It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What do you think? Is she part husky?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
keiness
Newborn
Newborn

What do you think? Is she part husky?  Empty
PostSubject: What do you think? Is she part husky?    What do you think? Is she part husky?  EmptyWed Nov 20, 2013 9:33 pm

Hey folks,

I was searching husky forums to try and get an opinion from the people that know best, if my pup looks like she's part husky.  I've had various mixed opinions but i'd like to know yours (from shepherd, cattle dog, border collie, husky etc). A lot of people say shepherd for obvious reasons but I think knowing more about other breeds would help in her training. She is smaller then people expect, no more then 50 pounds now at 10/11 months old.  Her coat has changed color. There were long haired pups in the litter.

I got her when she was around 6/7 months old, found with her mom as stray on a reserve in Manitoba (that looked shepherd like).  She's extremely high energy and has two switches from super focus (ball/Frisbee/toy motivated) to super stubborn "I do what I want".  She's for the most part silent, moans and whines but only barks if shes trying to get you to play or howls when you play howling videos or if shes in the tub.  Not a hint of shyness and will walk away with anyone/everyone is her best friend (but she has separation anxiety and cant really be left alone for long).  I can take her offleash in the woods and she will run around but never away, though take her in a busy area and she's off to see people and its very hard to get her to come back. She loves balls and Frisbee to a very very high degree, digs, jumps like a lunatic (or a deer), climbs, and tosses and pounces on toys.

What do you think? Is she part husky?  734854_450836434990335_1834446822_n_zpsb9f892fa

What do you think? Is she part husky?  971856_10151689456772774_874272768_n_zps8c972342

What do you think? Is she part husky?  936758_10151689456742774_2030069984_n_zpse4b37daf

What do you think? Is she part husky?  996536_10151805052653561_1383681425_n_zps448531d7

What do you think? Is she part husky?  968841_10151805618373561_432106258_n_zps0be962d6

What do you think? Is she part husky?  998413_10151826646543561_1950228112_n_zps28b54ae3

What do you think? Is she part husky?  27160_10151833687463561_1547873838_n1_zps7b5ca06c

What do you think? Is she part husky?  995928_10151815969543561_2037368862_n_zps56a3cb7e

What do you think? Is she part husky?  1014209_10151908175423561_167555686_n_zps3d0c88c1

What do you think? Is she part husky?  27160_10151833687463561_1547873838_n1_zps7b5ca06c

What do you think? Is she part husky?  IMG_5432copy_zps347a7be5

What do you think? Is she part husky?  994033_10152015784863561_139670008_n_zps26697ac6

What do you think? Is she part husky?  1394162_10152024062538561_1657407447_n_zpsf19e4720

What do you think? Is she part husky?  1469868_10152075125938561_2044101138_n_zpsb5e24f2d

Thanks guys Smile
Back to top Go down
liamdav6
Newborn
Newborn
liamdav6

Male Join date : 2012-12-26

PostSubject: Re: What do you think? Is she part husky?    What do you think? Is she part husky?  EmptyWed Nov 20, 2013 9:39 pm

From the eyes and the look of the coat I'd guess Husky/Shepherd mix....I think vets can do a DNA test if your really keen to know exactly what breeds
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

PostSubject: Re: What do you think? Is she part husky?    What do you think? Is she part husky?  EmptyWed Nov 20, 2013 9:40 pm

If she didn't have that blue eye, you wouldn't even be able to tell she's a mix! Any dog that doesn't have training to come back instead of visiting with something new and exciting won't, plan and simple. It isn't necessarily related to the breed. I guess she could have husky, but she could also has any number of things instead! lol!

DNA tests aren't reliable, they're more for fun, I personally wouldn't pay for one.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: What do you think? Is she part husky?    What do you think? Is she part husky?  EmptyWed Nov 20, 2013 11:56 pm

Wow, she is a gorgeous dog! I would say shepherd husky mix or malinois husky mix. Either way she's beautiful!
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: What do you think? Is she part husky?    What do you think? Is she part husky?  EmptyThu Nov 21, 2013 12:52 am

Face has Malinois traits to me, large ears (which I see more in out of standard GSDs) and the coat length as well seems Mal. Don't let the eye throw you. There are a lot of breeds which can throw a blue eye. She's a very pretty girl.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: What do you think? Is she part husky?    What do you think? Is she part husky?  EmptyThu Nov 21, 2013 10:29 am

dahowlers wrote:
If she didn't have that blue eye, you wouldn't even be able to tell she's a mix! Any dog that doesn't have training to come back instead of visiting with something new and exciting won't, plan and simple. It isn't necessarily related to the breed. I guess she could have husky, but she could also has any number of things instead! lol!

DNA tests aren't reliable, they're more for fun, I personally wouldn't pay for one.
Just out of curiosity, why do you say dna tests aren't reliable?
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: What do you think? Is she part husky?    What do you think? Is she part husky?  EmptyThu Nov 21, 2013 10:42 am

In terms of breed, she looks like a kelpie or kelpie mix to me. Maybe kelpie boarder collie or shepherd. She is beautiful and it sounds like she has a working dog drive. Kelpies are pretty rare in the states though, where are you located?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Kelpie
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

PostSubject: Re: What do you think? Is she part husky?    What do you think? Is she part husky?  EmptyThu Nov 21, 2013 7:54 pm

I know an APBT breeder who heavily line breeds and used one for fun. It gave her some pretty crazy results.
I believe the sire was pre-dominantly a Great Pyrenees, one of the pups was an Italian Greyhound and I think the other was a boxer. The most closely related dogs didn't really have any dogs in common in the test. It wouldn't have been so bad if they at least came back as breeds that were similar in function and place of origin Laughing
It could be because of the breed and we don't really know where the company collected their "purebred" samples from, but who really knows. I've been seeing other breeds throw what I guess could be considered accurate results, but that was ridiculous lol I just wouldn't trust one, whether is was what I wanted it to say or not. I do think they're really neat though!
Back to top Go down
liamdav6
Newborn
Newborn
liamdav6

Male Join date : 2012-12-26

PostSubject: Re: What do you think? Is she part husky?    What do you think? Is she part husky?  EmptyThu Nov 21, 2013 8:42 pm

Well if they got a DNA test and it comes back as a toy poodle they'll know it was a little bit off... lol
If it comes back as Husky/GSD/Malinois I think they'd be able to consider it pretty accurate
Back to top Go down
keiness
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: What do you think? Is she part husky?    What do you think? Is she part husky?  EmptyThu Nov 21, 2013 11:03 pm

Oh she knows a recall! She just "forgets" when she wants to. Basic training class was interesting, she's very stubborn. She's got a split personality -drive and focus to ignore, zoned out, stubborn. You can see it in her eyes as it switches :p.

I'm located in Nova Scotia (canada) but she came from northern Manitoba reserve. Lots of feral dogs up and about there. So in all likely hood probably a fair range of breeds. I can't imagine a mal running around up there.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: What do you think? Is she part husky?    What do you think? Is she part husky?  EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 10:00 am

keiness wrote:
Oh she knows a recall! She just "forgets" when she wants to. Basic training class was interesting, she's very stubborn. She's got a split personality -drive and focus to ignore, zoned out, stubborn. You can see it in her eyes as it switches :p.

I'm located in Nova Scotia (canada) but she came from northern Manitoba reserve. Lots of feral dogs up and about there. So in all likely hood probably a fair range of breeds. I can't imagine a mal running around up there.
Lol, yeah probably not too many kelpies up that way either. Do you have a pic of her dam? You said they were picked up together. Smile

Last edited by wpskier222 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fix my stupid grammer)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you think? Is she part husky?    What do you think? Is she part husky?  Empty

Back to top Go down

What do you think? Is she part husky?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1