It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

JAVMA article on raw

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LoveMyBrat
Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2013-01-29

JAVMA article on raw Empty
PostSubject: JAVMA article on raw   JAVMA article on raw EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 1:30 pm

http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/pdf/10.2460/javma.243.11.1549

Title: Current knowledge about the risks and benefits of raw meat–based diets for dogs and cats
PMID: 24261804
Abstract
The feeding of RMBDs to dogs and cats has received increasing attention in recent years. The American Animal Hospital Association,1 AVMA,2 and Canadian Veterinary Medical Association3 have adopted statements discouraging the inclusion of raw or undercooked animal source protein in dog and cat diets. The Delta Society’s Pet Partners Program expressed concern that pets in a therapy animal program could be shedding pathogens in the presence of immunocompromised humans and other at-risk human populations. Therefore, they adopted in 2010 a policy that precludes animals that eat RMBDs from participating in their therapy animal program.4 For each of the organizations, the primary reason indicated to oppose feeding of an RMBD was that potential pathogen contamination of the uncooked meat causes health risks to the pet fed the diet as well as to other pets, human family members, and members of the public in contact with the pet. These statements did not address other potential problems of RMBDs, such as potential nutritional imbalancesb or other safety issues of the diets (eg, feeding bones); they also did not address the reasons people want to feed these diets or potential benefits of this type of diet. A major problem in the discussion about potential risks and benefits of RMBDs is the paucity of good data from high quality studies. Information on nutritional risk or benefit is often from low-quality studies (testimonials, case series, or poor-quality cohort and case-controlled studies).5 The evidence for infectious disease risks when feeding RMBDs is of better quality and quantity, but few studies have been conducted to compare the risk of feeding RMBDs with that of feeding commercial foods,6 and no reports have been published on evaluation of the long-term risks and benefits of feeding RMBDs. The lack of consensus and paucity of good data can make it difficult for veterinarians to provide informed feeding recommendations to dog and cat owners.

It seems like every article i find discussing raw diets mentions the risk of perforation and impaction - as well as nutritional imbalances associated with raw. Now, i know there are alot of scientists and researchers alike on this forum, so i am sure there are peer reviewed articles that discuss raw and discuss the benefits from a physiological perspective - can someone point me in that direction?
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

JAVMA article on raw Empty
PostSubject: Re: JAVMA article on raw   JAVMA article on raw EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 3:04 pm

Do you by chance have the full text of the article? Apparently my university stopped subscribing to AVMA several years ago, so I can't get it. Sad

I just did a quick search for other articles, but most were with felines instead of dogs.
Back to top Go down

JAVMA article on raw

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1