It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Help needed with feeding times

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
raynae03
Newborn
Newborn
raynae03

Female Join date : 2013-06-11

Help needed with feeding times Empty
PostSubject: Help needed with feeding times   Help needed with feeding times EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 3:38 am

My 7 month old Blitzen has stopped eating in the mornings over the last couple weeks.  He eats in the afternoon and then again in the evening but I was hoping to have him eat in the morning and then again in the evening.  He was eating 3 times a day until he was 6 months and then we changed it to twice a day.  After about 2 weeks of that, he stopped eating in the morning.  The vet says that his weight is fantastic (49 pounds) and that there isn't anything to worry about. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get him to have his meals in the morning and then again in the evening? He eats about 1 1/2 cups twice a day and I'm afraid that his eating 2 meals so late isn't helping the situation.  

Oh, our morning routine is that he is up for 2 hours to play and eat (which he doesn't) then goes for an hour+ walk.  When we get home he naps for about 3-4 hours.

Thank you for all your help!!!!!!

Blitzen was determined to stop me from crocheting.
Help needed with feeding times Dscn0910
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Help needed with feeding times   Help needed with feeding times EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 11:59 am

If it were me, I would just cut him back to once a day feeding at night. There's nothing wrong with feeding once a day. I'm hoping to get my pup there eventually, but he loves his breakfast and gets really bummed if I try to go to once a day feeding.
Back to top Go down
JillC
Teenager
Teenager
JillC

Female Join date : 2011-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Help needed with feeding times   Help needed with feeding times EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 1:11 pm

Since he's skipping meals, he's not hungry at those times. I feed my girl once a day, in the evening, with no issues. I just give her little snacks late morning/early afternoon to hold her over until dinner time. If you do go the feeding once/day route and he vomits bile at all, that means his tummy is too empty and he needs something to hold him until meal time.
Back to top Go down
raynae03
Newborn
Newborn
raynae03

PostSubject: Re: Help needed with feeding times   Help needed with feeding times EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 3:28 pm

Thank you both for the advice. I will try feeding him just in the evening and see how that goes. Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
ktkp
Newborn
Newborn
ktkp

Female Join date : 2013-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Help needed with feeding times   Help needed with feeding times EmptyTue Dec 17, 2013 2:06 pm

@raynae03

I love that picture of Blitzen on the couch! It's adorable!! =)
And good luck with the feeding times!
Back to top Go down
Bane
Puppy
Puppy
Bane

Female Join date : 2013-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Help needed with feeding times   Help needed with feeding times EmptyTue Dec 17, 2013 5:23 pm

Side note, I am so glad to see that my two Huskies are not the only two that lay on the sofa like that....
Back to top Go down
raynae03
Newborn
Newborn
raynae03

PostSubject: Re: Help needed with feeding times   Help needed with feeding times EmptyTue Dec 17, 2013 9:31 pm

That's one thing I love about huskies, they are not the average dog!
Back to top Go down
olott707
Teenager
Teenager
olott707

Female Join date : 2013-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Help needed with feeding times   Help needed with feeding times EmptyTue Dec 17, 2013 10:04 pm

My Willow was also just not eating in the mornings. She was never really excited about food ... ever. We have since switched to feeding once per day and she is excited about food!! So definitely give it a try!
Back to top Go down
raynae03
Newborn
Newborn
raynae03

PostSubject: Re: Help needed with feeding times   Help needed with feeding times EmptyTue Dec 17, 2013 10:20 pm

He is doing very well with one feeding a day. I do leave a half cup of food in his bowl in the mornings, just in case he is hungry. 9 times out of 10 he doesn't touch it. When he does I just subtract it from his evening meal. He seems happy with this arrangement.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help needed with feeding times   Help needed with feeding times Empty

Back to top Go down

Help needed with feeding times

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1