It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Changes in behavior

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Nikita-bo-beeta
Newborn
Newborn
Nikita-bo-beeta

Changes in behavior Empty
PostSubject: Changes in behavior   Changes in behavior EmptyFri Jan 31, 2014 10:41 pm

Hey there! I have a few minor issues with Nikita's recent behaviors:

1. She used to be so good about walking on the leash, but now when we're going from the truck to the house, she gets extremely anxious and HAS to get into the house. She whines and almost pulls my arm out of the socket! There are two dogs next door, and at first I thought it was because she was scared of them, but she does it even when they aren't outside. I'm not really sure what that's about. When we're going from the vehicle to the dog park, same thing. She NEEDS to get into that park. Any ideas? Even when we went to obedience, she was really anxious on the leash. She's totally fine around other dogs at the dog park, and plays really well. But when she's on her leash, she get anxious. Like I said, she used to be AWESOME on her leash. Didn't pull, was fine around other dogs. Now, I'm not sure what happened! the behavior started around September/October, when we moved in with my roommate, who has two dogs. Her two dogs pull SO BAD when they are on their leashes. Did Nikita pick it up from them? She's fine just going for walks, but when it comes to going to and from the truck, or walking around other dogs, she gets really anxious. Any ideas as to why she does this? Or suggestions on how to stop it?

2. She completely stopped chewing at about 7 months. It was awesome. Now, at 10 months, she chews mittens, toques, scarves, shoes, and, her favorite, pieces of paper! What?! When we're driving, she chews her leash, and her poop bag holder (we've gone through three). Why this change??

These changes came when we moved in with my roommate and her dogs. Could she be re-learning these bad behaviors from them?
Back to top Go down
GenaG
Puppy
Puppy
GenaG

Female Join date : 2012-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Changes in behavior   Changes in behavior EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 2:16 am

That is a possibility. Ask your roommate if those are common behaviours in her dogs. My one dog caught on to weird behaviours from his best friend, whom was allergic to grass and dust and stuff. After hanging around him for only an hour he would start to mimic him.

As for the leash, I would start by keeping the leash on him while he is in the house, let him drag it around. If he is chewing on it, spray it with a taste he doesn't like (some people use hot sauce, you can buy some at the pet store as well), walk from house to truck as often as you can. Even if you're going for a walk, walk from the house to the truck and pause, then continue on with your walk. While walking to and from the truck, reward her, like, a lot. Make it a really positive thing. It COULD be that she is really anxious to go see other dogs. Like she is pulling like crazy to get in the house because the other dogs are in there and to the dog park because there are other dogs around. Don't let her pull you around if you don't like it. Still let her know that you are the one in charge and you are the one who decides where you guys are going.

For the chewing, that can happen, just be patient and keep an eye on her, it will pass. Just make sure there are no things laying around or within her reach to tempt her, eventually it will stop again. If not, then you may want to make sure that she doesn't have any toothache or mouth related pain that is causing her to chew.
Back to top Go down
GenaG
Puppy
Puppy
GenaG

Female Join date : 2012-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Changes in behavior   Changes in behavior EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 2:17 am

I'm really sorry that I used he the first few times. Just ignore that and read them as she! Smile
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

Female Join date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Changes in behavior   Changes in behavior EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 12:26 pm

Sounds like you may have a bratty teenager on your hands! Oftentimes around this age dogs "regress" in their training and their behavior may change. It's totally normal and is often called the "teenage phase." However, it is also quite possible the changes could have been triggered or escalated from the move. Moving can be quite stressful for dogs, and add in the fact that you're moving into an already established "pack," your dog is probably more than a little uncomfortable. But, I don't think she could be "learning" new behaviors from the other dogs; the new environment and new situation, along with the teenage stage of life your dog is currently in, likely all combined to trigger the behavior changes.

Stay calm and positive and go slow with her. You may have to keep working on some things and go all the way back to Step 1 with others. Do your best to make her comfortable in her new environment and with her new pack members. Once she's settled in, you may notice she goes back to "normal" or the undesirable behaviors calm down a bit.
Back to top Go down
Nikita-bo-beeta
Newborn
Newborn
Nikita-bo-beeta

PostSubject: Re: Changes in behavior   Changes in behavior EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 10:20 pm

The fact that this is "normal" makes me feel better. She's a good girl, and I know she's not out of her puppy phase yet, but it's reassuring to know that this is normal. Thank you! I will continue working with her on the leash thing Smile
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Changes in behavior   Changes in behavior EmptySun Feb 02, 2014 12:25 am

Loki at 10 months has started to steal rolls of toilet paper to chew.  At least that part I think is normal teenage behavior.  Wgen he grabs one we just say leave it and drop it if we are too late and he grabs one.

Loki missed some exercise days due too cold so not sure if that contributed to his tp issue.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Changes in behavior   Changes in behavior Empty

Back to top Go down

Changes in behavior

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1