It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Pure breed?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Myk
Newborn
Newborn
Myk

Pure breed? Empty
PostSubject: Pure breed?   Pure breed? EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 1:02 pm

Hi guys I recently got my first sibe, Lemon from a breeder. He's now 3 mos and 1 week and weighs 15.2 lbs although I still find him really small for his age compared to other sibe that I have been reading in this forum.. I've been giving him daily vitamins and 3 meals per day to boost his size. Do you think he's a pure breed? his eyes are black and akc did not mentioned black eyes in its breed standard... His picture is set as my avatar but it was taken when Lemon was still 2 months old... Thanks!
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

Female Join date : 2013-09-24

Pure breed? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pure breed?   Pure breed? EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 1:26 pm

At 13 weeks 15.2 pounds is right on track for a husky. My Layla weighed about that much at that age, and she's on the skinnier side despite how much we feed her, and she's definitely a purebred husky.

Going off of one picture, it's hard to tell for sure but it looks like your dog is pure husky. Are you sure the eyes aren't dark brown? Many purebred huskies do have brown eyes, including my own.
Back to top Go down
dlthorn
Newborn
Newborn
dlthorn

Male Join date : 2013-05-17

Pure breed? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pure breed?   Pure breed? EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 1:28 pm

yea that's about what Leeloo was at around then, she's about 65lbs and 24 inches tall now so I wouldn't worry he will be a good size
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

Pure breed? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pure breed?   Pure breed? EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 4:34 pm

Loki was 25lbs at 13 weeks. He is now 70lbs at 10 months and 26.5" tall. He is much bigger then breed standard for huskies and vet indicated he may hit 30"+ as he is still growing. Based on that, I would say lemon sounds more on track to stay within the breed standard or close to it.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Pure breed? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pure breed?   Pure breed? EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 4:46 pm

Myk wrote:
He's now 3 mos and 1 week and weighs 15.2 lbs although I still find him really small for his age compared to other sibe that I have been reading in this forum.

don't let what you see here cloud your judgement, many of our wonderful sibs on this site are much larger then what the breed standard calls for. there is no real way to know what his final size will be unless you look at his parents. and he will grow till he is about 2yrs old. dont try beefing him up, huskies stay lean till that age as well. I got lucky and my boy and girl are right in breed standard and i adopted them both so i dont know what they were when they were younger. my boy was in the low 50's in his younger yrs and has been steady at 59lbs the last 2yrs, he is almost 6. my girl is up and down on the scale between 42-46lbs she is also all fur and is almost 11.

Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

Pure breed? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pure breed?   Pure breed? EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 4:52 pm

In terms of the eyes, my puppy has brown eyes, but they were extremely dark at that age. I can see how you might think they are black, but they will lighten a bit as he gets older. He may always have dark brown eyes, but eventually you'll be able to tell they are brown. Smile
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

Pure breed? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pure breed?   Pure breed? EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 5:10 pm

Ditto. Link has very dark brown eyes, like a dark red ale color. When he was young we thought he was blind because they were so black and we could never detect any movement.

They lightened over time and his eye folds became larger (still almond shaped!) to where movement could be detected, finally. Now they are quite expressive.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Pure breed? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pure breed?   Pure breed? EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 5:15 pm

By the way, he's adorable, but why did you call him Lemon?

jbealer is right, overfeeding will just make him fatter, it won't make him grow. Wink
Back to top Go down
Myk
Newborn
Newborn
Myk

Pure breed? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pure breed?   Pure breed? EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 12:20 am

Thabks for the response & advise everyone Smile glad to hear that he's just right il just check his eyes from time to time and see if the color will lighten Smile

@ Wpskier222 he's really fun to be with i got him for myself & my 6 mos. old kid to play with when he grew up Smile named him Lemon cause we're into fruits business so we decided to name him with one of the fruits. Originally i like the name shadow Smile
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

Pure breed? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pure breed?   Pure breed? EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 12:41 am

I think Lemon is a cute name! All the more fitting for him since it has meaning to your family. More pics, please! Smile
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

Pure breed? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pure breed?   Pure breed? EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 2:05 am

Haha, I love the name Lemon! Very cute pup you have there.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Pure breed? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pure breed?   Pure breed? EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 9:56 am

Aw! That's a really cute name. Smile I agree with Liz, more pix needed!
Back to top Go down
Myk
Newborn
Newborn
Myk

Pure breed? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pure breed?   Pure breed? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 5:47 am

Hi Everyone, its been a long time I just want to update everybody, below are the links to Lemon's recent photos. He's now 18 weeks old, he still look short (for me) but his body mass has grown a lot Smile

https://2img.net/h/i35.photobucket.com/albums/d175/myk_hui/DSC_5720_zpsf2c94987.jpg
https://2img.net/h/i35.photobucket.com/albums/d175/myk_hui/DSC_5707_zps46ad39c1.jpg
https://2img.net/h/i35.photobucket.com/albums/d175/myk_hui/DSC_5708-1_zpsea222776.jpg
https://2img.net/h/i35.photobucket.com/albums/d175/myk_hui/DSC_5699_zps23558c6a.jpg
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

Pure breed? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pure breed?   Pure breed? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 8:24 am

Something looks off to me ... Maybe sheltie x husky? Some sort of collie, there's just something about the face that makes me think he's mixed. Maybe even the corgi x husky mix that's been floating around lately.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Pure breed? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pure breed?   Pure breed? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 8:34 am

Is it the feathering throwing you off, Kelly? It's not the most common, but not abnormal either. Kinda like he might have the wooly gene in him, but barely expressed. We've seen other members with dogs with similar feathering on the head and it's not necessarily indicative of a mix. He looks all husky to me.

Senior
Senior
capellalayla

Pure breed? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pure breed?   Pure breed? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 8:42 am

I was going to say wooly, too. Either way, he's super cute!
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Pure breed? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pure breed?   Pure breed? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 8:49 am

I think he's pure husky and may or may not be a wooly. He might just have an extra plush coat. His face, body and head all look husky. It could just be his puppy coat at this point and it's hard to tell if he will keep that much coat or it will change as he grows. He's really cute. Smile
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

Pure breed? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pure breed?   Pure breed? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 11:52 am

Aww, he is so adorable. You can really tell that his eyes are brown now in those pics. Smile
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

Pure breed? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pure breed?   Pure breed? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 3:08 pm

It's weird - my eyes must not be working right today. I'm not sure if it's the angles of some of the pictures, but his head looks like it's almost full grown and his body is trying to catch up... I think Val's right - the feathering is throwing me off... Very cute though! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pure breed? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pure breed?   Pure breed? Empty

Back to top Go down

Pure breed?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1