It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Here's how I tire my Husky!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rundown
Puppy
Puppy

Male Join date : 2013-05-18

Here's how I tire my Husky! Empty
PostSubject: Here's how I tire my Husky!   Here's how I tire my Husky! EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 8:23 pm

Thought I'd share this with you guys. Finally managed to make a decent video with enough daylight to actually see something.

This is the start of his weekly 10-15 miles run. Some people wanted to see how I do it.

Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Here's how I tire my Husky!   Here's how I tire my Husky! EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 8:32 pm

I would not say this is the "best" way to tire out a husky. Honestly, its the best way to lose or injure your husky as they can run for miles and find places where a car cannot follow, or trip in front of the vehicle. And to me that seems extremely dangerous. If you're paying attention to the video camera instead of your dog, or even if you're paying direct attention to only the wheel and your dog, an accident could happen. I'm sorry if it seems rude to say something negative about it, but to me this does not seem like a good way to exercise any dog.

Last edited by Mobezilla on Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rundown
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Here's how I tire my Husky!   Here's how I tire my Husky! EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 8:48 pm

I get your point that it's not the ''best'' way but it is my way. I actualy thought about my title and edited it before your comment.

I've spent an insane amount of time training my dog to be able to do things like this. Countless hours day after day of intense training paid to the point where I can safely do this activity. I've not used a leash on walks for over a year now and not once did he try to run away from me. His recall is 100% effective.

I did not even use any commands during the video and my dog knows exactly what to do.

The street I used to do this is completely deserted. I know it like the back of my hand and so does my dog. My attention is not on the camera at all. Don't know how you can say this since a lot of the time the dog isn't even on screen. 100% of my focus is to the road and the dog. I just point the phone towards the window.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Here's how I tire my Husky!   Here's how I tire my Husky! EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 8:55 pm

I completely agree with Megan. Wow ...
Back to top Go down
Rundown
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Here's how I tire my Husky!   Here's how I tire my Husky! EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 10:30 pm

Don't know what you guys are afraid of. I'm not going to run him over. And there are no other cars on this road.

He's not running where he wants to. He runs where he has been trained to run. If he really wanted to run away he'd cut through the snow and it'd be that.

Everything is structured even if it doesn't seem like it. But that's the point.

Just chill out. I didn't just open the door and start driving hoping he'd follow. And don't think my eyes are the camera for god's sake...
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Here's how I tire my Husky!   Here's how I tire my Husky! EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 10:27 am

I'm not gonna chastise you for this, but you might want to just say, 'don't try this at home' or put a stern warning in your original post, and maybe detail a little bit about your extensive training routine so some yahoo doesn't think it's a great idea and just strap their husky up to their car and hope for the best. I know you've talked about your recall training somewhere before, but it might be good to mention something about how you trained this... Personally, I believe you know your dog best and if you feel it's safe, then that's your judgement call to make, and I have no judgement against you for that. I just wouldn't want someone else to try it and end up losing,hurting, or killing their dog. I don't worry about your dog specifically, but like I said, I don't want someone else to try it. Everyone is always looking for ways to wear out their huskies, and this might be tempting to try for some without putting the work in.

I have to admit though, I am intrigued and impressed, although I DON'T encourage anyone else on the planet to try it! I have been extensively training recall as well and am slowly letting my pup have more freedom in safe areas. I definitely don't trust him 100% though, and I always have a long drag line attached in case he decides not to come, I can reel him in.

That said, I have a few questions, out of pure curiosity:

1. How old is your dog?
2. How many miles do you do at a time?
3. How many times a week do you do this?

Back to top Go down
xredrainx
Teenager
Teenager
xredrainx

Male Join date : 2012-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Here's how I tire my Husky!   Here's how I tire my Husky! EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 10:33 am

Not the first time I've seen someone do this to tire out a dog it's an... ok method, I'd personally be afraid of doing this in a car on the road because I don't trust other drivers and other things. I would feel more comfortable doing something like this using a horse or dirt bike or snowmobile or an ATV off road/in the woods.

In terms of the off leash comment I would just relax his pup seems a bit older from what I can tell and if he would have run off he would have done it in the first couple minutes of this activity. I understand Huskies are runners but understand there are people put in work to make their dog the exception.

Also the best way to lose a husky involves 7 steaks, a helicopter, a rabbit costume, a happy meal and a homeless man....LOL XD
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Here's how I tire my Husky!   Here's how I tire my Husky! EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 10:43 am

xredrainx wrote:
In terms of the off leash comment I would just relax his pup seems a bit older from what I can tell and if he would have run off he would have done it in the first couple minutes of this activity.  I understand Huskies are runners but understand there are people put in work to make their dog the exception.

I agree. Obviously the owner knows their dog best. I'm working hard with my pup hoping he can be one of those exceptions one day, but he's not there yet, so the work continues.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Here's how I tire my Husky!   Here's how I tire my Husky! EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 11:01 am

Yup, that would work. Not gonna try it though we do have the roads for it - part of Ami's purpose is life is for ME to get the exercise. How do you teach such an iron-clad recall?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Here's how I tire my Husky!   Here's how I tire my Husky! EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 11:32 am

Okay I spent the entire time that I watched the video worrying about what would happen if the dog was in front of the car and tripped or stopped suddenly.  Or what if while running alongside he stepped on something and suddenly swerved into the car.  I think my nerves are shot just from watching that.  

I am also wondering why you drive instead of letting your dog pull you on a sled in the winter or a cart/bike in the summer?  Your dog could still run the same distance but would actually have a job to do, he'd be more tired from having to do more work, and he'd be safer in that he'd be physically connected to something and not at risk of being hit by a vehicle.  Just my thoughts.

To each their own but oh my I could not handle the worry that running alongside a car brings.

Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Here's how I tire my Husky!   Here's how I tire my Husky! EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 11:35 am

Huskyluv wrote:
Okay I spent the entire time that I watched the video worrying about what would happen if the dog was in front of the car and tripped or stopped suddenly.  Or what if while running alongside he stepped on something and suddenly swerved into the car.  I think my nerves are shot just from watching that.  

I am also wondering why you drive instead of letting your dog pull you on a sled in the winter or a cart/bike in the summer?  Your dog could still run the same distance but would actually have a job to do, he'd be more tired from having to do more work, and he'd be safer in that he'd be physically connected to something and not at risk of being hit by a vehicle.  Just my thoughts.

To each their own but oh my I could not handle the worry that running alongside a car brings.

Ditto here. Plus, you say that the road is completely deserted but that you run him for 10-15 miles. So you're saying that there is a zero percent chance that there isn't another car every single time you go out there?

I don't think it's worth the risk, but whatever works for you I guess.
Back to top Go down
WolvenSight
Teenager
Teenager
WolvenSight

PostSubject: Re: Here's how I tire my Husky!   Here's how I tire my Husky! EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 12:03 pm

Back when I was living in California, I had a neighbor who did this with his whippets and greyhounds. They probably topped out at 40-45mph. Crazy fast dogs, anyways..running is always good exercise. Your way will turn some heads but if it works for you then it works.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Here's how I tire my Husky!   Here's how I tire my Husky! EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 12:08 pm

I would be scared if the car hit ice or something and slid into the dog. What if he got a flat and the dog kept running. There are too many what if's for me to try something like this. Glad you gave success with your dog doing this.

Last edited by Hayden_69 on Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Here's how I tire my Husky!   Here's how I tire my Husky! EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 12:08 pm

Huskyluv wrote:

The point I was originally trying to make was moreso this, and what Jen touched on with I wouldn't want someone to see this and go 'hey! they looks like a great idea, why don't I try that with my dog?' only to have their husky run off or get hit. But of course, everyone wants to focus on my one 'off leash' sentence. Thank you guys for chiming in.

And most huskies don't run off in the first minute of the video. They run off when there's something tempting, the grass being greener on the other side, but again not the point I was trying to make as the more dangerous part was a large motorized vehicle running alongside a vulnerable dog.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Here's how I tire my Husky!   Here's how I tire my Husky! EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 12:21 pm

Very true Megan! Or they come back just enough times that you start to think you can trust them and then take off. They lure you into a false sense of security.
Back to top Go down
Rundown
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Here's how I tire my Husky!   Here's how I tire my Husky! EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 2:49 pm

Of course not any husky can do this. And I should have prefaced with a ''Don't try this at home''.

But like I said before, I have 100% trust in my dog. My next video is going to be a recall demonstration. Seriously, you guys need to relax he's NOT going to run away from me.

I can understand some of you are nervous about the car being so close to him. But honestly at the speed i'm going I can easily avoid him. I'd love to invite some of you to just come with me and experience this. I'm sure it'd put your fears to bed. I'm not sure I can convince you with words.

I do use a sleigh to make him pull but I can tell you he loves to run much more than he loves to pull. He's much more excited when he sees his running place than his sleigh.

And to answer your questions Jen : 1- He is 3 years old
2- I do between 10 and 20 miles. 30-60 minutes @ 15-20mph.
3- Once a week with regular working walks.

Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Here's how I tire my Husky!   Here's how I tire my Husky! EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 5:11 pm

I have a friend that does this with his dog. Goes to the university farm and drives around on the roads that cross the fields. He's pretty good at it, but every now and then I've seen him run in front of another car because he thinks it's a game. In fact, I almost hit him one time. I was just driving away after running my dogs (on leash mind you, and on foot), going pretty slow, and he ran right in front of my Jeep. :S AHHHHHH
Back to top Go down
...YouKnowWho
Forum Nazi and B*tcher
...YouKnowWho

Male Join date : 2009-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Here's how I tire my Husky!   Here's how I tire my Husky! EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 5:27 pm

Uh huh.  

I think this thread has gone on long enough.  Everyone has made their point clear and we can come to whatever decision we want.

I WILL say that this thread and this Deadspin article have a LOT in common. Enjoy.

Idiotic Dad Makes Young Son Run Next To Car For "Football Training"

Posts made by me are not associated or approved by itsahuskything.com. It is widely known that I am a misfit, ingrate, degenerate, brash, trenchant, sardonic, brusque, forthright individual. It should be remembered that all parties operate on the internet and any offense taken from the internet should immediately be followed by a thorough evaluation of one's personal sanity.

-Your Friendly Neighborhood Moderator
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Here's how I tire my Husky!   Here's how I tire my Husky! Empty

Back to top Go down

Here's how I tire my Husky!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1