It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Looking for advice before I get a husky!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Godbey
Newborn
Newborn

Looking for advice before I get a husky! Empty
PostSubject: Looking for advice before I get a husky!   Looking for advice before I get a husky! EmptyWed Jan 01, 2014 11:28 pm

Hello, I just am curious about a few details of my situation and whether or not they would keep me from owning a husky.

For starters I am 22 years old, live by myself in a 3 bedroom, have a fenced yard, etc. I have heard that huskies are pack/family oriented, would it be a bad idea to get one with me living by myself? Does it cause more disobedience or what?

I live in the midwest so my winters are cold which I know is preferred, however sometimes in the summer it can potentially get to 100 degrees. Is that too hot for the dog? How would I go about giving the daily exercise when it is too hot for the dog to be outside for long periods?

I have had dogs my entire life since I was a baby, and I would often check out library books on how to train them when I was younger, but it has been so long since I've actually done it I'm just curious what the best way to train the husky is/where I can find good information on it? I understand it takes a lot of patience, I just assumed in the era of the internet there are probably all kinds of tips and tricks out there and it would be good to ask.  Smile 

I've read on here that a crate is a good idea and that is fine with me, however I've heard mixed advice as far as where to put the crate. Some people say wherever it's out of the way, some people say in a garage or similar area, and others have told me right in your room next to your bed to keep it from howling all night. I'm fine with anything, if it's just up to preference I imagine I will either put it in my room or the empty room next to mine.

I plan on buying a puppy and being very diligent with the training from about as early as possible, so I wonder is it really as hard as people say it is to keep them from howling all day and night?

Thanks for any advice or help you can give me, I really appreciate it!
Back to top Go down
Inuk
Newborn
Newborn
Inuk

Male Join date : 2013-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Looking for advice before I get a husky!   Looking for advice before I get a husky! EmptyThu Jan 02, 2014 8:51 am

Hello,

My husky has only me and my girlfriend as his pack and during the day I'm mostly alone with him. As far as I can tell he's very happy. He does get a lot of social contacts with other dogs during our walks though.

In the summertime you have to look after your dog so he doesn't overheat. I've personally never experienced a siberian husky but what I have heard is that you need to cool him down for example give him the opportunity to swim during walks and have a little pool in your garden. I've also got the advise to put a bag pack on him filled with icepacks. But your husky probably won't need the same type of exercise during the summer because of the heat.

Positive Reinforcement training and being a calm and assertive pack leader works wonderfully with my dog. But the training topic is a very controversial. You should try to find a method that works for you and your dog. Normally positive reinforcement is the way to go....

Proper crate training is very good although I've only used a crate in his first few weeks with us until he was potty trained. The crate was also very useful for his first visits at the vet. But now I no longer use a crate. I would advise you to put the crate next to your bed for the first few nights. If you later on don't want to have him sleep in you bedroom I would move the crate after a couple of nights but not to far away. Your puppy should still be near your. I was very lucky with my pup because he didn't cried at all in the night.

He's also very quiet. He doesn't howl or bark except when he want's to play. I can't tell you if a siberian husky is harder to train or not because this is my first dog. But I've heard often that they are harder. But they definitely need more time because of the needed exercise, but not every siberian is the same. If you don't give him his required exercise he turns into a monster (at least my husky).

Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Looking for advice before I get a husky!   Looking for advice before I get a husky! EmptyThu Jan 02, 2014 12:20 pm

Me and my husband have an only dog and she is just fine with the two of us but spend most of her time with just me since I'm around more. I think a lot depends on how much you're gone as to if your dog would have issues just being the two of you. If you are never home and can't take him with you often then I could see potential difficulties.

Socialization is key to keeping an only dog in a household of very few people. Kenzi lives with two people but it's like she lives with only me much of the time. Due to lack of socialization and some other unknowns she is bad with other dogs so I must only socialize her where there will be few to no dogs and often times there aren't many people either so she is becoming increasingly attached to me and will protect me from anyone that moves quickly in my direction becoming a liability with small children. Keeping the dog socialized with people in and out of the home as well as other dogs will make it easier on you and the dog. She is very obedient with me, but others she tries her luck on.

There is a think called a swamp jacket or swamp vest that you wet and put on the dog to keep them cool. I've heard good things about them. I do my most exercising early morning or late night and do several short play periods during summer.

There is a thread: Positive Reinforcement with a lot of great information. I haven't read but have heard that Huskies for Dummies is a good book to pick up. I got Kenzi from the shelter and she was actually already trained when I got her. There are a lot of rescue dogs out there that are already trained to do amazing things that for whatever reason became homeless. She isn't crate trained but has never needed to be and doesn't say a word all day long. I used to think I needed a puppy so that I could handle all of it's training and train the way I wanted it to be trained, but with my work schedule it was much easier adopting an adult dog that had the ground work done. Getting her adjusted to my training ways was far easier than starting from scratch.

Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Looking for advice before I get a husky!   Looking for advice before I get a husky! EmptyThu Jan 02, 2014 12:39 pm

If I were you I look into Nothing in life is free training. http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html

Also as for walking exercising in the hot summers.. We live in Oklahoma and walk our pups in the early morning hours or late evening.. Also my huskies love to sun bathe several times during the day. Their fur helps keep them cool in the warm temps and warm in the cold temps.
Back to top Go down
Red Jasper
Newborn
Newborn
Red Jasper

Female Join date : 2014-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Looking for advice before I get a husky!   Looking for advice before I get a husky! EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 11:03 pm

I do not think that it just being you is bad. Your pup will see you as part of it's pack. As far as crate training goes, being a pack dog it will more than likely want to be by you and where you are. Don't worry about the heat. Their natural coats are to protect them in cold as well as heat. I too live in the midwest and my crew does just fine and they enjoy the heat. Training can be testing at times. Huskies are known to be pretty stubborn. However they are very smart dogs. They do not have a good recall as they like to run. They are built to pull so leash walking being a must, takes work. The NILF training is wonderful and very helpful. Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Looking for advice before I get a husky!   Looking for advice before I get a husky! EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 4:09 am

You will be fine as far as having only one husky by yourself. Once he/she is old enough, you can always take them to the dog park to get more socialization (recommended).

I live in Texas, where it can get up to 110 degrees. Juneau lives in the AC with me 24/7. Their coat insulates them. I definitely wouldn't ever leave them outside for a long period of time - but that's with any dog.

Their energy level will decrease in the summer and increase in the winter. Don't ask me why. lol

You can put the crate anywhere. Juneau only cried for about 3-4 days when we first got her. You're supposed to ignore it, or they'll figure out that they can manipulate you. I put her crate in the coolest corner of the house, which is downstairs and away from the master bedroom.

Your puppy will most likely to howl at night. That's just how it is when you take home a puppy. Luckily mine only lasted a few days. You can give him/her a tee-shirt with your scent, play soft music on the radio/laptop/ipod, use a fan, or anything else. I would play instrumental music to help Juneau sleep at night.

Poke around on the training section, lots of helpful tips there. Smile
Back to top Go down
Amathain
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2014-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Looking for advice before I get a husky!   Looking for advice before I get a husky! EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 5:39 pm

Godbey wrote:
Hello, I just am curious about a few details of my situation and whether or not they would keep me from owning a husky.

For starters I am 22 years old, live by myself in a 3 bedroom, have a fenced yard, etc. I have heard that huskies are pack/family oriented, would it be a bad idea to get one with me living by myself? Does it cause more disobedience or what?

I live in the midwest so my winters are cold which I know is preferred, however sometimes in the summer it can potentially get to 100 degrees. Is that too hot for the dog? How would I go about giving the daily exercise when it is too hot for the dog to be outside for long periods?

I have had dogs my entire life since I was a baby, and I would often check out library books on how to train them when I was younger, but it has been so long since I've actually done it I'm just curious what the best way to train the husky is/where I can find good information on it? I understand it takes a lot of patience, I just assumed in the era of the internet there are probably all kinds of tips and tricks out there and it would be good to ask.  Smile 

I've read on here that a crate is a good idea and that is fine with me, however I've heard mixed advice as far as where to put the crate. Some people say wherever it's out of the way, some people say in a garage or similar area, and others have told me right in your room next to your bed to keep it from howling all night. I'm fine with anything, if it's just up to preference I imagine I will either put it in my room or the empty room next to mine.

I plan on buying a puppy and being very diligent with the training from about as early as possible, so I wonder is it really as hard as people say it is to keep them from howling all day and night?

Thanks for any advice or help you can give me, I really appreciate it!
I'll weigh in since my wife and I just brought home a new husky puppy 2.5 weeks ago. Pack oriented, as I understand it doesn't mean big pack. A pack can be just you and your dog. Pack oriented means they don't do as well being left alone, so if you're only home 2-3 hours a day (outside of sleep), maybe think about a different breed, or see if you can bring your dog with you.

About weather, you're fine. I live in the central valley, California. It can get over 110 out here. Just use this basic rule, if you wouldn't want to be left outside in whatever weather, don't leave them. AND DO NOT SHAVE THEM! Their coat can actually be heat protective. If it's too hot to exercise your dog outside, then either work them in the morning or late evening. Or take them to obedience classes at night that are indoors.

In terms of resources, I highly recommend Cesar Millan. Check out all of his stuff: books; instructional DVD's; The Dog Whisperer show. Especially his stuff on how to pick the right puppy for you. Huskies are active to begin with, but getting a high energy, high dominance husky would spell disaster for someone who hasn't had one before. My wife and I got to pick between 2 puppies when we got ours. The one we picked would play, but wasn't big on dominating the others, and would actually relax if we held her. Even at 3 weeks (she's 10.5 now). She loves to play, and obviously still challenges authority (so be consistent) but she also enjoys her naps and knows when I tell her "enough."

Crate training is great. Our puppy kinda gets her own "room", a small office just off our kitchen, however we're looking at getting a second crate for the bedroom because she howls and whines like crazy when we go to bed. She sounds like she's being murdered, lol. Don't get one too big tho, we did that and when she did #2 in the crate, we'd split the crate in half, one side for laying, the other with a wee-wee pad, and she flipped out and turned into a tornado. Not fun to clean. So get a crate that is big enough for some growth, but small enough that she will want to hold it. And "pack oriented" means your dog will love to sleep in your room with you, if they get their way Wink.
Back to top Go down
Kelub
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2014-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Looking for advice before I get a husky!   Looking for advice before I get a husky! EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 3:46 pm

VintageJeans wrote:
...I live in Texas, where it can get up to 110 degrees.  Juneau lives in the AC with me 24/7.  Their coat insulates them.  I definitely wouldn't ever leave them outside for a long period of time - but that's with any dog.  
You can put the crate anywhere.  Juneau only cried for about 3-4 days when we first got her.  You're supposed to ignore it, or they'll figure out that they can manipulate you.  I put her crate in the coolest corner of the house, which is downstairs and away from the master bedroom.

Your puppy will most likely to howl at night.  That's just how it is when you take home a puppy.  Luckily mine only lasted a few days.  You can give him/her a tee-shirt with your scent, play soft music on the radio/laptop/ipod, use a fan, or anything else.  I would play instrumental music to help Juneau sleep at night.

Poke around on the training section, lots of helpful tips there. Smile 

I agree with VintageJeans. I'm also in Texas, and while I've only had our husky for about 3 weeks now, the heat was a concern before getting her. In fact, one of the reasons my wife and I had not considered a husky before was because we were both (mistakenly) under the impression that they shouldn't live in hot climates. Their coats will keep them cool, but of course keep them out of situations where they can overheat. Sometimes our puppy is like having a Canadian in the house: I'll have a fire going in the living room when it's 20-30 degrees outside, and she starts looking for cool spots to lay in the room. "You call this cold?!?" is the look she gives us.

Re: crate and crying, they are definitely master manipulators. Don't reinforce anything that you don't want repeated. Khaleesi *hated* her crate the first night or two, but now she actually goes into it herself and beds down at night to sleep. We had to fight the urge to respond to her cries, but it was worth it. We had her in a room on the other side of the house because we've had bad experiences before with puppies where, if they know you're nearby, they'll just try harder to get you to respond. Once Khaleesi knew she wasn't getting our attention, she cut it out.

I've read quite a few times the thought "if you haven't had a Husky before then they may not be right for you"... how is someone to begin the process of owning one, if they don't start at "I've never had one before?" Having experience with dogs is certainly recommended, and doing the diligence of research and knowing what you're getting into is paramount... but personally I think you have to start somewhere, and if you're committed to spending the time, energy, and money necessary, then go for it. We've owned multiple dogs, cats, etc., and have fostered twice as many as we've owned, so for us it wasn't too intimidating to get a husky "for the first time."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for advice before I get a husky!   Looking for advice before I get a husky! Empty

Back to top Go down

Looking for advice before I get a husky!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1