenager
JillC

PostSubject: Re: Anal glad abscess ruptured   Anal glad abscess ruptured EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 7:21 pm

Thank you ladies! You're so right Val and she's not even 3 years old. She's a fighter tho so I have faith she's going to be alright. I have to! The vet called and said the x-rays showed that it is JUST pancreatitis which is reassuring because it can cause issues with the kidneys, liver, etc. He said she was doing alright, being given iv fluids, and is pretty dorked out from being sedated and from the narcotics for the pain. That's probably a good thing because she has never been away from home or me EVER. In the morning they will try to feed her something and see if she can keep it down. It is so strange not having her here...I keep going to the door to check on her outside. Anyway, I appreciate you all keeping her in your thoughts and for your kind words Smile
Back to top Go down
GeorginaMay
Teenager
Teenager
GeorginaMay

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Anal glad abscess ruptured   Anal glad abscess ruptured EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 5:10 am

Thoughts and love to Evie! Poor poor girl what an awful thing to happen Sad  I'm sooo glad for both of your sake's though that it is just the pancreas, it would be dreadful if there were more issues!

I have been quietly following this thread and I just want to thank you for posting it, I know it must be a hard situation for you but from my point of view I never realized these things could and did happen! I went and got Orion all emptied out back there not long ago - he will be on a regular schedule from now on and it is all thanks to you and Evie. Thank you so much!
Back to top Go down
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: Anal glad abscess ruptured   Anal glad abscess ruptured EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 10:11 am

I have good feelings that she will be home soon!
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Anal glad abscess ruptured   Anal glad abscess ruptured EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 10:25 am

Oh poor Evie. Glad it is just pancreatic. Scary thanks for the post I have never had any issues there but I am know gonna ask the vet about it and get more knowledgeable. Keep you two in our thoughts. Please update later!

JillC
Teenager
Teenager
JillC

PostSubject: Re: Anal glad abscess ruptured   Anal glad abscess ruptured EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 11:56 am

Thank you all! I'm missing her so much!

GeorginaMay wrote:
I have been quietly following this thread and I just want to thank you for posting it, I know it must be a hard situation for you but from my point of  view I never realized these things could and did happen! I went and got Orion all emptied out back there not long ago - he will be on a regular schedule from now on and it is all thanks to you and Evie. Thank you so much!

Thanks so much for saying that. I don't post often, but I too have learned so much from everything you all contribute here. We all share the same crazy love for our furkids that's for sure and this site is such an awesome tool to help us raise healthy, happy pups. For what it's worth, my vet does not recommend having the glands expressed regulary, only when needed. Regular appointments to get them checked are good, but he said once you start actually having them expressed, it can cause them to NEED to be done more. Basically if nothing looks or feels out of the oridinary, and if the dog is showing no symptoms like licking, scooting, or abruptly sitting there is nothing to worry about.

Vet called a bit ago and said Evie is bright and alert this morning and has not vomited or had diarrhea since she's been there. She hasn't had anything to eat either tho so that will be the test. He said they offered her some canned prescription food and she only took a couple bites. They want to see how she progresses today and will check in with me again later. She may get to come late tonight if all goes well. While I hate the thought of leaving her another night, I want to be sure she is out of the woods. No more emergencies at home!
Back to top Go down
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: Anal glad abscess ruptured   Anal glad abscess ruptured EmptyThu Nov 21, 2013 4:13 pm

So glad Evie is doing better!
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

Female Join date : 2012-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Anal glad abscess ruptured   Anal glad abscess ruptured EmptyThu Nov 21, 2013 4:41 pm

so how is miss Evie doing today??

We wish her a smooth and fast recovery.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anal glad abscess ruptured   Anal glad abscess ruptured Empty

Back to top Go down

Anal glad abscess ruptured

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1