It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

6 month old potty training issue

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jzHernandez77
Puppy
Puppy

Male Join date : 2013-11-18

6 month old potty training issue  Empty
PostSubject: 6 month old potty training issue    6 month old potty training issue  EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 3:20 am

He can hold it for about 5 hours and his great in the crate if he has an accident in his crate its 100% my fault. he gives so many signals he whines and hits the crate door with his paw as soon as i take him out he automatically pees , it takes a few min of sniffing for # 2 , the problem is when he is out of the crate and has to pee he does it where he is , i've been making him sit in front of the door so he can learn to sit there to tell me he wants to go out but his still in the process of learning that any tips would be appreciated !!!
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: 6 month old potty training issue    6 month old potty training issue  EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 7:10 am

I understand you debate here. You want to teach him not to rush the door, but at the same time potty train him. Honestly, I remember my puppy having a similar issue around this age. We live on the 3rd floor with no elevator and it took him a long time to develop enough bladder control to make it down, I had to carry him if I knew he really had to go badly. I would say in your circumstance, if he is whining and banging the crate door just get him out ASAP. Don't let him stop moving on the way from the crate to walking out the door. I actually remember running out the door and down the stairs at times with my puppy. As he gets older, he will physically be able to hold it. Right now it's a narrow window between when he feels like he needs to go out, compared to when he's going to go. Meaning one he's gotta go, he's basically doing the pee dance until he can't hold it in any longer (you're welcome for the image). Wink

Practice respect at the door when he does not urgently have to go, or basically at all other times. So when you come in from outside, and you know he has just gone, practice door manners at that time. I think you are accidentally undermining your potty training efforts with demands that are physically impossible at this age. Also you may want to take a pee sample to the vet to make sure it's not an infection.
Back to top Go down
Playing with the Big Dogs
Adult
Adult
Playing with the Big Dogs

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

PostSubject: Re: 6 month old potty training issue    6 month old potty training issue  EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 5:04 pm

One thing that really helped us with Simon is we didn't let him wander around. he was either in an xpen on a long leash or with in our eye sight. Because he would try to wander off when he went potty. Also we were kind of over active with taking him out if he woke up after we played after he drank or ate if he was sniffing the ground, ect. Simon pretty quickly figured out that if he went potty outside he would get a treat so he would make a effort to go even if he didn't super have to. So when he learned going outside is good he would ask to go out more and if he went the bathroom he got a treat. Between that and that we kept an eye on him so he couldn't wander off and do it when we were not looking he is about %95 potty trained. If he asks to go out 3-4 times and we don't take him out he might have an accident. But he has only had 2 accidents this month.
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 6 month old potty training issue    6 month old potty training issue  Empty

Back to top Go down

6 month old potty training issue

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1