It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Exercise vs. Age. Also sled dog training?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Playing with the Big Dogs
Adult
Adult

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

Exercise vs. Age. Also sled dog training? Empty
PostSubject: Exercise vs. Age. Also sled dog training?   Exercise vs. Age. Also sled dog training? EmptyTue May 13, 2014 6:20 pm

Okay I know the general rule of thumb is 5 minutes per month old. My guy is 6 months so with that logic he would be good for a half hour.

I know it also depends on what you are doing. For example casual walking or not very difficult hiking at a slow pace is fine for a while as long as you stop for breaks give them water and keep an eye on there physical condition and stop or take a long break if they get tired or over heat.

My question is more sledding related I have been talking to some mushers and they said its fine to start some light harness work and training as long as you start slow and don't go for very long.

Some suggestions I have been given with him in the harness have him pull a light weight (10-15 lbs) and reward him and encourage him to pull it to adjust to pulling. Using the waist belt set up like you would skijoring (guess I should order mine) have him pull you while you run or have him chase some one else while pulling you to encourage him to pull forward. I was also told I could start introducing him to the springer as long as we stuck to soft trails (dirt/grass) and started with going for like 5 minutes and slowly built him up to like 20 minutes.

I would really like to start training him but I wanted to get your guys thoughts on if that would be safe to start.
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Exercise vs. Age. Also sled dog training?   Exercise vs. Age. Also sled dog training? EmptyTue May 13, 2014 7:01 pm

I would say if you are working with fellow mushers that raise pups and work them that i would go with their advice but at the same time watch for signs from your pup for where enough is enough. i like that they have said to only do it for short times, that is key!

Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Exercise vs. Age. Also sled dog training?   Exercise vs. Age. Also sled dog training? EmptyTue May 13, 2014 8:35 pm

Keep in mind that many mushers when discussing when to start puppies are specifically talking about THEIR lines- Many working specific lines develop quickly, to get them on the trails sooner vs. having to wait. Lines that are not bred from strong working backgrounds, or that develop slowly, carry higher risks with starting too young! At 6 months with a non-working line I would only be introducing harness and using on walks. No weight baring until closer to or over a year. Growth plates NEED to be closed before you push weight or distance.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: Exercise vs. Age. Also sled dog training?   Exercise vs. Age. Also sled dog training? EmptyTue May 13, 2014 8:41 pm

HuskyMom09 wrote:
Keep in mind that many mushers when discussing when to start puppies are specifically talking about THEIR lines-  Many working specific lines develop quickly, to get them on the trails sooner vs. having to wait.  Lines that are not bred from strong working backgrounds, or that develop slowly, carry higher risks with starting too young!  At 6 months with a non-working line I would only be introducing harness and using on walks.  No weight baring until closer to or over a year.  Growth plates NEED to be closed before you push weight or distance.

Thank you for your response. Would you mind elaborating on what you mean by weight and distance? Do you mean just do short distances and little weight. Or none of both? Also as far as using it on walks do you mean encouraging him to pull or just getting used to the feel?
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Exercise vs. Age. Also sled dog training?   Exercise vs. Age. Also sled dog training? EmptyTue May 13, 2014 8:47 pm

At 6 months I would not be doing additional weight and I'd keep the distances within the expectations of an average 6 month old (30-40 minutes). Encourage him to put his body into the harness and keep the tug loop tight, work on his directional commands. But let his body develop before you start building up to anything more.
Back to top Go down
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: Exercise vs. Age. Also sled dog training?   Exercise vs. Age. Also sled dog training? EmptyTue May 13, 2014 9:06 pm

Okay but you think 30 minutes of biking or running wouldn't be over doing it? Just making sure I understand correctly.Because I think 30 minutes of work would be fantastic for him.  Smile 
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Exercise vs. Age. Also sled dog training?   Exercise vs. Age. Also sled dog training? EmptyTue May 13, 2014 9:28 pm

Walking/jogging not biking yet. If he's not to 30 minutes yet, start with 15 and build up.
Back to top Go down
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: Exercise vs. Age. Also sled dog training?   Exercise vs. Age. Also sled dog training? EmptyWed May 14, 2014 1:57 pm

I am finally looking at getting my Adanac skijor belt so excited!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Exercise vs. Age. Also sled dog training?   Exercise vs. Age. Also sled dog training? Empty

Back to top Go down

Exercise vs. Age. Also sled dog training?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1