It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

To Neuter or not to Neuter?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
histi
Teenager
Teenager
histi

Female Join date : 2013-12-10

To Neuter or not to Neuter? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: To Neuter or not to Neuter?   To Neuter or not to Neuter? - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 4:51 am

um... when did that change? I've been able to treat since i hit about 20 posts. So deffinitely have lost the right.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: To Neuter or not to Neuter?   To Neuter or not to Neuter? - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 5:01 am

Hmm..that's weird. It could be a glitch? You can't treat yourself so if you are looking at your post it won't work. Sad
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
histi
Teenager
Teenager
histi

PostSubject: Re: To Neuter or not to Neuter?   To Neuter or not to Neuter? - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 5:05 am

Nope staring at yours and there is no option to give you a treat Smile
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: To Neuter or not to Neuter?   To Neuter or not to Neuter? - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 5:05 am

Are you on mobile or regular?
Back to top Go down
histi
Teenager
Teenager
histi

PostSubject: Re: To Neuter or not to Neuter?   To Neuter or not to Neuter? - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 5:06 am

regular
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: To Neuter or not to Neuter?   To Neuter or not to Neuter? - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 5:07 am

I don't know then. That's weird.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: To Neuter or not to Neuter?   To Neuter or not to Neuter? - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 10:05 am

So back to topic and a question. Dizzy can't go to daycare anymore because he's unaltered. The daycare said that because he's sexually maturing that neutered male dogs are now showing aggression towards him. I had kinda thought this was bs, but I have began to notice that at the dog park as well. Generally Dizzy tries it diffuse the aggression but has gotten into a fight because another neutered male won't leave him alone. Anyway, my question is, what causes that aggression? Dizzy has a couple of buddies that are unaltered males and they are fine together. Is that something I'll have to deal with as long as he's not neutered?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: To Neuter or not to Neuter?   To Neuter or not to Neuter? - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 10:30 am

Carissa, ultimately if/when to neuter is going to be a very personal decision.  You will find plenty of pros and cons for neutering early versus waiting until they are older.  From your original post though, it seems like your only real concern was growth and their desire to get to a female in heat.  Effects of neutering on growth are negligible, especially in the companion dog.  Their desire to escape and be with a female in heat will be a huge challenge no matter how high the fence...so I personally  wouldn't leave him unsupervised outside unless you truly have an escape-proof enclosure, which it sounds like you don't have at the moment.  

On the subject of humping, I've not personally seen humping behavior change from neutering.  My sibe was neutered at 2 years of age and is very confident/pack leader and rarely ever humps and when he does it IS dominance humping of other dogs only.  Prince was neutered at 8 months old and is less confident/a follower and he humps other people and dogs more frequently.  My mother in law has a dog that was neutered late, probably around 7 or 8 years old who was very insecure/low ranking pack member who never humped anyone or any dog unless he was mounting a female in heat.  She also has an intact senior male dog (not sure his age but probably around 14 I'm guessing) who is confident but a middle ranking/go with the flow type pack member who never humped any people or dogs but does have marking issues when it comes to visiting other peoples' houses.  My neutered Dakota does not like when an intact male is around and doesn't get along with them very well. Definitely not BS, Jen!  I find, from casual observation, that he is more likely to hump an intact male than anything else.

Personally, I think the benefits of neutering outweigh the cons, but that's just my personal opinion. I don't make recommendations for the reason of this being a very personal decision.

Newborn
Newborn
Inuk

Male Join date : 2013-10-23

PostSubject: Re: To Neuter or not to Neuter?   To Neuter or not to Neuter? - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 10:54 am

I'm definitely going to neuter Inuk when he'll be 6 months old. All the dogs that are causing problems in the dog park are unaltered males. They are all very dominant and if something happens which they don't like they try to proof their dominance. If all dogs would be neutered/spayed the dog park would be much more peaceful. Most dog owners just aren't able to handle an unaltered dog. No scientific stuff just my personal opinion.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: To Neuter or not to Neuter?   To Neuter or not to Neuter? - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 11:06 am

wpskier222 wrote:
So back to topic and a question. Dizzy can't go to daycare anymore because he's unaltered. The daycare said that because he's sexually maturing that neutered male dogs are now showing aggression towards him. I had kinda thought this was bs, but I have began to notice that at the dog park as well. Generally Dizzy tries it diffuse the aggression but has gotten into a fight because another neutered male won't leave him alone. Anyway, my question is, what causes that aggression? Dizzy has a couple of buddies that are unaltered males and they are fine together. Is that something I'll have to deal with as long as he's not neutered?

This is going to be a dog by dog situation. There are some (neutered or intact) dogs which will not leave an intact male dog alone. Some specifically seek them out. I had a foster before who was very aggressive to intact males. It's not BS, but many pet parents think it is (we have the same rules at my work.)

If you see a dog like this who won't take a hint, leave. Try to put as much space between the 2 but you may need to leave for Dizzys safety. The best thing to do is have his interactions with other intact males be as peaceful and non-confrontational as possible and continue to socialize him.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: To Neuter or not to Neuter?   To Neuter or not to Neuter? - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 11:08 am

Just for info, Maya was seven when I adopted her and she was still intact, humped everything! Since her emergency spay she hasn't attempted any humping at all. So in part it must be hormonal, or so it would seem. As for males, has it ever been suggested that even after being fixed it just feels good to hump? Do they still have sensation? does an endorphin or something get released? My personal very uninformed thought would be that several reasons may be correct.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: To Neuter or not to Neuter?   To Neuter or not to Neuter? - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 11:10 am

Re: Humping

http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/down-dirty-humping-sex-status-and-beyond

Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: To Neuter or not to Neuter?   To Neuter or not to Neuter? - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 12:12 pm

arooroomom wrote:

wpskier222 wrote:

This is going to be a dog by dog situation. There are some (neutered or intact) dogs which will not leave an intact male dog alone. Some specifically seek them out. I had a foster before who was very aggressive to intact males. It's not BS, but many pet parents think it is (we have the same rules at my work.)

If you see a dog like this who won't take a hint, leave. Try to put as much space between the 2 but you may need to leave for Dizzys safety. The best thing to do is have his interactions with other intact males be as peaceful and non-confrontational as possible and continue to socialize him.

Thanks. I've started to watch the dogs as they come in and am starting to learn the signals to tell if there's gonna be an issue. My previous males have always been neutered young, so I never thought about it from this angle. I always thought intact males were more prone to aggression, but it makes sense that it depends more on the individual dog.

In terms of humping, Dizzy doesn't hump people and never has. I can tell that he's kind of on an upswing in terms of his testosterone but hasn't shown any signs of humping humans. If he did, I would handle it like any other behavior I don't like. Time out and cease interaction for 10-15 min. He humps other dogs, mostly females and oddly enough mostly huskies. His humping seems related to sex (even though his husky friends are spayed), he's just a teenager. He sometimes humps other males, and that's dominance related. He has a very dominant and confident personality. Usually he doesn't really concern himself with humping males though.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: To Neuter or not to Neuter?   To Neuter or not to Neuter? - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 3:57 pm

As for the dominance humping issue...I have seen it at our local dog park. A female husky named Maggie is Queen Bee and makes sure that every new dog that comes to the park knows it. She humps everyone. I have also seen it in rabbits (two females) to be honest, so there must be something to it.

If you are concerned about growth, as stated it doesn't affect growth such as stunting the dog's growth. But it is a personal choice just like anything else.
Back to top Go down
histi
Teenager
Teenager
histi

PostSubject: Re: To Neuter or not to Neuter?   To Neuter or not to Neuter? - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 4:43 pm

Here is some interesting info regarding the 'dominance theory' to humping...
It's probably not in anyway PROOF that it is not a dominant behaviour, but the info is from a Vet... here is the most relevant info:

' Now for those who quickly jump to the conclusion that his behavior must be “dominance,” let me clarify.  Jonesy always backs away when these dogs snap at him rather than attacking them like he would if his mounting was a sign that he was trying to establish higher rank. And he does exhibit this frat-boy behavior even when the female is definitely higher ranked and he knows she can kick his butt.  So this behavior is driven by his libido not a drive for high rank. In some dogs this mounting behavior can also be a displacement behavior, like a person’s nail chewing or hair twirling, performed when they are anxious in social situations or even socially inept.'      Dr Sophia Yin, DVM

Here is the link to the full article... neutered male dogs can still have sex

Just thought I would share as it is an interesting concept, and can be many meanings for 'humping' I guess.

Last edited by histi on Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: To Neuter or not to Neuter?   To Neuter or not to Neuter? - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 5:00 pm

Humping can stem from a million different triggers. Some dogs hump in an effort to "take control" others do it out of excitement, or stress, or fear, or mating. No one can say humping is an X behavior. Because it's a million different things based on each situation and scenario and dog.

Back to top Go down
histi
Teenager
Teenager
histi

PostSubject: Re: To Neuter or not to Neuter?   To Neuter or not to Neuter? - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 5:02 pm

arooroomum, that pretty much sums it up  Wink 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To Neuter or not to Neuter?   To Neuter or not to Neuter? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

To Neuter or not to Neuter?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3