It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

preparing to b owned by a second husky

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SIMBA_SH
Puppy
Puppy
SIMBA_SH

Male Join date : 2013-10-29

preparing to b owned by a second husky Empty
PostSubject: preparing to b owned by a second husky   preparing to b owned by a second husky EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 2:02 am

hi i was thinking of owning a second husky a female one my male pup simba is currently at 5months old. can u guys n ladies give me ur opinion if i should get one now or wait till my current one is a bit older. and maybe give me ur experience on owning more than one sibe thx Smile
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: preparing to b owned by a second husky   preparing to b owned by a second husky EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 11:50 am

I would probably wait a bit until your boy is a littler older and fixed, but that's just me. If you are getting two pups of opposite sex neutering & spaying will be important to prevent any unwanted litters. As I have been explained by other members here they can get "litter mate syndrome" when you have two pups at once.  Someone else may be able to give you better advice though. I didn't add a second husky until my Shaqua was 11 yrs old.

Last edited by CavingSiberian on Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Playing with the Big Dogs
Adult
Adult
Playing with the Big Dogs

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

PostSubject: Re: preparing to b owned by a second husky   preparing to b owned by a second husky EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 11:51 am

I know a lot of people do it but I would not want to have two puppies at the same time. If it was me I would wait till he is around two. Also they learn from each other so making sure your first dog is doing well obedience and behavior wise. Also young dogs can hype each other up and be kind of crazy. I really like the dynamic in my house. My first dog is 4 and still has a ton of energy but isn't as wild and crazy as she was so her and the puppy will play but some times she will encourage him to clam down and relax.

I know a lot of people on here have raised more than one puppy at a time successfully and I hope they chime in. I just think one puppy is enough work for me.
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

Female Join date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: preparing to b owned by a second husky   preparing to b owned by a second husky EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 1:18 pm

I agree that your current male should be neutered before you get a new (female) dog. While I would not advocate getting two puppies at the same time, I think it's OK to get a new pup around the time your current dog is at least six months old, provided you are comfortable with where they are at in terms of training, obedience and potty training. You must also be more than willing to put in the added work and cost of another young dog. You will be training a new puppy from scratch again, and while having an older dog can help, it can also be a hindrance for your new pup's focus. For basic training you should keep the dogs separate and make sure not to give one more attention than the other.

Some would recommend you wait until the dog is out of the "teenage" phase and more calm, around 18 to 24 months old. I would agree, but I can't really say anything because we are planning on adding a new pup when our Layla will be eight months old, right around the age when the teenage phase usually begins, but at this point we are comfortable with where she's at with training, and I work from home most of the time so I am able to provide the training and attention two pups need. We have goals for creating a recreational sledding and bikejoring team in the coming years, so we will need more than one dog to do this, so this is part of our reasoning. Another is, well, that after having one Sibe I now suffer from MDS: multiple-dog syndrome. Razz
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: preparing to b owned by a second husky   preparing to b owned by a second husky EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 2:15 pm

After owning 2 non-husky puppies at the same time (about 6-7 months apart). I would personally wait until at least 12-18 months. I don't think they were trained as well as they could have been after having Loki as the only puppy in my house. If that is not possible, I would probably switch it up and look to get a well behaved rescue that is older then 18-24 months.
Back to top Go down
Bella_Jasper
Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

PostSubject: Re: preparing to b owned by a second husky   preparing to b owned by a second husky EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 9:01 pm

I've got two dogs that came to me together and we assume have been together(they were strays caught with each other and had similar chewed up ropes on their collars ) I can definitely say that they feed off one another's crazy. Separate they listen better but together they compete badly for who gets a treat first, sits closer to me, who plays with which toy even though I buy 2 of the same damn toys to try avoiding this argument! Personally I would wait at least a little longer and like everyone else said neuter first. From personal experience it's not fun or easy dealing with two opposite sex dogs once the female goes into heat. I had to deal with it once last year and might have to again soon because a job loss prevented me from spaying and neutering. There was LOTS of whining, crying and screaming on my males part because he wasn't allowed near my female at all and they both ended crated near constantly because of the screaming if I had one out and not the other.
Back to top Go down
ChillyBeach
Teenager
Teenager
ChillyBeach

Male Join date : 2013-04-28

PostSubject: Re: preparing to b owned by a second husky   preparing to b owned by a second husky EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 10:43 pm

We just got our second puppy. Harry is 16months and it's pretty evident that Charlie is watching and learning everything Harry does. I'm very glad we waited until Harry was a little older and doing well with his training.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: preparing to b owned by a second husky   preparing to b owned by a second husky Empty

Back to top Go down

preparing to b owned by a second husky

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1