It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Threaten by unleashed dog?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Grizzly&Charcoal
Teenager
Teenager

Threaten by unleashed dog? Empty
PostSubject: Threaten by unleashed dog?   Threaten by unleashed dog? EmptySun Mar 23, 2014 7:42 pm

Brief introduction:
Charcoal- 4 year old boy who is a dog friendly dog. Although sometime he see other dog would have crawling approach, he don't shows any aggression.

What happened:
We went on a bikejoking, Charcoal got distract from being seeing other dog which unleash, barking constantly, chasing the bike/ dog. I felt that I can't ride properly without a fall, so I stop the bike after a distance, but the dog is chasing after us and barking at us, Charcoal changes from excitement to panic. The bike failed and dragged, so I have to disconnect the bike and Charcoal. At the same time the unleashed dog is keep barking at us. It seems the owner have no control with their dog. Therefore I have to make the dog stay back before we can continuos the journey.

Solution:
What mistake did I make?
What should/ can I do to avoid the scenario in the future?
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Threaten by unleashed dog?   Threaten by unleashed dog? EmptySun Mar 23, 2014 8:36 pm

People with unleashed dogs make me angry.... No respect for the safety of their own dog or others. Especially someone who clearly has no control over their dog.

It is difficult to say what you could have done differently You weren't the one being irresponsible here...it was the other dog owner. I'm curious to see what suggestions people have because I ran into a similar situation with an unhappy outcome a little over a month ago. Sad
Back to top Go down
Grizzly&Charcoal
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: Threaten by unleashed dog?   Threaten by unleashed dog? EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 9:15 am

Nicole,
I was quite irritated, I don't know what can I do for my dog to distract him/ to comfort/ to make him be confidence with the fear?
I can't agree more with you that is real pissed off (excuse my language) when that crazy dog chasing after us, barking at us as the owner doesn't even show up to leash the dog. If I could I would peppy spay to the dog.
I think we are quite lucky that none of us involved in a serious injury.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Threaten by unleashed dog?   Threaten by unleashed dog? EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 10:52 am

Every once in a while I run into this whether we are just walking or bikejoring. If I'm lucky and see the dog in time I can either speed up so to keep Kenzi focused on the quicker pace or go out and around to avoid, but when I've had dogs following after me I usually stop and throw rocks at them. I have on occasion used the leash to smack dogs that come closer. My dog is dog aggressive though and I know a close dog will be a dog attack so my goal is to always run them off regardless of if the owner is around or not. Frankly, I've had better luck getting an owner to take care of their dog after i throw something at it. It maybe because I make them mad but whatever keeps everyone virtually unscathed is most important.

Adult
Adult
Playing with the Big Dogs

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Threaten by unleashed dog?   Threaten by unleashed dog? EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 11:52 am

I had this issue twice in one walk with Simon. I think it was a bit easier because I was walking also because the dogs were small. we stopped I had Simon sit on my feet. (We have this thing where he sits on my feet and relaxes if he is worried. It's like sitting on my feet tells him that I have got it and he is safe.) And I just stared down the dog(s). I would give Simon treats for sitting calmly on my feet and trusting me and I would just stare down the dogs till they walked away and then I would keep an eye on them to make sure they didn't follow us.

But it was nice that the biggest one I ran into was maybe 25lbs or less the other was a chihuahua but I didn't want Simon to think he needed to freak out at them but I might have been more nervous if I couldn't have punted the dogs if necessary.
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
Grizzly&Charcoal
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: Threaten by unleashed dog?   Threaten by unleashed dog? EmptySun Apr 06, 2014 10:01 pm

I was managed to speak to the owners 2 days ago, but they doesn't seems showing any interest to leash up their and protect their fur baby. btw, neither their recall are solid. I called arounds like RSPCA, local council, police, but nobody can give a useful suggestion. Unless, one day their dog attack me, then the police will get involve. Pathetic! I might start to think again to get hold a spray Bite back What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
WolvenSight
Teenager
Teenager
WolvenSight

PostSubject: Re: Threaten by unleashed dog?   Threaten by unleashed dog? EmptyMon Apr 07, 2014 1:06 pm

Most states/countries (if not all) have leash laws. Depending where you are biking the other owner is breaking the law. My friend had his two dogs off leash at the local park and someone called animal control, he was issued $500 tickets for each dog. I would call animal control and tell them the situation of the animal at large, they will solve your problems. A hefty ticket should teach him a lesson.
Back to top Go down
Grizzly&Charcoal
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: Threaten by unleashed dog?   Threaten by unleashed dog? EmptyMon Apr 07, 2014 2:46 pm

Freya,

Sorry for your friend received a heavy penalty. I am surprised how efficiency of the animal unit in state, unlike here in the UK. I have never seen a warden patrol around the parks in my 6 years owner's life.
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Threaten by unleashed dog?   Threaten by unleashed dog? EmptyMon Apr 07, 2014 8:13 pm

Do you have a number to call for animal control there in the UK? It may be worth looking into. Sometimes they don't patrol, they only respond to calls.
Back to top Go down
Grizzly&Charcoal
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: Threaten by unleashed dog?   Threaten by unleashed dog? EmptyTue Apr 08, 2014 8:04 am

It is quite tricky here in fact, I can't find the department who take care of this. As the council has contract off to company. Sigh.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Threaten by unleashed dog?   Threaten by unleashed dog? Empty

Back to top Go down

Threaten by unleashed dog?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1