It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Separation anxiety since loss of companion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
msav
Newborn
Newborn

Separation anxiety since loss of companion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Separation anxiety since loss of companion   Separation anxiety since loss of companion - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 25, 2014 12:25 pm

I went as high as 20 drops before I gave up on the rescue remedy. Did not seem to have any effect on her at all.  I tried it again this morning  (20 drops) I hope that now that she is getting additional exercise that it may do something.  This morning before I gave her the RR I took her for a walk and she was really dragging. she could not keep up with the brisk walk. So she seems tired from the 2 walks a day she is getting.

I setup the skype and got it on my work Laptop, so I can talk to her today, I also put the tv back this morning.

We will see if she carries on today.
Back to top Go down
msav
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Separation anxiety since loss of companion   Separation anxiety since loss of companion - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 26, 2014 12:36 pm

I went to 30 drops of rescue remedy this morning. and last night I gave her 20 drops. She is howling like crazy this morning. Even with my skype call she ignores me. Has no effect on her howling. She is tired but she still howls.

Yesterday after the dog walker brought her back home she started howling again.

I am really at a loss now. Nothing has worked, I don't think I have any other options but to get a professional involved and pay the big bucks.

Back to top Go down
riggaberto
Puppy
Puppy
riggaberto

Male Join date : 2013-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Separation anxiety since loss of companion   Separation anxiety since loss of companion - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 7:04 pm

Haven't tried this myself but I've heard good things - Thunder Shirt.
Back to top Go down
msav
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Separation anxiety since loss of companion   Separation anxiety since loss of companion - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 7:44 pm

funny you should bring that up. I came across this the other day. I am going to go to petsmart and pick one up this weekend and try it out.
Back to top Go down
msav
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Separation anxiety since loss of companion   Separation anxiety since loss of companion - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 02, 2014 4:31 am

I just picked up a Thundershirt. i put it on her for an initial fit. I then went to the store. I was back in a couple of hours. when I came into the house I am normally greeted with the standard husky greeting. I got nothing. I went and found her in the bedroom just sitting there. I still got no greeting. A couple of hours later I realized she was still wearing it. I started to take it off of her and she ran away from me. I finally got it off her. I don't think she wanted me to take it off of her.

The real proof will be Monday when i go back to work.

I am real skeptical that this stupid little shirt will do anything. But I am desperate and will try anything. so far it looks promising.
Back to top Go down
msav
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Separation anxiety since loss of companion   Separation anxiety since loss of companion - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 03, 2014 2:19 pm

so much for the Thundershirt. I was a fool to think it would be my solution.

I think she just misses us while we are at work. The skype idea does not work she hears it and just howls more.

I am out of ideas and options.
Back to top Go down
ramoscl
Teenager
Teenager
ramoscl

Female Join date : 2012-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Separation anxiety since loss of companion   Separation anxiety since loss of companion - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 05, 2014 6:41 am

I was wondering if perhaps you have a neighbor who wouldn't mind having her hang out at their place during the day. Perhaps you could barter something for it/ Ie if they have a dog walk their dog when you walk yours for free baby sitting ( yes babysitting ... Huskies aren't dogs they are people lol)
Back to top Go down
msav
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Separation anxiety since loss of companion   Separation anxiety since loss of companion - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 05, 2014 11:35 am

My neighbors are not really dog people or responsible. I would not trust them.

They have already complained about the howling and are not really reasonable.  something has to have triggered this as she just started this in january. and her companion died in july.  The only thing we changed is we started taking her on walks at 2:30am when we wake up. We leave for work at 4:00am and get back home at 3:30pm. she generally starts howling about 9:00- 12:00.
Back to top Go down
ramoscl
Teenager
Teenager
ramoscl

Female Join date : 2012-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Separation anxiety since loss of companion   Separation anxiety since loss of companion - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 05, 2014 11:52 am

ok that sucks. if you lived near me i'd let her hang out here lol would help tire out my husky lol. I'll keep thinking about it and if i get any other ideas I'll let you know.

Have you spoke to your vet? I don't like putting living things on meds if they don't need it but perhaps a doggy anti anxiety medication would help. The last thing you need is someone complaining about the noise.

Ideally you should take her to work with you, but i'm sensing that is not an option.
Back to top Go down
msav
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Separation anxiety since loss of companion   Separation anxiety since loss of companion - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 05, 2014 12:00 pm

I took her to work once when I was asked to work late. everyone loved her. She was a little timid with the CEO of the company. (not good) Oh well.

I am sure they would probably let me. But I do not think it would look good to the rest of the employees. All it takes is one person to say they are allergic or that they are scared of dogs and that is the end of that. I am still trying to take her once a week for all day play at the Wag hotel. I got a first time package for 5 days at half price. I don't think I could afford it at full price.
Back to top Go down
msav
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Separation anxiety since loss of companion   Separation anxiety since loss of companion - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 27, 2014 11:05 am

well I have been taking Kokini to work a few days a week. On days that I leave her home when has escalated to jumping up on the furniture and trying to grab the leash of the hook. She howls much louder and longer and runs in and out of the house almost consistently.

She is fine for the first 4 hours after I leave the house. Then for some reason all hell breaks loose. I am going to try and take her to work everyday, I am not sure if this is going to fly though. we will see if someone complains. All it takes is one person uncomfortable to ruin it.

I have been granted a 1 day a week work from home day so that helps as well.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Separation anxiety since loss of companion   Separation anxiety since loss of companion - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Separation anxiety since loss of companion

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2