It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Puppy Issues

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
suzisunshine85
Newborn
Newborn
suzisunshine85

Puppy Issues Empty
PostSubject: Puppy Issues   Puppy Issues EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 8:11 am

I have had my puppy Aurora for a week and a half.

She started out great but is fast becoming a huge problem and I am worried it will escalate and get even more out of hand. I am fast thinking she has 666 tattooed Twisted Evil somewhere under all of that fluff.

I did a huge amount of research on the breed prior to getting her, however, I know know what the breeder said when she quoted 'you'll have your work cut out with you with this one!'.

1. She has severe separation anxiety - she follows me around constantly. If I so much as step outside the room she screams and howls the place down. I have tried 'little steps' and tried to step out of the room then come back in, then a little longer - but nothing works - I think it is only getting worse.

2. Crate Issues - She willingly goes into her crate but the second I shut the door she screams/howls (not just cries or wines) I'm worried the authorities will be called as someone must think i'm torturing her. I have tried high value treats, kongs, etc.. Can anyone advise me as to how long she is likely to scream for before she eventually gives in. I have to create a distraction at the moment to get her to stop so I can let her out. I have never let her out because she cries.

3. She also cries all the time when she wants something or is not getting full attention - but we play so much so it's not like she doesn't get enough attention.

I really need to succeed in crate/general obedience training as I work from home and study and this is having such a detrimental effect on me and my job. (I did take a week off when she first got here).

I let her sleep on my bed - I am concerned this was a mistake?

I would greatly appreciate some advice as I am going insane Puppy Issues 1625187496 affraid 
Back to top Go down
Ragdog
Puppy
Puppy
Ragdog

Female Join date : 2014-01-04

Puppy Issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy Issues   Puppy Issues EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 8:40 am

letting sleep i nbed is your choise. About crate training and leaving alone is almoust the same. I would recommend leaving your puppy no mater what, whait till she stops crying (even if it takes 10-20min.) and wait 1 minute before leting her go/ see you, and give ehr a treat. My husky was the same, good thing no one told she was too loud, but yeah, that method helped, me, and before i go, i put here in the crate, and while i go to the door, i say ''no, bad dog'' , but that is unnecassary, becouse the puppy needs to feel the love Smile later the puppy understands that she can go out, and get a reward IF she will stop crying. Now she cries when she just didn't get her potty brake, or exercise
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

Puppy Issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy Issues   Puppy Issues EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 9:37 am

Its only been 1 week. This is all normal. For each problem though you just have to stay consistent with the training. Its not going to happen over night. Dont get frustrated. Stay calm. For first problem. Id stay out of the same room as her until she stops or atleast starts to calm down noticable. And keep working on that with her.

As for crate u just have to leave her in there. She will get used to it. If you want you can try putting a blanket over it to. Some dogs like thay cause it feels more like a den.

As for the 3rd problem. Koda is a year and 2 months old and is just starting to calm down on the same thing lol. He still does it, but its getting better. Just stay calm and it will get better
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

Puppy Issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy Issues   Puppy Issues EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 9:51 am

Ah, yes, EPS, evil puppy syndrome. Don't worry, if you stay the course with training, it will get better. For the first two issues, as the other people said, you just have to wait her out no matter how long it takes. At some point she will wear herself out and stop. That's when you go in and calmly reward her with treats and attention. Don't make too big a deal out of the reward though, just a nice soothing, 'good girl' and a treat. If the reward is too exciting, it will just get her all worked up again.

For the third problem, I would start asking her to do little things before you give her attention. Start teaching easy commands, like sit, down, and whatnot. If you make her sit quietly, or sit period before you give her attention, it will go a long way. When she is just over the top excited, I would give her a timeout to calm her down. I had to do that pretty often with my puppy. I really thought he was satan's spawn for the first couple months.

Also, remember she's an infant. Puppies just require a ton of attention. I found it hard to figure out what the right balance was between teaching my puppy that he didn't get what he wants all the time, but also fulfilling his needs (attention, walks, playtime, etc.). Do you have a routine that you follow with her? I found that really helpful with my puppy. Waking up at the same time daily, walks, feeding, potty breaks, quiet time, play time all scheduled throughout the day.

All in all, just stick to your work with training and it will pay off in the end. She WILL get better, and the more consistent and patient you are, the sooner that will happen. Smile You can't expect too much, she's not mature enough to handle it mentally, but show her the way and she'll come around.
Back to top Go down
Moose
Newborn
Newborn
Moose

Female Join date : 2014-01-05

Puppy Issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy Issues   Puppy Issues EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 10:02 am

I feel you with the crying and howling hysterically I feel also that my neighbors may think bad of me or call the police for animal cruelty it can get embarrassing too last time at the vet I went to pick up Moose and I hardly even touched him and he yelped and cried. I was like G thanks for making me look bad lol. They are dramatic as pups I've noticed and I have the say issue with separation anxiety if I'm not in his line of sight he either cries (if he can't get to me) or moves right near me so I'm in his sight again.
Back to top Go down
suzisunshine85
Newborn
Newborn
suzisunshine85

Puppy Issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy Issues   Puppy Issues EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 1:51 pm

Thank you for your advice and reassurance! I guess you're right its only been a week - I think  the sleepless nights are catching up with me  Sleep and turning me into the grinch!!lol! 

Ironically, since I posted she slept for a whole hour in her crate  bounce bounce bounce bounce

Back to top Go down
Ragdog
Puppy
Puppy
Ragdog

Female Join date : 2014-01-04

Puppy Issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy Issues   Puppy Issues EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 1:58 pm

hah, great, give her a treat for that!
Back to top Go down
Inuk
Newborn
Newborn
Inuk

Male Join date : 2013-10-23

Puppy Issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy Issues   Puppy Issues EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 5:52 pm

I think it is important that you don't let her manipulate you by crying and screaming otherwise she will always cry and scream to get what she wants.

And good tip for the create training is to wait for her to lay down before you shut the door. Invite her into her create and block her if she wants to get out but don't shut the door until she is relaxed. If she starts screaming don't let her out until she has stopped like the others already said.

I can assure you that if you stay consistent it will soon get a lot better. The first month with my puppy was exhausting. Now that he is almost 5 months old he has turned into an angel. I'm now waiting for his teenage phase Smile
Back to top Go down
TheBadGuppy
Teenager
Teenager
TheBadGuppy

Female Join date : 2013-06-20

Puppy Issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy Issues   Puppy Issues EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 6:24 pm

We had all these issues when we adopted Gus at 4mths old. I agree with what everyone said above, but thought I'd add in something about letting her sleep in your bed with you. I don't think that's a problem. Gus sleeps in our bed all the time, but will willingly go into his crate at night to sleep. In fact, he seems to prefer it now. His crate is not in our bedroom, but the way our condo is set up, it may as well be haha. He can see us 100% of the time from his crate. So about sleeping on your bed... it might be a good idea to take bedtime as another opportunity to crate train her. You could put the crate in your bedroom, so that she is comfortable, but still gets used to being in her crate. Since we don't work from home, bedtime was really the only time that we had to crate train him. We sent him to daycare during the day because he had/has REALLY BAD separation anxiety as well.

When we started leaving him at home during the day (in a gated area) and just having our dog walker come once a day, we wrote a letter (with an adorable picture of our cutiepie) for each of our neighbours to let them know about his separation anxiety, and included our contact information if his howling became too much of a problem. He did howl at the beginning, and still does on occasion, but it is much more manageable now. And when we bump into our neighbours now, they always ask how he is doing and are very friendly about it! We live in a condo though so his howling is a pretty big issue for us.

Good luck! The first couple weeks are always the hardest Smile but it does get better!! The important part is to be patient, and don't push it! Only train and do what you think she can handle. We tried to push the crate training really hard when we first brought him home, and I think that has a lot to do with why it took us so long to crate train Gus.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Puppy Issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy Issues   Puppy Issues Empty

Back to top Go down

Puppy Issues

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1